Goonstation Forums
Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently (/showthread.php?tid=6505)

Pages: 1 2

Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Megapaco - 06-05-2016

These days with hull breaches being more deadly than ever I think it would be cool to bring back the atmos tech. Unlike the engineers their only priority would be to repair hull breaches and make sure air is in rooms. Their department could probably be where the arrivals shuttle was and filled with extra air canister and other junk. I guess another responsibility they could have is managing the pod bays and building/upgrading pods and almost acting like fire fighters and emergency space rescue.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Noah Buttes - 06-05-2016

(06-05-2016, 04:19 PM)Megapaco Wrote: These days with hull breaches being more deadly than ever I think it would be cool to bring back the atmos tech. Unlike the engineers their only priority would be to repair hull breaches and make sure air is in rooms. Their department could probably be where the arrivals shuttle was and filled with extra air canister and other junk. I guess another responsibility they could have is managing the pod bays and building/upgrading pods and almost acting like fire fighters and emergency space rescue.

Maybe when the atmos rework is finally completed, that gaping void where arrivals used to be could be filled with a dedicated atmospherics department.

I think the station's finally large enough that we actually need one for reasons other than flooding the entire station with plasma/N2O.

Until then, I'm totally on board with atmos techs coming back as space firemen/search and rescue officers.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - misto - 06-05-2016

their department could be full of lots of those nice high-capacity air canisters

but they need some kind of tool that tells you if a room has leaks or not

and it points you towards where the leak is so you can find it and fix it

perhaps it could function on a similar principle as the miner's geo scanner

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Vitatroll - 06-05-2016

I'm still in favor of hyperoxygen plants. I've tried fixing airless rooms. Many times. The problem is the sheer volume of gas lost. Losing all of genetics' gas? Easy. Losing the cafeteria+bar+kitchen+ring+pool+etc gas? Good luck with that.

At some point cans just wont cut it. Even pure o2 cans.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - misto - 06-05-2016

yes, letting botany grow atmos fixing plants would be nice. it would have the dual property of giving us air to breathe and giving botany a good purpose

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - babayetu83 - 06-05-2016

please yes

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - cyberTripping - 06-06-2016

Sounds like a good idea, since engineers never do construction work anyways. Destiny even already has an atmos storage.

However, we all know what the real question is. What would the atmos tech's traitor item be???

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - APARTHEID - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 05:42 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: Sounds like a good idea, since engineers never do construction work anyways. Destiny even already has an atmos storage.

However, we all know what the real question is. What would the atmos tech's traitor item be???

An extremely powerful air pump that lets you steal tens of thousands of kPa of air at a time?

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Megapaco - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 05:42 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: Sounds like a good idea, since engineers never do construction work anyways. Destiny even already has an atmos storage.

It's best to worry about traitor ideas for the job after if it gets put into the game or else the thread is going to be derailed with traitor items for the job instead of ideas and discussion.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Noah Buttes - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 11:50 AM)APARTHEID Wrote:

An extremely powerful air pump that lets you steal tens of thousands of kPa of air at a time?
That is perfect and would be extremely easy to implement. However...
(06-06-2016, 11:55 AM)Megapaco Wrote:

It's best to worry about traitor ideas for the job after if it gets put into the game or else the thread is going to be derailed with traitor items for the job instead of ideas and discussion.

I agree 100%

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - cyberTripping - 06-06-2016

Good point.

But yeah, I'm totally in support of this addition. More stuff to do is always welcome, especially if it directly benefits the station.

Although, has anyone on the larger server had any experience with ghostdrones? I'm under the impression they were made to help patch up huge, debilitating hull breaches. Do ghostdrone players do this, or not? I could see a little conflict there if they're good about things.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Arborinus - 06-06-2016

I decided to make a concept map:

[Image: 5G69y6d.png]

If you're wondering what that canister in the center is, it's a memorial display with the description "Each year, the current chief engineer adds their own personal gas to the legacy held within this canister."

People were talking about how this kind of thing would be the ghost drone's job, but having humans involved would be fun. Maybe the factory could be put there instead, and there could be a drone technician job.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Noah Buttes - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 01:19 PM)Arborinus Wrote: I decided to make a concept map:

If you're wondering what that canister in the center is, it's a memorial display with the description "Each year, the current chief engineer adds their own personal gas to the legacy held within this canister."

People were talking about how this kind of thing would be the ghost drone's job, but having humans involved would be fun. Maybe the factory could be put there instead, and there could be a drone technician job.

I like the memorial, but many of the rooms feel far too empty in comparison to other engineering areas. If you look at the engine, it's REALLY FUCKING DENSE jam packed with stuff in every nook and cranny. 

This atmospheric area just doesn't scream "ORGANIZED CHAOS" like most other engineering areas do.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Megapaco - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 01:19 PM)Arborinus Wrote: I decided to make a concept map:

This is exactly how I pictured it being in my head. Good job it looks radical.

RE: Bring Back Atmos Tech Permanently - Frank_Stein - 06-06-2016

(06-06-2016, 01:03 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: Good point.

But yeah, I'm totally in support of this addition. More stuff to do is always welcome, especially if it directly benefits the station.

Although, has anyone on the larger server had any experience with ghostdrones? I'm under the impression they were made to help patch up huge, debilitating hull breaches. Do ghostdrone players do this, or not? I could see a little conflict there if they're good about things.

I played as one, and yes, they are meant to patch the station and perform maintenance. They do have a specific lawset that requires them to avoid interacting with living players, so I think if Atmos people were there they would have to skeedadle and let them handle it