Goonstation Forums
DWAINE..zards. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: DWAINE..zards. (/showthread.php?tid=2591)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

DWAINE..zards. - Shoddy - 05-31-2014

Let's be honest here, most people are confused as fuck about how to use DWAINE.

I know some stuff, like how to copy ID credentials etc., but the help command and the wiki give you the most barebones of information.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't give you even half of the actual commands available, does not explain what they do, and does not explain where to use them.

70% of players probably don't know that you can disconnect from the DWAINE network and ping other devices such as the comm arrays.

so yeah, we need some major cleaning up of the help command so that people will know where to start to learn DWAINE, it is currently the most confusing thing to do on the station, since there is no starting point.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Lavastage - 05-31-2014

I would be all for a complete fleshing out of the DWAINE guides. I would do so myself but I have no idea how DWAINE works myself.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Paineframe - 05-31-2014

Shoddy Wrote:70% of players probably don't know that you can disconnect from the DWAINE network and ping other devices such as the comm arrays.

so yeah, we need some major cleaning up of the help command so that people will know where to start to learn DWAINE, it is currently the most confusing thing to do on the station, since there is no starting point.
To be fair, almost every TermOS terminal on the station starts connected to the mainframe, typing help while connected to the mainframe only gives DWAINE help rather than TermOS help, and most outside help doesn't clearly distinguish TermOS and DWAINE and mostly only tells you just enough to operate the latter. I didn't understand even the basics of TermOS until I played with the CENTCOM terminal in the radio room, which starts out connected to nothing and therefore gave me help for TermOS rather than DWAINE.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Shoddy - 05-31-2014

haha I forgot that there was a difference between TermOS and DWAINE.

This is about TermOS, not DWAINE I guess.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Fox McCloud - 05-31-2014

I definitely agree with this as well; of all the things on Goon, this is, by far, the least user friendly aspect of it, nor is it easy for newer players to get into. Yes, I realize chemistry and its secrets are always held up high, but anyone can press buttons on a dispenser or reagent hunting. DWAINE? Much like a real command line, if you don't type in the right name, it just says "error, incorrect name or syntax error". While realistic, the lack of guides, "help" being anyway near exhaustive, and a few other oddities about it make it something that new players are even afraid to touch.

It seems the only people who seem to know anything about DWAINE are (1) People who have/currently work with command line in the real world (2) Were taught by someone else.

It's a great aspect of Goon, but when your only feedback is, in essence "you're doing it wrong!" and you couple that with there being little to no documentation on it? Only frustration results and abounds.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - digihazard - 05-31-2014

I'm fairly new and have been trying to figure out what I can do with terminals in the past few days after someone logged into my AI core, so maybe relevant observations -

Having 2-3 systems working at once that look pretty similar is damn confusing, having that also work across network and networked with things seeming to handle slightly differently (or I'm a dumbass but I had massive issues doing things over wireless) make it pretty confusing to get into, and once you figure out how to do the basics I'm kind of at a loss where to go.

Connecting to other machines seems fairly straightforward but once you do that...well I couldnt find anything to do, like the above I think a little kind of network security book in the tech storage with like..I dunno Nanotransens short manual for the IT security guy or something.

what I did find immediately useful was being able to check access logs etc. I think with some more promotion that those terminals do something beyond looking kickin' 80's it might even help with making out of the blue accusations (can the logs be faked also? no idea)

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Shoddy - 06-01-2014

To answer your question digihazard, yes they can be faked by a person with know how. you simply need to send a login package to another terminal connected to you and then copy paste that to log in as that ID whenever you like.
Although, really you could just use the ID you already have.

Also I might as well lay out some knowledge I have about the thing in the meantime:

The device your computer starts off connected to is always the PNET_MAINFRAME.
You can disconnect.
typing help while disconnected gives different command info.
all PNET_ADAPTER are different terminals.
You can get your PNET_ADAPTER's address by using terminal status while disconnected.
The command CAT is used to read files.
you can use CD / to change easily to the root.
Various network devices can do various things, for example you can print the status summary report from any terminal by:
1) disconnect from that network device (PNET_ADAPTER you are currently using)
2) Ping for devices
3) Look for a device called COMM_ARRAY
4)Connect to that
5) using the list command (ls)
6) There are two files, you can use CAT on them.
7) you can also print the file by using the print command, which goes straight to your terminal.

In seven easy non-explained steps you too can have access to useless records!

PS: to use files on the network that have been received by a terminal you are using, you have to type "send"

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Sundance - 06-01-2014

...But what purpose is there learning TermOS? This is the question i've always wondered.
Like i've learned a bit of it when the nuke was there, being able to remotely blow it up, but like the poster said above: I learned it from someone else.
I didn't actually know what I was doing, just learning off a string of commands to put in.
The remotely blowing up the nuke thing was one of the few things that you could on it, but what else? What cool shit can I do with it?

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Paineframe - 06-01-2014

You can communicate anomymously with the AI. Other than that, I'm not sure of anything that can actually be done with TermOS outside of DWAINE stuff; you can connect to a lot of things but I'm not sure how to get them to accept commands, and some things seem to not accept connections. If you can actually send data commands somehow, there's a lot of potential, but it's hard to gauge what's possible since there's zero documentation for connecting to anything that isn't DWAINE.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Fox McCloud - 06-01-2014

Sundance Wrote:...But what purpose is there learning TermOS? This is the question i've always wondered.
Like i've learned a bit of it when the nuke was there, being able to remotely blow it up, but like the poster said above: I learned it from someone else.
I didn't actually know what I was doing, just learning off a string of commands to put in.
The remotely blowing up the nuke thing was one of the few things that you could on it, but what else? What cool shit can I do with it?

You can do a number of things with DWAINE and Term

-Send out Fake Messages
-Arm the Nuke
-Spoof access
-Operate Teleman (in the event the telescience console ever bugs out again)
-Program guard buddies to do various actions
-Operate the Artifact Lab
-Get temperature readings off of sensors in chambers
-Check access logs for who accessed what and when/where.

I'm sure there's a few other things.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Pigbear1 - 06-14-2014

but how are people supposed to learn how to do those things?

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Shoddy - 06-14-2014

For the most part, they can't.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Spy_Guy - 06-14-2014

Pigbear1 Wrote:but how are people supposed to learn how to do those things?
Push buttons.
Explore the filesystem.
Try programs.
Visit tech storage.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Ali0en - 06-14-2014

For how complicated it is to learn on your own there's just not enough incentive to try. You can open doors remotely? Big deal, just hop over the customs table and use the I'd in the terminal to get all access. Send anonymous messages to the AI? Just pick a random PDA off of the floor since everyone tosses them.

Bombs are easy as hell to learn how to produce and they provide devastating effects. Dwaine and term can be useful for a slow stealth traitor, but no one goes that route anymore.

Re: DWAINE..zards. - Spy_Guy - 06-15-2014

Ali0en Wrote:For how complicated it is to learn on your own there's just not enough incentive to try. You can open doors remotely? Big deal, just hop over the customs table and use the I'd in the terminal to get all access. Send anonymous messages to the AI? Just pick a random PDA off of the floor since everyone tosses them.

Bombs are easy as hell to learn how to produce and they provide devastating effects. Dwaine and term can be useful for a slow stealth traitor, but no one goes that route anymore.
You can also use it to control the guardbuddies, call and recall the shuttle without commaster and mess with telescience.

Your argument "no point in doing X because bombs are easy to make" doesn't hold water and says more about your approach to treason than anything else.