Goonstation Forums
Changes to map votes - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Changes to map votes (/showthread.php?tid=23100)

Pages: 1 2

Changes to map votes - freedo5 - 08-26-2024

I don't know if anyone else feels like this is an issue, but i often see the same maps being voted over and over through multiple rounds, with the most repeating maps in my experience being cog1 on goon1 and kondaru on goon 3-4. While i understand people having favourite maps i also think that map rotation is pretty important to keep the rounds as varied as possible.

I would personally propose to make it so that after a map is chosen for a round it's removed in the vote for the following one, i think pushing people to vote for their "second favourite" might make the votes more varied bringing a more constant cycle between maps.

RE: Changes to map votes - JOELED - 08-26-2024

I've wanted this in the past, I've enjoyed this feature on other codebases.  Keeps things fresh!

RE: Changes to map votes - Kotlol - 08-26-2024

Or atleast limit it to twice in a row.

Though I do fear people will go around it by saying: "okay let's pick this map, early round end, then get the map we want"
But I only see this happening on low pop with tight groups at best.
Not on Goon 1 and 3.

RE: Changes to map votes - Glamurio - 08-26-2024

(08-26-2024, 08:07 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Or atleast limit it to twice in a row.

Though I do fear people will go around it by saying: "okay let's pick this map, early round end, then get the map we want"
But I only see this happening on low pop with tight groups at best.
Not on Goon 1 and 3.

This isn't an issue really, and is kind of part of online culture. If you as a small population agree you don't want this map, ending it early helps everyone.

We once had to play Nadir with less than 10 or so people, and I don't think it was an enjoyable experience for anyone.

RE: Changes to map votes - Zamujasa - 08-26-2024

i like the idea of the current map simply getting -1 vote for every round it's been played recently, but at the same time few people ever vote in the map vote process (ask me how i know) so, idk. vote? v

RE: Changes to map votes - NOOT - 08-26-2024

make map vote start at 60 seconds until game starts. force a mapvote popup at 50 seconds until game start
stop mapvote force popup at 20 seconds until game statr to let late joiners get in

RE: Changes to map votes - Finnalin - 08-26-2024

TWO stickers for voting!

RE: Changes to map votes - BadShot - 08-26-2024

As someone who is tired of every rp round being kondaru over and over again, yes please

RE: Changes to map votes - Lefinch - 08-26-2024

I'm fine with it, either way, I mean voting power like Zamu says suggest you should frankly be able to cartel me into any map you like (whereas usually without prompting I'd unscientifically eyeball it at like 30% turnout, it really wouldn't take much for people who are tried of the same map to stack it)

I vote 80% of the time for all maps yes (don't ask) and 20% to exclude one particular map whose state of being votable at certain times and thresholds I personally question (but isn't remotely relevant to this thread) and tend to notice that map votes are actually pretty close between rounds? I assume if there's a tie (which there often is) the winner's picked pseudo-randomly?

If nothing else, in the event of a tie where it's the current map, maybe you go for variety here and pick one of the other ties? I always feel like this would be nice for job-rolling but that's really more specific to how I personally pick job roles.

Alternatively: "Surprise me!" as a vote option. Maybe mix in some spicy 1 pamgoC or 1/10,000 chance of fleet for our sins (don't do this). I'd honestly pick "surprise me" in mid to high pop every time.

RE: Changes to map votes - freedo5 - 08-27-2024

(08-26-2024, 11:07 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: i like the idea of the current map simply getting -1 vote for every round it's been played recently, but at the same time few people ever vote in the map vote process (ask me how i know) so, idk. vote? v

I think the vote penalty would also be a good choice, i guess it would be a compromise between players choosing the map and maps rotating more.

Are there statistics we could look up about map votes? Also how are ties and lack of votes handled? Maybe in those situations the game could automatically skip the map that was just played.

RE: Changes to map votes - Cherman0 - 08-27-2024

I dont think having mechanics to avoid picking the map that people vote for makes sense. If you want to play a different map just... vote for it? Often you see when the vote concludes out of 60+ people maybe 5 or 6 actually voted.

RE: Changes to map votes - Zamujasa - 08-28-2024

(08-27-2024, 03:26 AM)freedo5 Wrote:
(08-26-2024, 11:07 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: i like the idea of the current map simply getting -1 vote for every round it's been played recently, but at the same time few people ever vote in the map vote process (ask me how i know) so, idk. vote? v

I think the vote penalty would also be a good choice, i guess it would be a compromise between players choosing the map and maps rotating more.

Are there statistics we could look up about map votes? Also how are ties and lack of votes handled? Maybe in those situations the game could automatically skip the map that was just played.

no stats that i'm aware of beyond. they're logged and can be reviewed, but that doesn't include stats like who was actually in the game at the time, just who voted.

in case of a tie, it randomly chooses a top option.

if nobody votes, the map doesn't change at all, but this is pretty rare.

RE: Changes to map votes - JORJ949 - 09-01-2024

I love the idea as a goon1 player I have resorted to voting literally everything but cog1 in the hopes anything else will win

RE: Changes to map votes - freedo5 - 09-03-2024

(08-27-2024, 05:25 AM)Cherman0 Wrote: I dont think having mechanics to avoid picking the map that people vote for makes sense. If you want to play a different map just... vote for it? Often you see when the vote concludes out of 60+ people maybe 5 or 6 actually voted.

That is probably more than fair, if people do like and vote for a map they should be able to play it.

(08-28-2024, 12:36 PM)Zamujasa Wrote:
(08-27-2024, 03:26 AM)freedo5 Wrote:

no stats that i'm aware of beyond. they're logged and can be reviewed, but that doesn't include stats like who was actually in the game at the time, just who voted.

in case of a tie, it randomly chooses a top option.

if nobody votes, the map doesn't change at all, but this is pretty rare.

But maybe just in the case of ties it would be nice if a new map was forcibly chosen (randomly in the case of a tie of many different maps) instead of the current system. In regards to no votes i guess it might be left as is? If it's a rare occurrence then it's probably fine, if people wanted another map they should have voted for it.

RE: Changes to map votes - Zamujasa - 09-03-2024

i think it'd be worth investing more time into moving map votes to the end of the round if possible, either by doing it once the shuttle takes off (giving 60s vote time, then ~120 compile time) or at the end of a round and just delaying the timer until it's done.

other servers have much higher pre- and post-round delays (i think monke's start timer is 5 minutes? goon's is 3) and there's definitely a bit more room to space those out.

if you really wanna go ham, put a voting booth in the afterlife bar. spawn a portal from the afterlife bar to centcom during the extended setup, so that people can respawn and go mess around.

i still think there's way more value in boosting map vote turnout than there is in handling corner cases, and a big problem w/ it is just that the results of the vote are the next shift's problem, in 60-90 minutes