Goonstation Forums
Gloves and Glass Shards - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Bad threads / terrible or unusable ideas! (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Thread: Gloves and Glass Shards (/showthread.php?tid=578)

Pages: 1 2

Gloves and Glass Shards - h3half - 02-27-2013

From this thread
CaptainBravo Wrote:
david2222121 Wrote:Barbed wire? We already have glass shards and other things, though it'd be nice if they were harder to pick up.

curses. punching these electrified grilles is getting me nothing but electrocuted. if only i had a shard of glass firmly clenched in my palm! then i could safely bash it down for sure.

seriously though, you need to have shoes on to not cut your feet on shards of glass. why not make picking them up require any variety of glove?
It's a good idea. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to grab that razor-sharp piece of glass tightly and bash apart a metal truss grille with it, and it would make it a lot harder to break into places.

Or maybe just give a little brute damage whenever someone picks up/interacts using a shard of glass.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - david2222121 - 02-27-2013

Make it so wearing any type of glove prevents the glass from hurting you while you wield it, but crystal hurts you and makes you bleed a bit no matter what you're wearing, just as when you walk on it.

We might want to balance the damage so that it's a bit more than if you try to cut a grille with wirecutters and get zapped, just to see people choose between getting stunned and taking damage.

...Does cutting an electrified grille even work? Or does it simply zap you?

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - CaptainBravo - 02-27-2013

david2222121 Wrote:...Does cutting an electrified grille even work? Or does it simply zap you?

you bake like a christmas ham. and on that note, i cannot express enough how badly i want to see security walk into the brig to find that a prisoner has cut his hand so badly trying to bust down a grille that he's fallen into crit. please do this.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - Dauntasa - 02-27-2013

I think this is a bad idea

But the only reason I think this is a bad idea is because for whatever reason literally every window on the station is a double-reinforced window with an electrified grille unless it faces space. Is that really necessary? I get it for Security and the Bridge and things like that, but does Tool Storage really need an electrified double r-window? Regular windows barely even exist and almost every grille on the station is electrified. Making a double-reinforced r-window with electrified grille something that is actually hard to break through is a bad idea when they are fucking everywhere, but if they were only in a few secure locations then it would make sense.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - Klayboxx - 02-27-2013

Dauntasa Wrote:I think this is a bad idea

But the only reason I think this is a bad idea is because for whatever reason literally every window on the station is a double-reinforced window with an electrified grille unless it faces space. Is that really necessary? I get it for Security and the Bridge and things like that, but does Tool Storage really need an electrified double r-window? Regular windows barely even exist and almost every grille on the station is electrified. Making a double-reinforced r-window with electrified grille something that is actually hard to break through is a bad idea when they are fucking everywhere, but if they were only in a few secure locations then it would make sense.

I agree about the electrified part, but the whole thing is just part of the standard look of ss13.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - mozi - 02-27-2013

from what I've heard one of the reasons r-windows are ubiquitous is cause people think the regular window looks ugly

mozi Wrote:from what I've heard one of the reasons r-windows are ubiquitous is cause people think the regular window looks ugly
It does. That's true. Things are fine the way they are, but if you made electrified r-windows actually difficult to break you'd have to change other things or else breaking into places without insulated gloves would basically not ever happen.

What I'm saying is that this idea doesn't work with the way things are now because you'd either have to unelectrify a bunch of places, rendering this idea basically pointless since there'd be no reason to pick up glass in the first place, or you'd just make things less interesting in general.

Speaking of which, people in this thread acting like making it hard to break into places is a positive thing worries me a little.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - h3half - 02-27-2013

Breaking into places is always a good thing.

Maybe just unelectrify some non-vital areas? The double r-window grille combination looks a lot better than a regular window. If places like Tool Storage weren't electrified then great, awesome. We can get tools even easier, and why would it even be electrified anyways?

As for this idea being pointless if the above happens: Yeah it kind of is. But the whole idea is basically fluff anyways, and it's not like the game is in dire need of it. I just thought it made a lot of sense and might add to the "realism~~" a little bit, while being funny at the same time (see the prisoner example above).

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - FrontlineAcrobat4 - 02-27-2013

CaptainBravo Wrote:i cannot express enough how badly i want to see security walk into the brig to find that a prisoner has cut his hand so badly trying to bust down a grille that he's fallen into crit. please do this.

h3half Wrote:see the prisoner example above

So you want to reward bad officers who don't properly search detainees by causing the prisoner to die if they attempt to break out? I know I don't want that and i'm not sure why anyone would want to make it harder to break in as it has a good balance right now.

h3half Wrote:Breaking into places is always a good thing.

Maybe just unelectrify some non-vital areas? The double r-window grille combination looks a lot better than a regular window. If places like Tool Storage weren't electrified then great, awesome. We can get tools even easier, and why would it even be electrified anyways?

As for this idea being pointless if the above happens: Yeah it kind of is. But the whole idea is basically fluff anyways, and it's not like the game is in dire need of it. I just thought it made a lot of sense and might add to the "realism~~" a little bit, while being funny at the same time (see the prisoner example above).
Making it harder to break out of the brig is a bad thing. It sounds funny, and would be if it happened like once, but essentially what you are saying is that all that Sec needs to take from a prisoner is his gloves because he will then be incapable of breaking out without cutting the shit out of his hands and dying. As it is, if you have something capable of damaging the window you can get out, and so security frequently misses something leading to breakouts and shit. If this is implemented literally all they have to remember is to take their gloves. Since this is one item that they can only have one of, there will be no prison breaks ever again.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - Wydamn - 02-27-2013

I'm in favour of making shards harmful to use, as long as electrification is removed from everything except the brig by default. That way, breaking out of the brig becomes much more difficult for inmates, but only marginally more difficult for your gloved co-conspirator on the outside to break you out.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - david2222121 - 02-27-2013

My post earlier operated on the assumption that if you use wirecutters on an electrified grille it would be cut but shock the hell out of you. Since you just get shocked then it should be more for show, splattering blood on the ground and do like maybe 3(or less. I dunno) brute damage each swing or whatever. Or maybe just a chance of cutting yourself, because presumably your spaceman is being careful with it while sawing through the grille.

I also agree that we need less electrified grilles, and maybe less double r windows as well. I have no clue where people come from complaining that the single pane looks ugly, I mean, it looks great with the VIP lounge after all.

Seriously, why are we letting people run around wielding jagged shards of glass willy nilly without consequence. That shit is dangerous.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - FrontlineAcrobat4 - 02-27-2013

I don't understand why the Brig has to be protected like it's Fort Knox, all you have to do take away their tools and shit and put it in the locker. The imprisoned person shouldn't be in the brig long enough to smash one of the windows with their shoes unless you put them in there for like five minutes, which really does not sound right.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - Kaet - 02-27-2013

I like this suggestion.
Glass is sharp.

Re: Gloves and Glass Shards - CaptainBravo - 02-27-2013

i have to disagree with everyone saying that breaking into places is hard/will be hard if this happens. at the moment a jailbreak consists of one guy on the outside going (screwdriver -> crowbar -> screwdriver) *2 -> shard *whatever. making holding a shard require any glove just adds "go fetch boxing gloves" to that equation, with people occasionally and hilariously forgetting/not knowing that you need gloves.