Goonstation Forums
Chairs to hold doors open - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Chairs to hold doors open (/showthread.php?tid=5751)

Pages: 1 2

Chairs to hold doors open - Winklabom - 12-17-2015

There should be a way to just stick a chair into a door's mechanism to keep it "bolted" open.

Basically, you take a chair that has been folded, click on an open airlock and it shows the folded chair sprite on the door tile.

This way, you can keep the door open until:

1)Someone removes the chair by clicking on it
2)The chair gets crushed and destroyed when the AI and/or a Borg forces the door to shut.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - medsal15 - 12-17-2015

Winklabom Wrote:2)The chair gets crushed and destroyed when the AI and/or a Borg forces the door to shut.
I feel like we're gonna lose a lot of chairs.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Dions - 12-17-2015

Maybe it's time to make airlocks crush things closed within them, make large enough items hold the door open, but small things get crunched. Also the doors would obviously be able to detect organic things in the doors and refuse to close (unless the right wire is snipped that is).

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Mageziya - 12-17-2015

I admit that there are times when dealing with an open door I normally don't have access to, I'll often wait on the door to close if I'm deciding to go into the room or not and if being trapped is worth it/has an easy solution out. Closing a door on yourself is also a useful way to block the door if you want to keep someone out.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Mageziya - 12-17-2015

Well I forgot to finish my thought in that post.

Conclusion: I'm not too fond of the idea of doors crushing things.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Frank_Stein - 12-17-2015

Mageziya Wrote:Well I forgot to finish my thought in that post.

Mageziya Wrote:Well I forgot to finish my thought in that post.

Agreed. There's just too many doors all over the place for that.

That said, I like the OP's idea. Sometimes as an AI someone needs more time to do what they need to do in a room. Rather than needing to open the door for them twice they can just prop it and if they forget to undo it you can just crush it closed.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - atomic1fire - 12-17-2015

Maybe give EVA some kind of item that can force open doors (or maybe even bolted doors). I would be cool with an jaws of life/hydrolic rescue tool. Maybe it could be powered by an air tank so it's like a better crowbar, but ruins doors (requiring replacement/repair by mechanics maybe?)

That way the crew can dress up like fireman and do this

for an [optional] or alternate suggestion, maybe it could pull people out of pods (if you can't already take crit/dead people out of pods.)

I just like the idea of giving the crew a hydraulic claw. Doesn't even have to be one of those big tg robot things, just a tool that squeezes doors open.

That would actually be a really handy security tool, and a nice item to steal as a traitor if you wanted to save telecrystals by not getting an emag.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Winklabom - 12-17-2015

What I basically had in mind when I created this thread is to implement a way that would allow human players to essentially "hobo bolt" a door open without having to either ask the AI or to hack it.

It's easily fixed by either just removing the chair by clicking on it (as a human) or to simply force the door to close (as a Borg/AI) thus crushing the chair.

Alternatively, it could just make the chair fly off and potentially hit someone instead of crushing it.

atomic1fire Wrote:Super cool mechanical jaws

get in not go out

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Zamujasa - 12-18-2015

Maybe just make it so that whacking the airlock with your ID (as opposed to bumping in it or clicking on it while wearing the ID) it stays open until somebody else (with access?) clicks it. Exception: the big red external airlocks that go to space or other bad places.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Ed Venture - 12-18-2015

I'm not too fond of the idea of doors/airlocks crushing things either. But I think it would fit with chairs. I just can't imagine a chair holding any kind of airlock/door for long. A sense of urgency would be needed when using chairs to keep a door open. A kinda "get in and get out" mentality.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - LinkDaWolf - 12-19-2015

make it crush items if the AI force closes it/give it a time limit before it crushed. maybe if a person is standing in it it just gives a "The door shuts on you! Ouch!" and does minor brute damage. you can still stand in it/go in or out of course

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Doctor Honkington - 12-22-2015

The doors closes on you but basically only to the point where the ends of the door are touching you so it still looks like you let the door close on you and you're on the door sprite. Like above said, it still deals minor brute damage as a means of sacrifice to allow yourself to get shut in the door.

A chair being put into the doorway could work like this...

After a certain amount of time the chair slowly breaks until it is completely broken, at that point it no longer holds the door open and is therefore broken allowing the door to shut again.

Though, this process can be shortened completely if the AI or it's slaves force the door shut and the door simply forces itself to close on the chair instantly breaking it.

Re: Chairs to hold doors open - Waffles64 - 12-24-2015

That's not a bad idea. Maybe make a timer on the chairs so the door still closes after a minute or so of being bared open.

I'd be in favor of it, if it's not a PERMANENT bolt-open method. Only a TEMPORARY.