Goonstation Forums
ingame tutorial - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: ingame tutorial (/showthread.php?tid=5894)

ingame tutorial - babayetu83 - 02-04-2016

so ive been thinking about an idea regarding an ingame tutorial

basically to make it as non-obtrusive as possible is just have at roundstart popup say "would you like to see the tutorial for ____ job?" (which can be disabled in profile settings) and it would just link to that job's wiki page. 

i think something like this would be great for jobs like roboticist or medical doctor as they are important to the flow of the game

RE: ingame tutorial - Erik - 02-04-2016

This has been suggested before, the wiki should suffice and mentors are a thing.

RE: ingame tutorial - babayetu83 - 02-04-2016

you say that as if most new players would know about those

RE: ingame tutorial - Ed Venture - 02-04-2016

Yes but it's very easy to see who a new player is and then tell them about those things. Not only that but when you jump into the game a popup giving a link to the wiki.

RE: ingame tutorial - Vitatroll - 02-04-2016

I do think some departments could use books or could have their books updated. Also, small things like a poster listing how to make common precursors like acetone and diethylamine for chem, or a simple to understand picture chart for chems in medical would help a good deal.

I saw a guy inject himself with 4 atropine injectors and 5 epi injectors back to back last night. I was gonna help him, but I would up standing there in silence for some reason. In awe, I guess you could say.

RE: ingame tutorial - Frank_Stein - 02-05-2016

I'd love some VR training programs similar to the blobs.

RE: ingame tutorial - Wire - 02-05-2016

My tooltip things were intended as a sort of avenue towards helping with making tutorials. It's a bit of a big project though and I haven't made a tutorial framework in the code so it isn't simple to do right now.

I do agree with the overall idea. We should do something to reduce the sheer cliff that is the learning curve for this dumb game.

RE: ingame tutorial - ZeWaka - 02-05-2016

Some way to point people to the wiki somehow with complicated objects would be great.

RE: ingame tutorial - atomic1fire - 02-05-2016

I think a "Tutorial" overlay in the form of an ingame item might be neat.

Novice Goggles that A. Tell everyone else that this person may not know what they are doing, and B. add tooltips and other information in a way that is unobtrusive to other players.

Push them up like a welding helmet and you can work without losing screen real estate, put them down over your eyes and you now get info about what a machine does.

Although some traitor nerd might just wear a copy to blindly walk into security, ask for directions and immediately begin opening fire as soon as the security office stops to answer the question.

RE: ingame tutorial - ZeWaka - 02-05-2016

(02-05-2016, 01:38 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Although some traitor nerd might just wear a copy to blindly walk into security, ask for directions and immediately begin opening fire as soon as the security office stops to answer the question.

I like the idea! Maybe have them available at arrivals.

As for the security thing, the security officers could just answer through the windoor table thing.