Goonstation Forums
No more pods on shuttles! - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: No more pods on shuttles! (/showthread.php?tid=6546)

Pages: 1 2

No more pods on shuttles! - MollyMillions - 06-15-2016

Every couple of rounds someone (usually a traitor, but annoyingly not always) drives a pod onto the shuttle and absolutely murders everyone on board with the drill bits. It would be cool if pods could not go on shuttles, signed molly age 29

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Noah Buttes - 06-15-2016

Strongly disagree.

I want to be able to bring my blinged out pod with my to centcom, damn it!

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - MollyMillions - 06-15-2016

I was wondering about a little pod bay on the shuttle for just that reason. The shuttle is way huger than it generally needs to be.

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - somepotato - 06-15-2016

I wish it was easier to remove people out of pods.. or atleast open the maint panel with the pod open while someone is driving it.

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Frank_Stein - 06-15-2016

How about some kinda pod ejecting weapon? Stick one in security for situational use, and one on the shuttle.

Also, don't taser shots lock up pods?

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Fried Ferret - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 06:27 PM)MollyMillions Wrote: I was wondering about a little pod bay on the shuttle for just that reason. The shuttle is way huger than it generally needs to be.

yeah! I see people sometimes outside in their pods trying to use the drill to break into the shuttle before it lifts off, something just big enough for one pod or a couple miniputts would be very useful

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - misto - 06-15-2016

i think if you park on juust the right part on the nose of the shuttle, your pod can be brought along into hyperspace

although it is a little strange that shuttle floor lets pods fly on while most other floors block them, this kind of thing helps keep pods a relevant treachery option and keeps them from collecting too much dust

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - UrsulaMejor - 06-15-2016

Taser guns depower pods and lasers make them explode. hell, even fire extinguishers can take down a pod. In the confined space of the shuttle there's no excuse for some armed crew not being able to take it out.

Seeing as I haven't seen this happen in a month or so, this is probably in response to a recent problem? In which case this thread is probably knee-jerk?

Regardless, there are a multitude of ways to handle the problem in-game, so I think it's fine the way it is. Pods are not the most dangerous thing that can get onto the shuttle (see: chemicals, ttvs, pipe bombs, chemthrowers), and the shuttle is not meant to be safe from threats

Edit:

Alternate solutions:

if a bad pod has made itself apparent, use meteor shields to stop them from getting in the shuttle

If you see a pod trying to get in, you can build grilles on the shuttle windows to reinforce them and delay their entry

If a bad pod is in the shuttle, hide in the command, sec, or medical modules. Their entrances are one wide, so the pods can't get in.

If a bad pod is in the shuttle, trap it by grabbing some closets and pushing them in the way, or make them with metal sheets

If a bad pod is in the shuttle, and unlocked, hop into it and turn off the systems repeatedly so they can't hurt people.

If a bad pod is in the shuttle, shoot it with the aforementioned weapons to stop it.

If you are aware of a bad pod, grab your own pod and fly out to the shuttle to protect it

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - MollyMillions - 06-15-2016

I'm just kind of eyerolling at the frequency with which I see pods board the shuttle and just murder everyone or help known antags escape scot-free bc its very easy to hide who you are in a pod and you potentially have a ton of great weaponry that is totally hidden, and the pod itself protects whoever's inside pretty well. The shuttle is supposed to be one of the harder parts of the round for a traitor who has gone loud.

Don't get me wrong, I think pods are super neat, I just don't like it when they get on the shuttle because I am like 90% sure they're going to start shooting/drilling everyone and there are no preventative measures you can take without being a dick.

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Frank_Stein - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 06:27 PM)MollyMillions Wrote: I was wondering about a little pod bay on the shuttle for just that reason. The shuttle is way huger than it generally needs to be.

I like this since this would probably also mean people in space could get on the shuttle more easily without breaking windows

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Roomba - 06-16-2016

Note that you can't actually drill into the shuttle, you have to break the windows/grilles manually. I think pods on the shuttle used to be more of a problem back when the shuttle didn't bump pods camping the escape area out of the way when docking, so a traitor could just park a drill pod at the entrance and then drill the hell out of anyone trying to get in. At least, I significantly hope it's been fixed - it's been a while since I tried.

I don't think industrial pods are as easy to take down as Ursula is suggesting, though. Not everyone who gets onto the shuttle has access to those things, and an industrial pod can take a significant beating, during which it continues to drill the shit out of everyone around them. If it's reduced to zero health, the pilot can just eject and continue to rampage while the pod explodes.

I disagree with the idea that the shuttle has too much space, though. It can get pretty packed on a high-pop round where a significant chunk of people escape alive. Not sure how to fix the issue - I was thinking a window lockdown button in the cockpit similar to the bridge, but that might make it too easy to escape alone. I don't think pods should be barred entirely from the shuttle though, riding a golden pod you spent the round assembling off to centcomm is often the highlight of the round.

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - poland spring - 06-16-2016

Ride your golden pod off using the trick mentioned earlier and stay off the damn shuttle

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - UrsulaMejor - 06-16-2016

Quote:I don't think industrial pods are as easy to take down as Ursula is suggesting, though. Not everyone who gets onto the shuttle has access to those things, and an industrial pod can take a significant beating

Metal sheets to make closets with are public access, as are rods to make grilles.

My point was that pods are significantly less dangerous than other methods of shuttle rampaging with numerous ways to stop them besides the obvious

(06-16-2016, 01:24 AM)poland spring Wrote: Ride your golden pod off using the trick mentioned earlier and stay off the damn shuttle

That was fixed, read somepotato's commits in the changelog

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Grayshift - 06-16-2016

Pods on shuttle can be fun, but actually stopping an I-pod will require an e-gun or two.

I would suggest just nerfing the drills mob damage. They do colossal damage if they catch you even once, and the fire very rapidly.

Tone it down from 1 second to crit to considerably longer. Or make it so the drills require the pod to be stationary for a moment before striking. They spawn by default in multiple locations and are a top-tier pod weapon - not just for grinding up spacemen, but for clearing out the debris field/Y-drone.

If traitors want to shuttlepod rampage, they can go buy the assault lasers from CARL.

RE: No more pods on shuttles! - Mageziya - 06-16-2016

(06-15-2016, 10:25 PM)misto Wrote: i think if you park on juust the right part on the nose of the shuttle, your pod can be brought along into hyperspace

Last I checked, this was fixed, or at least it was for people.