Goonstation Forums
What's the deal with Karma? - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: What's the deal with Karma? (/showthread.php?tid=4489)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What's the deal with Karma? - Bologna Prime - 04-05-2015

I understand that there's a whole bunch of things we're not supposed to know about involving Karma, so feel free to yell at me for asking bad questions,

Karma's, like, the super juice that has some sort of effect on who gets picked for antagonists and something else maybe. I've heard it's supposed to discourage getting into trouble as a normal crewmember and what such, but I think the rules do a good job at that. I'm going to ask a few questions and if an answer would reveal something that shouldn't be public, just say so or take this thread down if there shouldn't be discussion on this.

What is Karma's purpose? : As I mentioned before, I've heard people say it punishes bad dudes for doing bad stuff. I haven't heard this from an admin, so it could be completely unrelated to the system's actual purpose.

Is fulfilling this purpose worth manipulating the chances involved with antagonist picks in favor of who an automatic system deems a good player? : Karma, according to Marquesas (At least as I recall.) is very complex, and probably accounts for more things than I'm expecting it to. It still makes a tad leery that decisions on who's being shit and who is being less shit is left to the robot menace.

Is Karma even as big of a deal as I'm assuming it to be? : Probably because of its top-secret cool kids only status causing me to believe it as such. There's a chance that I'm being dumb and Karma is just a matter of a few percentage points here and there. Bees might actually not be evil weapons designed to curse all who oppose their tyrannical mothers for rounds to come. Who knew?

"Is fulfilling this purpose worth manipulating the chances involved with antagonist picks in favor of who an automatic system deems a good player?" This sentence is probably super bad, but it's the best I can do while I am super tired.
This is the end of my post, there are questions, yes. There is nothing to be seen following this sentence.
The administration is using karma to control your minds, the truth shall grant you the willpower to resist.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - medsal15 - 04-05-2015

Wait, there is karma on goonstation?!

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - salix_catus - 04-05-2015

I didn't know there was. If there isn't, there should be. You dont stop people griefing by making them fear bans. You stop it by giving them incentives to be good crewmembers.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - VictorMAngoStein - 04-05-2015

because the best way to make everyone behave is to take away the chance to murderbone crewmembers and bees legally.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - Walrus - 04-05-2015

salix_catus Wrote:I didn't know there was. If there isn't, there should be. You dont stop people griefing by making them fear bans. You stop it by giving them incentives to be good crewmembers.

This has nothing to do with bans though. How did you manage to come to that conclusion?

AFAIK: It effects your chances of being picked as an antagonist, if only slightly, i don't know. You get bad karma from killing bees/cats/pets and you get good karma from ???

The admins have been careful to not reveal what affects karma because then you'll have people grinding their karma up just so they have better chances (or on the other hand, unknowingly getting other people to lower theirs).

Walrus Wrote:
salix_catus Wrote:I didn't know there was. If there isn't, there should be. You dont stop people griefing by making them fear bans. You stop it by giving them incentives to be good crewmembers.

This has nothing to do with bans though. How did you manage to come to that conclusion?

My brain aint working so I read your post backwards. Nevermind that. embarrasment

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - Zadeon - 04-05-2015

I heard killing bees greatly decreases your karma.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - DyssalC - 04-05-2015

4 Days late, Bologna.

4 Days late.

DyssalC Wrote:4 Days late, Bologna.

4 Days late.

This could also be true. Karma may as well not exist and we're all being taken for a ride here.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - SpaceNaba - 04-05-2015

Your crew objectives have a purpose, y'know.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - Carlarc - 04-05-2015

SpaceNaba Wrote:Your crew objectives have a purpose, y'know.

This changes EVERYTHING.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - Ed Venture - 04-05-2015

SpaceNaba Wrote:Your crew objectives have a purpose, y'know.

Now I have a reason for doing them. Mystery Solved

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - 69andahalf - 04-05-2015

I've heard from [REDACTED] that working out gives karma, dunno if they were joking or not though. Please don't kill me.

REDACTED may or may not be herr_spy_guy

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - Spy_Guy - 04-05-2015

4 Days late.

You never heard about karma until now? People were on about it even before I became a coder.
Also, for the reasons mentioned in other posts, please don't post any direct ways to gain karma if you find them. Having folks game the system would kinda suck.

That said, killing bees really won't do you any favours, as already mentioned.

Re: What's the deal with Karma? - Bologna Prime - 04-05-2015

See, the way things seem is that a lot of people have no idea what karma is or think it's a big hoax. It gets mentioned so rarely that most of the actual griefers will have already gotten their asses kicked off the server before they could learn of it.

4 Days late.

It's not a fairy tale, karma klaus is real!