Goonstation Forums
Botany and body parts - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Botany and body parts (/showthread.php?tid=6279)

Pages: 1 2

Botany and body parts - Vuk Farkas - 04-23-2016

I noticed botany can grow, brains (i am yet to see their use) hearts, eyes and limbs they should be also able to grow torso and heads to make litterally plant bodies! These plant bodies would regenerate faster than normal human ones but only in well lit areas, however would be more vulnerable to damage. The new bodies would still need to drink and eat like any other human, and in addition to that would not be able to exists without light for longer periods of time! How ever due to them being plants litterally they would need a lot less air to breathe! So basically its a tradeoff as plant being you can heal from nearly anything in strong light, and can endure lack of air a lot longer (in which time ya might heal those holes in yer torso/lungs) however toxins, fire, or freezing cold, or perhaps someone smashing you with a toolbox would finish ya off quicker than a normal human! However unlike normal humans as a plant being you lack reflexes and sence of pain so you can try and escape without passing out, flinching or rolling on ground in pain...if your fragile body can survive whatever is hurting it that is. Being on fire would kill you before ya can roll on ground for long enough to extinguish it, so the only way to survive is a fire extinguisher (or similar), and then the question is, is there a strong enough light to heal? is the damage too big to heal on time before death comes to claim you?
The freezing cold would be no better, greatly affecting you, while those warmblooded humans can keep themselves warm enough to walk to safety, you as a plant cant generate your own heat, meaning rapid cooling and even freezing solid can happen quickly, unless ya can crawl away slowly (basically at speeds of a human dieing of freezing cold)
Being a plant aint so bad... no bones at all but that means you are far more vulnerable to brutal damage, and its easy to loose yer limbs... or head for that matter! But oh well less organs means faster healing...

This way Botanists can play Frankenstein too, not just Surgeons and Roboticists! Would be also a nice alternative to being borged, and a good contrast to borgs, which are tough but need to be repaired unless they have that power eating self repair upgrade, cant hold items, dont need to fear any temperatures but the ones hot as hell, and can easily survive bombs.

RE: Botany and body parts - misto - 04-24-2016

synthbrains are, as far as i have ever figured out, mainly for the chef to cook rather than anything with medical applications

it would be nice to give botany some more weird/useful shit to do

grow synthmonkeys and synthhumans

but it needs a good way to get the person into the body. robotics uses brains, genetics clones, chemistry just strange reagents the same body back onto its feet.

some kind of cross-bred synthmeat seed with the player's dna, maybe

RE: Botany and body parts - Vuk Farkas - 04-25-2016

(04-24-2016, 06:32 AM)misto Wrote: synthbrains are, as far as i have ever figured out, mainly for the chef to cook rather than anything with medical applications

it would be nice to give botany some more weird/useful shit to do

grow synthmonkeys and synthhumans

but it needs a good way to get the person into the body. robotics uses brains, genetics clones, chemistry just strange reagents the same body back onto its feet.

some kind of cross-bred synthmeat seed with the player's dna, maybe

well we could actually instead of growing entire human-plants like on other servers stick to what i proposed (assembling plant parts into a human) making it more fun, complex and original. We could use blood samples injected into plant brains (thus givin those brains a purpose) or ghost can posses them (or both). Of course there should be an option of directly puttin the human brain into plant body (thus in case of lackin plant-brains and robot parts, a human can be re-made in another body). We could also patch up a body thats basically braindead (no player controls it) for scientists to experiment with instead of monkeys (well geneticists could always turn it into a monkey), thus making a non-violent lab rat for them (unlike those monkeys which tend to kill and steal). We could also make the bodies work as a reserve... i mean like injecting the brains with blood, patching up the body together, and putting it into some stasis or something (so it doesnt rot/starve) so even if the players original body gets gibbed, he awakens in the plant body!

Also we should be able to draw blood from gibs somehow too... i noticed a good number of antags just gib every victim (one even stole heads) to prevent medics from ressurecting them (and roboticists), considering how low pop server tends to be (and full of inexperienced players) antags tend to have it too easy (not to mention they usually start as captain too!). Drawin blood from gibs (or any other body part for that matter) should counter that somewhat... we could also give chaplain a power to help ghosts posses objects (like the plant brain, and the artificial cyborg brain) probably via some relic-item thus giving him some practical purpose! (this way teamwork would be more stimulated, and those whose original body was destroyed beyond any hope, would have a new chance)

RE: Botany and body parts - atomic1fire - 04-29-2016

I think botany revival could be a fun thing, but when I read the thread title I instantly thought of people attaching watermelons to fleshy stumps and declaring "your arm is fixed"
Code:
You chainsaw the wood into a wooden leg.

You smash the watermelon into the person's limb stump. It looks ridiculous.

You eat your hastily attached watermelon limb.

You punch someone with a watermelon, however that works.

You punch someone with a watermelon and end up destroying your melon limb.

You swing the vine wrapped around your arm stump like a whip.

You hook the vine around a monkey, woah.

RE: Botany and body parts - Nnystyxx - 04-29-2016

Hideous plant-human hybrid limbs/organs? SIGN ME UP, HOMBRE

RE: Botany and body parts - Vuk Farkas - 05-09-2016

i just had an idea of craftable wooden prostetics for limbs (or at least legs) that could be easily detached and used as a blunt weapon! (imagine a wood-leg crew takin off his leg to knock out an antag! would be hilarious)

RE: Botany and body parts - Noah Buttes - 05-09-2016

Peglegs.

Please let this be a thing.

RE: Botany and body parts - Erik - 05-09-2016

Get me sprites, and i'll get you patches.

RE: Botany and body parts - Noah Buttes - 05-09-2016

(05-09-2016, 11:18 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: Get me sprites, and i'll get you EYEpatches.

If no one else volunteers, I'll eventually dredge up something from the briny deep.  Yarr!

RE: Botany and body parts - Vitatroll - 05-09-2016

Could have sworn somebody already did pegleg sprites. Google search (because the forum search is ehh) doesn't show anything, though. Might have it confused with something else I guess.

RE: Botany and body parts - Frank_Stein - 05-09-2016

Yeah, there's definitely peg leg sprites around. I remember seeing them too. I like the idea of using them as cudgels. Maybe they can make clonk noises on movement as well

RE: Botany and body parts - Noah Buttes - 05-10-2016

I couldn't find pegleg sprites anywhere.

RE: Botany and body parts - Vuk Farkas - 05-10-2016

we could have wooden arms too which would be like the light borg arm, just weak to fire and termites/ants ahhaha

RE: Botany and body parts - Arborinus - 05-10-2016

Maybe you guys are looking for this?

RE: Botany and body parts - Frank_Stein - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 09:08 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Maybe you guys are looking for this?

That's exactly the thread I was thinking of. Where are those horse beasts?