Goonstation Forums
Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Good ideas! (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. (/showthread.php?tid=6211)

Pages: 1 2

Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - SRQ - 04-06-2016

Okay so, firstly, yes obviously SS13 we all die a lot, and playing SS13 to win is dumb. It's a game where you're either making someone mad, or are mad, quite often. So I accept that, it's part of the fun of it.

However cold movement, that is the sudden rapid stop in movement speed to one tile per second in a cold area, is incredibly overpowered as it is right now. As it it is very easy to run into a room, find out a tile was blown to vacuum, and be unable to move at all for the next 3 minutes as you try and get away. This has, multiple times, prevented me from getting to the shuttle or led to my death despite nothing else harming me.

It's not so much the dying that angers me, it's the utter inability to do anything about it. You're just suddenly stuck in a situation where, not due to anything you've done or anyone else doing anything to you, movement speed slows to a crawl and you become incredibly vulnerable. What should be an easy task of "Just walk to the shuttle" suddenly becomes a frustrating experience when you accidently feel a chill and oops, your spaceman is suddenly crawling. Based on the sheer amount that the station gets exploded, this mechanic is far overpowered compared to other, less frustrating, ways to die.

I propose some solutions to this.

1: Change cold movement to just frostbite harm, resulting in a quicker death in a super-cold area, along with an easier ability to escape said area.
2: Nerf cold-movement for areas inside the station. What I mean by that is it remains the same if you run out an airlock, but if someone bombs the bar you don't suddenly fall to your knees running past the pool.
3: Just like, increase the minimum cold-movement speed to double what it is now or something.

Critical-health movement is fine and I can't think of anything else that's as frustrating as this single mechanic. It's been annoying me for months but the thing that pushed me to make a whiny forums post was getting a monkey traitor round (!) and losing it a minute in because, oops, it turns out a hallway was chilly and then I got shot to death since I couldn't move.

I also put this off because I highly suspect I'm gonna be made fun of for whining, but hey whatever trying to make spaceman better is worth it.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - babayetu83 - 04-06-2016

chucking something behind you might help

also i agree with these points and would like to see changes made based on what is suggested here

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Isaacs Alter Ego - 04-06-2016

yeah i agree with this for the most part. the cold movement lasts too long i think as even after you get back in a heated area it can sometimes take a while to return to regular movement. think it just needs some toning down, not removal.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - medsal15 - 04-06-2016

Move this thread to suggestion. It's not supposed to be in general discussion.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Grifflez - 04-06-2016

Make it so shaking yourself (self-click with help intent) warms you up faster. It takes forever to recover from just a few seconds of cold exposure as is.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Arborinus - 04-06-2016

A layer system with a warmth rating for each piece of clothing would be nice. I'm not saying overhaul clothing completely or make spacesuits unneeded, just that someone wearing nothing but a speedo in space should cool down a lot faster, and someone wearing the jazzy turtleneck and a grandma sweater should cool down slower.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Frank_Stein - 04-06-2016

(04-06-2016, 04:35 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Make it so shaking yourself (self-click with help intent) warms you up faster. It takes forever to recover from just a few seconds of cold exposure as is.

(04-06-2016, 04:42 PM)Arborinus Wrote: A layer system with a warmth rating for each piece of clothing would be nice. I'm not saying overhaul clothing completely or make spacesuits unneeded, just that someone wearing nothing but a speedo in space should cool down a lot faster, and someone wearing the jazzy turtleneck and a grandma sweater should cool down slower.

I like both of these

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Nnystyxx - 04-06-2016

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Cold exposure slows you down a lot (ok), really fast (not ok), and is very hard to fix (also not ok). How many times has a cup of hot chocolate been the difference between life and death for me? That's funny as a BYOND thing, but from a balance standpoint it's just so frustrating to catch a cool breeze and be practically paralyzed for the next half-minute.

The way it works now, you go into a cold area-- having no indication ahead of time it's cold-- and notice your temperature dropping like a rock, then spend a while desperately trying to scoot away from it because it's too late by then and then probably die of oxygen damage. This has been a problem for a while and it's relentlessly unfun as far as 'ways to die' go. Hell, OXY damage isn't even the problem on its own-- it's not being able to get away from it, which is why we get shit like dying in the arrivals shuttle because you can't get away from the tile-wide breach some nerd made.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Ed Venture - 04-06-2016

Yeah if one thing I agree with is that it last WAY too long. Cold movement has bugged me for ages but I never said anything about it.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - lambskin - 04-06-2016

Yeah cold takes way too long to recover from. It's not just that you slow down almost the instant that you enter a cold area, but that it takes forever to warm back up.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Vitatroll - 04-06-2016

I'd like a balance where people still fix breaches (as opposed to before where people were even jeered at for fixing them) but don't have to go through hell over a 1x1 hole.

I think the cold was supposed to represent depressurization, which is admittedly a lot more horrible. Still, slowing down that quickly, to that degree, and for that long isn't very fun.

As an aside, I always shake myself when coming out of the cold. I have no clue why.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Boon Yoon - 04-06-2016

To help, perhaps there could be heating packs, like the ones you use when snow camping. You would just activate them like a glow stick, and have them give you a chemical burn if you over-activate them (like the glow stick radiation). Maybe a 25% chance to disfigure one's face as a space incentive.

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Grifflez - 04-06-2016

Add winter jackets. With hoods. And synthetic wool lining

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - Frank_Stein - 04-07-2016

How about some of those mylar blankets emergency responders put over people? Keeps you warm, reduces chances of you going into shock...

RE: Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered. - babayetu83 - 04-07-2016

(04-06-2016, 11:49 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Add winter jackets. With hoods. And synthetic wool lining

what we need is goretex coats

[Image: 3skEsfE.jpg]