Goonstation Forums
Change instant strangle - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Change instant strangle (/showthread.php?tid=3542)

Pages: 1 2

Change instant strangle - Weavel - 11-14-2014

Strangling someone should not immediately make them fall unconscious from perfect consciousness

This should only work after about 5-10 seconds of straight strangulation

Re: Change instant strangle - UrsulaMejor - 11-14-2014

Have strangulation cause losebreath and rapid stamina drain

Re: Change instant strangle - Walrus - 11-14-2014

Weavel Wrote:Strangling someone should not immediately make them fall unconscious from perfect consciousness

This should only work after about 5-10 seconds of straight strangulation

I agree, it's stupid how someone can instantly grab you, mash page down on their grab, and now you're unconscious (read: dead) within 3 seconds.

Re: Change instant strangle - BaneOfGiygas - 11-14-2014

While this being prevented by having any piece of head or face gear whatsoever slightly mitigates the power of chokeholds, I think that the fact that you're unable to DO ANYTHING while being choked makes no sense. Absolutely no sense. You get put in a chokehold by a dude, you should at the very least be able to punch him in the face a lot before you eventually give out, or cap him with your pistol, or stab him with a shard of glass, something. Chokeholds killing as quickly as they do isn't the problem, the problem is how illogical it is for you to become insta-unconscious.

Though, something tells me that this might be more of a BYOND problem than a design problem.

Re: Change instant strangle - Ed Venture - 11-14-2014

I agree with everything in this thread. Out of all the things that need to be nerfed it is instant choking. If no one is around and if you don't have head gear on it is a pretty much a instant kill. It is super annoying that (other then the head gear) you cannot defend yourself against choking. I suggest making it more stamina based like what UrsulaMejor and reworking it so we have a way to defend ourselves from it.

Re: Change instant strangle - Iatots - 11-15-2014

Does resisting not break a strangulation attempt? Genuine question, I forgot how it works on this server and haven't been strangled in a while.
Also, maybe implement some kind of choke/sleep hold for the wrestling belt?
Also if this does get overhauled, remember to make people unable to speak when being choked.

Re: Change instant strangle - Zadeon - 11-15-2014

How abour instead of being unable to speak, it comes out as a bunch of garble and choking. So some words or parts of words may be said, but others would be just what choking would read in the chat box. It should work over the radio as well.

Re: Change instant strangle - KikiMofo - 11-15-2014

Zadeon Wrote:How abour instead of being unable to speak, it comes out as a bunch of garble and choking. So some words or parts of words may be said, but others would be just what choking would read in the chat box. It should work over the radio as well.
Na. It shouldn't work on radio. That would fuck over anyone trying to be sneaky cause as soon as AI sees the messages it will just click the person's name and instantly out the person.

Re: Change instant strangle - Weavel - 11-15-2014

but it's going to induce losebreath as well, if you're going to start gasping any second now having a single chance to speak seems fair

Re: Change instant strangle - BaneOfGiygas - 11-15-2014

I don't think people in chokeholds should be able to speak, because that basically removes the stealthiness one purely stealth-based murder method that people have, and with no other conveniently available options for stealth kills, the job of changelings and sneaky traitors is going to be made much harder.

But definitely give the victim some way of retaliating.

Re: Change instant strangle - Weavel - 11-15-2014

resisting should work based on stamina

100% stamina, grabbed and choked, no issue resisting out at all
50%, half-chance of escaping

When you run out of stamina, you faint anyway, so just don't include passing out at all as part of choking

Re: Change instant strangle - Anticheese - 11-15-2014

Making it work off stamina definitely would make using it to end a fistfight a whole lot more dangerous.

Re: Change instant strangle - APARTHEID - 11-15-2014

Anticheese Wrote:Making it work off stamina definitely would make using it to end a fistfight a whole lot more dangerous.

If and only if this is implemented. It's already a dangerous way to end a fight as is.

Re: Change instant strangle - Berrik - 11-15-2014

Fuck instant choking. Especially since there are a whole bunch of people who will do it to you just because you're in their way or they want something you're holding or something like that.

Re: Change instant strangle - Ebumwell - 11-15-2014

yeah this shit was funny when Smokey had his macro but now it's like cancer.

remove space delete