Goonstation Forums
Remove the pay wall on cloning - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Remove the pay wall on cloning (/showthread.php?tid=4861)

Pages: 1 2

Remove the pay wall on cloning - Ed Venture - 05-30-2015

Why was cloning nerfed? Well from what Haine told me in deadchat it was because people don't take dying seriously now (as if people were getting cloned in the first place). They say the price of being cloned is 2500K which when I went to clone someone with that much in their account the cloner told me that was not enough. I wish admins would stop nerfing things that don't need "fixing". They took a step forward by making the cloner open to everyone in med bay then took two giant steps back when they made people pay to be cloned. This was a dumb idea and it needs to be removed not reduced. Please weigh in your thoughts here.

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - robertGN - 05-30-2015

yay I can get cloned after about 20 paychecks... hurray?

Get rid of it, please. You can do something, just not this

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - Ed Venture - 05-30-2015

A and on a side note almost all HOPs since this change has made it their mission to steal the station's cash

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - LinkDaWolf - 05-30-2015

im all for cloning being more difficult or whatever but this is a pretty bad way to do it i think :s

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - thehman03 - 05-30-2015

This sounds like a really bad way to do things. Like really bad.
This should not be a thing.

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - UrsulaMejor - 05-30-2015

get rid of cloning entirely

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - Roomba - 05-30-2015

I think one of the main issues of that much focus on cash is that the best ways of making cash mostly involve shutting yourself away and not doing your job and interacting with people. You generally don't earn money by e.g. healing people or distributing drinks at the bar, you do it by staring at a slot machine/stock market/farming body parts alone/jetting off to space and blasting the x-drone, etc. Not to mention anything involving money is basically undercut by the HOP/Captain being capable of stealing the entire budget within seconds of roundstart.

Also I don't think I've ever seen anyone with more than a few games under their belt have more than a vague hope of being cloned after their deaths. If people aren't taking dying seriously it's probably not because it's because they're going to be cloned immediately, it's because this is a silly spacemen game where you can have a hearty laugh about it in deadchat and wait for the next round.

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - pizzatiger - 05-30-2015

IDEA TIME

With money- Your safely clone with no worry's

Without money- You become mutated as you clone getting a bunch of random genetic powers

Just learned via IRC that the paywall was removed. Thread can be locked now.

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - FishDance - 05-30-2015

First off, you guys forgot about the fact that everyone gets a free clone right off the bat. Zero charge. The second one costs $2,500 and not $2,500,000.

Second off, think about how often you actually get cloned. Maybe once every three or four rounds, if you're lucky. Now think about how often you get cloned TWICE in a round. That's barely ever going to happen.

Thirdly, if you put your starting cash in your bank account, by the time you've been able to die twice you've probably earned enough money to get cloned through paychecks. Maybe not as a staff assistant, but then maybe you can pick pocket a head or something for some easy cash. Obtaining money really isn't that difficult.

Fourth, I think this change is really cool. It gives money some value for a change, and makes you think "Can I unload my paycheck into this vending machine in order to buy meds? Or will this prevent me from being able to be cloned?" It adds a new dynamic to cash that didn't exist before, as most players in a round hardly even did anything with their cash. I'd even go so far as to say that I'd like to see the "One Free Clone" thing removed.

Lastly, whether or not the "One Free Clone" is removed, slap an easy way to pump money into someone's account next to the cloner. That may if someone doesn't have enough cash to be cloned some generous medical doctors, geneticists, or any of the people loitering around medbay can help pay for them. Maybe make it so that when you swipe your card/insert credits into the cloning console that it has a backup account, it'll ask you how much you want to deposit into it when you swipe, and then when it's time for cloning, the console will first check the dead guy's account, and if they don't have enough, it'll try to pull as much as it needs from the backup account. If you DO remove the one free clone option, it would be cool if the HoP or someone with access could transfer funds into it in the same way that they can transfer funds into the research budget.

If you really want to change cloning I say make it

A. You can only be cloned once.

B. Remove cloning all together, This way death matters and if you want to be brought back you have to suffer being a boring old borg.

Either way I think cloning is fine the way it was (or is?)

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - A4Brogan - 05-30-2015

I have to agree. Sorry Haine, but this kind of "balancing" is kinda...bad.

My suggestion for balancing cloning would be:

*Make cloning have a %10 chance to fail horribly and painfully
*Have every subsequent clone have -5 Max Health removed after the first.
*Make cloning require more biomatter (Mining needs more pressure to share its hauls anyway)
*Give the "Drake of the 99 Dragons" treatment (the game flat out taunts you the whole time you are being cloned)

Now that I think of it, why are we even nerfing cloning to begin with? Med Research is always the first to lose power/ take a bomb to the face/ taken apart by a mechanic with a roguelike fetish!

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - thehman03 - 05-30-2015

Alright it was already noted that the paywall was removed please stop making horrible ideas aaaaaaaaa.

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - Anticheese - 05-30-2015

I liked the paywall. People should have a reason to want to be rich, and to accept the good word of robotics into their lives. crossarms

Re: Remove the pay wall on cloning - misto - 05-31-2015

the pay thing was a cute idea, but it shoulda been 500 or some other reasonably affordable amount, so only absolute deadbeats get weeded out. or if someone stole everyones bank accounts.