Goonstation Forums
Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Riot Launcher Suggestions. (/showthread.php?tid=5381)

Pages: 1 2

Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Silvercloud29 - 09-03-2015

Now, I know we talked about this in the past. We had a full thread on it (although for the life of me I cannot figure out where) And even some of the Admins liked the ideas of the older thread. Problem is... No one seemed to act on it. Since the coders are busy doing other things.

As it stands right now, most people consider the riot launcher and its 40mm Smoke rounds useless. Which isn't really the case, but I am not here to argue that. Right now there is only 2 things the riot launchers can shoot. the 40mm Smokes (Comes standard in the armory) or the 40mm HE Grenades (Which are hard to get, extremely expensive traitor items) Now in RL Grenade launchers like these have all sorts of grenades to use. Smokes, tear gas, flares, explosive, Incendiaries. flashbangs (For those hard to reach places) Scattershot (Think like buckshot, just WAY bigger and a lot more balls in the shot) etc.

So I had a solution to this problem, of how to make the riot launcher more of a flexible and interesting weapon to use. Pretty much give the riot launcher the ability to load any type of hand grenade. Change it around saying that the hand grenades are developed to be used universally as either a thrown object, or shot from a 40mm GL.

Now I know what your thinking, wouldn't this make hand grenades useless?... Not really no. the grenades will function differently depending on how your using them, for example. if you click and throw a grenade. it's on a countdown timer, which is good to getting grenades around corners. or do to a drop and run. When you load a grenade into a 40mm launcher. The grenade detonates on impact instead. Which can be very hazardous to the user if used incorrectly. Like accidentally flash banging yourself. Or involving yourself in your own hellfoam mix.

Not only does this feature make the riot launcher more flexible. it also means that the admin team doesn't have to do as much work making an entire new line of grenades just for it, and the grenades found around station or space can be used universally.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Cogwerks - 09-03-2015

Honestly, making a bunch of new grenade ammo is hardly any work. Nobody else got around to it and I've been horrendously distracted a lot so I forgot to do it. I think I'd prefer to keep the ammo system as is and not have it launch hand grenades, but I'll try and get around to updating it with some new ammo types soon.

A thought: with the mousewheel() thing ErikHanson posted, it could be possible to load up one of those goofy Milkor-style MGLs with a bunch of different ammo types and cycle through to the one you want for a specific task - or just use attack_self() on it the way tasers switch modes. Would it be too much counterstrike/mport to have one of those in the armory?

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Vunterslaush - 09-03-2015

Add net ammo to make a bargain batman gadget.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - BlackPhoenix - 09-03-2015

Cogwerks Wrote:A thought: with the mousewheel() thing ErikHanson posted, it could be possible to load up one of those goofy Milkor-style MGLs with a bunch of different ammo types and cycle through to the one you want for a specific task - or just use attack_self() on it the way tasers switch modes. Would it be too much counterstrike/mport to have one of those in the armory?

A side suggestion, mostly because I absolutely love Judge Dredd, would it be possible to have the swapping of ammo type make the HoS, or any Security, say a word? Like, if they switch to incendiary, they would say "Hotshot", or "High-Ex" for a standard explosive round?

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Ed Venture - 09-03-2015

Here's a fun idea. Emag the riot launcher and you can now put anything in it and fire it at people

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Erik - 09-03-2015

Cogwerks Wrote:A thought: with the mousewheel() thing ErikHanson posted, it could be possible to load up one of those goofy Milkor-style MGLs with a bunch of different ammo types and cycle through to the one you want for a specific task - or just use attack_self() on it the way tasers switch modes. Would it be too much counterstrike/mport to have one of those in the armory?

Honestly, having mousewheel switch modes on guns sounds easier than having to press C or attack_self.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Silvercloud29 - 09-03-2015

It's funny you mention a MGL system when in the last post an admin said that we would NEVER get a MGL system. I have an idea. I think that maybe we should keep the riot launcher for sec only, and make a MGL as a traitor item.

With your suggestion, instead of different grenade types (We can still have boxes laying around that are set to only that type) there is a box of Universal grenades that spawn with them. You load the grenade into the launcher and use the mousescroll to choose what grenade type you want, instead of needing different grenade types. The difference is, the sec GL needs to be loaded 1 at a time out of a box of 12. Whereas the traitor version can load 6 at a time out of a box of 12. Then you scroll what you want the grenade to shoot out as. Set box types cannot do this, only universal grenades.

Here's the kicker though, the sec or the traitor versions wouldn't have explosive rounds by default. Or any rounds that can do major harm to multiple people. They would mostly be utility launchers. Flares, smokes, flashbangs, stuns, cleaners, nets. Would be examples of what you can set the grenades to. However if you emag them you can get them to shoot acid and incendiary shells. If you want explosives, you still need to find/buy them as a traitor. Or somehow get your 6 shot MGL emagged (It should cost enough that you cannot buy a emag for it. so you need to find another traitor or a emag. This is to help balance it out from being too OP) with for a traitor, the 6 round MGL should make the grenades stronger. Like cleaners drop space lube. nets shock people. get explosive rounds etc.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Cogwerks - 09-03-2015

I've refused an MGL in the past because I thought it would be obnoxious and laggy as hell, but some of the relevant code has improved a bit and some of my feelings have changed.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Silvercloud29 - 09-03-2015

Silvercloud29 Wrote:with for a traitor, the 6 round MGL should make the grenades stronger. Like cleaners drop space lube. nets shock people. get explosive rounds etc.

This last sentence was typed out as a rough before I proofread it. re-reading it after I posted it, it sucks. heres a better version:
'
"For the traitors though. if they Emag the 6 round MGL, it should upgrade their grenades. Like cleaner grenades spread space lube instead of just water. Net grenades shock people. The launcher would get explosive rounds at that point also."

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Noah Buttes - 09-03-2015

Cogwerks Wrote:I've refused an MGL in the past because I thought it would be obnoxious and laggy as hell, but some of the relevant code has improved a bit and some of my feelings have changed.

Holy shit, I would LOVE one of those.

I'd also love for there to be banana grenade shells.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Frank_Stein - 09-03-2015

Cogwerks Wrote:Honestly, making a bunch of new grenade ammo is hardly any work. Nobody else got around to it and I've been horrendously distracted a lot so I forgot to do it. I think I'd prefer to keep the ammo system as is and not have it launch hand grenades, but I'll try and get around to updating it with some new ammo types soon.

A thought: with the mousewheel() thing ErikHanson posted, it could be possible to load up one of those goofy Milkor-style MGLs with a bunch of different ammo types and cycle through to the one you want for a specific task - or just use attack_self() on it the way tasers switch modes. Would it be too much counterstrike/mport to have one of those in the armory?
Honestly, if that is an option I think you could very well have that be the only weapon in the armory, since you could easily have the different ammo types serve the same purposes that a phaser or shotgun would with flare and bean bag rounds respectively.

Re: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Silvercloud29 - 09-04-2015

Frank_Stein Wrote:Honestly, if that is an option I think you could very well have that be the only weapon in the armory, since you could easily have the different ammo types serve the same purposes that a phaser or shotgun would with flare and bean bag rounds respectively.

I would be against this, it's the reason why I proposed we let sec keep the riot launchers an add a MGL system as a traitor item. Either way the launchers are meant for support than outright damage. Flares wouldn't do much damage to a target. Maybe cause very light brute (On impact) and stage one fire.

Now... having 40mm Sponge rounds (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_grenade) is up to the admins. maybe it stuns people longer than shotgun baton rounds.

RE: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Noah Buttes - 04-23-2018

I know this thread is from 2015, but this thread actually inspired me to create my latest patch, which effectively implements this part of the original post:
(09-03-2015, 03:38 AM)Silvercloud29 Wrote: So I had a solution to this problem, of how to make the riot launcher more of a flexible and interesting weapon to use. Pretty much give the riot launcher the ability to load any type of hand grenade. Change it around saying that the hand grenades are developed to be used universally as either a thrown object, or shot from a 40mm GL.

RE: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - atomic1fire - 04-28-2018

TBH I kind of want to see makeshift grenade ammo involving potatos.

SPUD AMMO

Serves Potatos Used Defensively

Potato guns are fun.

It also gives Botany a way to amuse security since they can give security an entire batch of tators to fire at people.

This is probably a dumb idea but I think it would be a great fun gag item to get out of a hacked general manufacturer, especially if staff assistants use it with zip guns.

Basically just metal/plastic canisters that hold some sort of small explosive and have room for a potato, when fired the cannister explodes and the potato splats whomever was in range. Depending on the strength of the blast it might be painful and used for a stun.

RE: Riot Launcher Suggestions. - Frank_Stein - 04-28-2018

(04-28-2018, 10:14 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: TBH I kind of want to see makeshift grenade ammo involving potatos.

SPUD AMMO

Serves Potatos Used Defensively

Potato guns are fun.

It also gives Botany a way to amuse security since they can give security an entire batch of tators to fire at people.

This is probably a dumb idea but I think it would be a great fun gag item to get out of a hacked general manufacturer, especially if staff assistants use it with zip guns.

Basically just metal/plastic canisters that hold some sort of small explosive and have room for a potato, when fired the cannister explodes and the potato splats whomever was in range. Depending on the strength of the blast it might be painful and used for a stun.

Make it like a ROCK IT LAUNCHER but it accepts produce and uses the contents of a produce satchel as ammunition. Uses a airtank to pressurize