Goonstation Forums
Station Schedule! - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Station Schedule! (/showthread.php?tid=4686)

Pages: 1 2

Station Schedule! - BabaYaga - 04-30-2015

Pretty sure I've seen someone mention something like this before.... hmmm....

Anyway, I thought that having some direction in terms of the crew's work schedule would be a great idea. It would encourage some more activity in areas that are otherwise not so active during certain parts of the round. It would also give traitors time to plan their attacks based on what is currently going on in the station.

The way I would imagine this running would be that a CentComm update would appear to inform the crew that it is now, for example, lunch time. This would, hopefully, lead to most of the station gathering in the bar to eat the food that the chef has been preparing for the last few minutes.

Other events that could appear:

- Encouraging leisure activities such as group workout routines, a self defense class in the gym/boxing ring, hanging out in the jazz lounge, etc.
- Services in the chapel
- Swimming lessons at the pool

The main purpose of this is to give a lot more traffic to some areas while giving structure throughout the round. Of course, you can simply refuse to attend these events because you appreciate the chaos or you're a workaholic, but the majority of people will hopefully gather in the cafeteria and have some drinks and food with their friends!

Re: Station Schedule! - Houka - 04-30-2015

You know what, I really like this idea, and you cited some good reasons for having it. It could add some interesting flavor to rounds, especially if they worked like the random events already do and a round could have different, random work schedule stuff than another round. 'WOOP WOOP Rumpus Protocols initiated, all mobile synthetics must attend. Party in the Bar.' or 'Space Summer Break has been scheduled for the next ten minutes. Get in the pool, or you are an unfun nerd.'

Re: Station Schedule! - Ali0en - 04-30-2015

Yeah this is great. Schedules need to be randomized though or people will just ignore lunches and everything as they're giant targets.

This does encourage gimmick jobs like chef to do something though.

Re: Station Schedule! - Mofleaker - 04-30-2015

All I see is most people ignoring this, just like they ignore crew and miscreant objectives.

But hey it pretty much just amounts to a piece of flavor text so why not give it a whirl? Even if it attracts 3-4 bored assistants to an event that's better than nothing.

Re: Station Schedule! - BabaYaga - 04-30-2015

Mofleaker Wrote:All I see is most people ignoring this, just like they ignore crew and miscreant objectives.

But hey it pretty much just amounts to a piece of flavor text so why not give it a whirl? Even if it attracts 3-4 bored assistants to an event that's better than nothing.

It seems as though most people who aren't working wander around aimlessly anyway so I'm sure any sort of "go here" message will give them something to do.

Re: Station Schedule! - Frank_Stein - 04-30-2015

Oh yeah, I've thought about this before.

Another aspect to consider adding to this is different shifts.

So for instance, you have doctors in Medbay who are shift A and others who are shift B. When shift A is going on, shift B guys are free to eat, or do leisure stuff. Then later, there's a shift change and now it's B shifts time to work and A shifts time to relax.

This system could help with the overflow of staff assistants with nothing to do, as they could be added to departments other shifts.

And RP-wise, you can just consider people not working during their shifts slackers, or people working during leisure time as doing overtime.

Re: Station Schedule! - BabaYaga - 04-30-2015

Frank_Stein Wrote:And RP-wise, you can just consider people not working during their shifts slackers, or people working during leisure time as doing overtime.

I can imagine the department head trying to herd all his slackers who are taking an extra long lunch break back to work.

Re: Station Schedule! - Zadeon - 04-30-2015

I cannot see anything wrong with adding this in. It would really help when you're just doing nothing or bored of your current work.

Houka Wrote:You know what, I really like this idea, and you cited some good reasons for having it. It could add some interesting flavor to rounds, especially if they worked like the random events already do and a round could have different, random work schedule stuff than another round. 'WOOP WOOP Rumpus Protocols initiated, all mobile synthetics must attend. Party in the Bar.' or 'Space Summer Break has been scheduled for the next ten minutes. Get in the pool, or you are an unfun nerd.'
Yeah, you could easily incorporate some fun little gimmicks. Have an HR person or the HoP get early notices on their PDA of company morale and team building exercises so they can prepare them ahead of time.

-Throw a surprise birthday party for the Detective.
-Tell your coworkers two lies and one truth about yourself
-Organize a charity cake walk for cluwnes disease.

Re: Station Schedule! - BruiseCruise - 04-30-2015

Frank_Stein Wrote:
Houka Wrote:You know what, I really like this idea, and you cited some good reasons for having it. It could add some interesting flavor to rounds, especially if they worked like the random events already do and a round could have different, random work schedule stuff than another round. 'WOOP WOOP Rumpus Protocols initiated, all mobile synthetics must attend. Party in the Bar.' or 'Space Summer Break has been scheduled for the next ten minutes. Get in the pool, or you are an unfun nerd.'
Yeah, you could easily incorporate some fun little gimmicks. Have an HR person or the HoP get early notices on their PDA of company morale and team building exercises so they can prepare them ahead of time.

-Throw a surprise birthday party for the Detective.
-Tell your coworkers two lies and one truth about yourself
-Organize a charity cake walk for cluwnes disease.

WOOP WOOP ASS DAY WOOP WOOP

But seriously, this would be pretty good for those rounds that last forever, if only to alleviate some of the boredom before the station blows up.

-Mandatory Confession in the Chapel.
-Picnic in the Owlery.
-Pool Party/BBQ.
-Wrestle For Peace: Wrestling Charity Tournament where all proceeds go to victims of Space.
-Mock Trial in that one room no one uses anymore.
-Cleaning Period: Grab some litter and TOSS IT.

Re: Station Schedule! - 69andahalf - 04-30-2015

Some events in VR would be nice as well, such as go-kart races, (beach party?), critter dome, thunder dome, and colosseum. Last time there was a beach party the area got absolutely trashed, and it was a ton of fun even if only two people were left alive in the end.

Re: Station Schedule! - Splatpope - 05-01-2015

this should be the duty of the captain/hop tbh

Re: Station Schedule! - BaneOfGiygas - 05-01-2015

Splatpope Wrote:this should be the duty of the captain/hop tbh
This is actually one of the major reasons why I like this idea. The HoP's only technical job tends to go fairly underused, and the captain's only official "job" is to go around being the captain. Some players are able to roll with this and do their own thing, but being a captain/HoP can be really boring sometimes if there isn't a whole lot going on, so this station schedule thing would be the perfect thing for them to do official things if there is a lack of official things to be done.

Re: Station Schedule! - BabaYaga - 05-01-2015

BaneOfGiygas Wrote:
Splatpope Wrote:this should be the duty of the captain/hop tbh
This is actually one of the major reasons why I like this idea. The HoP's only technical job tends to go fairly underused, and the captain's only official "job" is to go around being the captain. Some players are able to roll with this and do their own thing, but being a captain/HoP can be really boring sometimes if there isn't a whole lot going on, so this station schedule thing would be the perfect thing for them to do official things if there is a lack of official things to be done.

It's very possible for them, right now, to start making schedule announcements. It'd be a great addition to their current list of responsibilities, which are lacking.

I would still like for this to be somewhat automated as I feel it would be more followed if this was the case. I also think it'd be a challenge implementing this by simply telling each Captain/HoP to start making schedule announcements.