Goonstation Forums
Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" (/showthread.php?tid=23167)

Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Frank_Stein - 09-11-2024

Essentially, minor round gimmicks that can be randomly selected that run concurrent with whatever game mode is selected for the round.

Built in admin gimmicks so to speak

To give an example, "Western mode", where everyone is given a cowboy hat. Maybe replace the grass with sand, spawn some tumbleweeds and cowskulls around the map.

Another could be "speedy mode" where everyone's movement speed is a quarter percent higher

Every round a roll is made to add a mutation mode, and the odds increased slightly after every fail. After a success, the odds reset and then another roll is done to pick a mode from the list.

Thought this could function as a server toggle, or only be in effect on certain days of the week and times of day, as a kind of Goon-Station "scheduled programming"

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - meaow589 - 09-11-2024

I really like and hope we have event mode which is schedule on calendar.which is something I write in this forum long time ago. I would glad to see some event mode happen in Classic server. It almost a month that we literally not have any special game mode.for example crash mode is is many month ago.
In summary I appreciate that to have some event mode that schedule for it.no matter what ever mode it is.

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Lefinch - 09-12-2024

I am not ever going to object to the basic premise of a "Cowboy round" big iron on every hip and a stetson on every brow.
Seriously though this sounds like a great tool to allow admins to frame round narratives. Right now it tends to be a CENTCOM announcement. Harder to miss what we're going for if you come in pre-equipped with stuff.

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - valtsu0 - 09-12-2024

(09-11-2024, 10:30 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Another could be "speedy mode" where everyone's movement speed is a quarter percent higher

I think modifying base attributes should be off limits for gamemodes, even if very small.

Otherwise a very good idea. Occasionally having themes for rounds would be fun

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Glamurio - 09-12-2024

Love the idea, very much in favor of this. But I also agree that it should be thematic modifiers, cowboys is one, maybe one where everyone's a pirate, or one where it's a swamp base instead of space and we're all frogs.

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Zamujasa - 09-13-2024

it's so nice to be able to discuss game design openly. breath of fresh air, i tell you what. thanks for making a thread

(09-11-2024, 10:30 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Essentially, minor round gimmicks that can be randomly selected that run concurrent with whatever game mode is selected for the round.

Built in admin gimmicks so to speak

it's your rarely-moonlights-on-other-servers correspondant chiming in with: this is a thing on other servers! surprise! this generally means you're on to a solid idea.

and of course, there's always the " ""random"" event controls" in the admin panel, which already has some pre-round events that you can toggle, like "all cyborgs", "bad clones", "oops all monkeys", "everyone starts at arrivas", and some other buttons i've already forgotten. was "dim lights" one? the one that just fucks up x% of lights at the start.

Quote:To give an example, "Western mode", where everyone is given a cowboy hat. Maybe replace the grass with sand, spawn some tumbleweeds and cowskulls around the map.

Another could be "speedy mode" where everyone's movement speed is a quarter percent higher

some of these are trivial; giving everyone an item at spawn is supposedly already a thing that can be done (try spawning "the_template"). adding in stuff like "faster_base_move" as a bioeffect that everyone is given for free, for example.

Quote:Every round a roll is made to add a mutation mode, and the odds increased slightly after every fail. After a success, the odds reset and then another roll is done to pick a mode from the list.

is there a reason you would do this instead of just making it a flat random chance? assuming you mean "it decides to pick one" here, and not "the odds of every one not picked" (but even then...)

what about mixing them? what about some that are "slightly disruptive" (everyone gets a free hat) versus "very disruptive" (everyone's move speed is altered)? there are a lot of questions that such things invite.

Quote:Thought this could function as a server toggle, or only be in effect on certain days of the week and times of day, as a kind of Goon-Station "scheduled programming"

goon definitely could use more "interesting" rounds -- ones that aren't necessarily full on, game-disrupting things, like (above) the hats, or just funny things in general.

but that's more of a thing i'd imagine you'd do outside of the game, not within it. otherwise, you start to run into problems with time zones, defined ranges, what happens if a game doesn't happen in the window...

say that you decide to make cowboy round every thursday for any round that starts between 2:00 and 2:59 PM. on classic, it's possible (and rather frequent) for rounds to go over an hour, so it's possible a round starts at 1:55 and ends at 3:05 ... or the inverse, when a round starts at 1:30, and now someone wants to call the shuttle at 2:10 so they can start their cowboy round.

disclaimer: the criticism here is not intending to shut down your idea, declare it dumb and bad, etc. these are just situations and things i forsee happening and think would need to be thought about before it can really go forwards as described.

------

for the record, some of the monke round-start events:
* everyone's pda has a funny ringtone instead of their usual one
* everyone gets a random scarf on spawn
* everyone roundstart effectively has the trait goon has where you wake up hung over, but they wake up in random places/hallways and there are empty beer bottles everywhere
* the job slot caps for some jobs gets randomized so you end up with multiple (x) or only one (y) instead of vice-versa, maybe? i might be hallucinating this one, in which case it's my idea, don't steal it

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Frank_Stein - 09-13-2024

Quote:is there a reason you would do this instead of just making it a flat random chance? assuming you mean "it decides to pick one" here, and not "the odds of every one not picked" (but even then...)

My thought was first it decides if one will be added, then picks one to add. The increasing chances to make it more likely over time one would be added. I figured since a second roll would happen where any number of extra elements could be added, it didn't need to be rarer to keep it fresh.

I hadn't considered mixing them, I just figured one gets picked, and now you get whatever the normal round was with an extra bit

Quote:but that's more of a thing i'd imagine you'd do outside of the game, not within it. otherwise, you start to run into problems with time zones, defined ranges, what happens if a game doesn't happen in the window...

This is true. What I had in mind somewhat like when all the goofy code was ran on the 13th of the month, but less overwhelming in terms of impact and without necessarily being an all day thing

Quote:disclaimer: the criticism here is not intending to shut down your idea, declare it dumb and bad, etc. these are just situations and things i forsee happening and think would need to be thought about before it can really go forwards as described.

Hadn't read it that way at all. My hope is always that someone more skilled and dedicated can take my half baked ideas and refine them into something fun for themselves and others

RE: Round "Mutations/Variants/Modifiers" - Mouse - 09-18-2024

An interesting one might be Station of the Apes: all humans are monkeys, all monkeys are humans, all incidences of "human" in AI laws are replaced by "monkey".