Goonstation Forums
Violet Kirsch HoS Application - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Server Appeals (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Denied Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: Violet Kirsch HoS Application (/showthread.php?tid=23099)

Violet Kirsch HoS Application - Violetsaber - 08-25-2024

Usual character name: Violet Kirsch
BYOND username: Violetsaber
Discord username: ysolt.
Goon servers you play: primarily on Goon 3, but i stop by classic and 4 sometimes

Reason for application:
I play all manner of roles, but Security is by far my favorite. I enjoy the social aspect of it the most be it helping departments with smaller problems or giving out information, or be it skeleton generals marching down med bay. In the same vein, it feels good to train and guide new security assistants and show them the ropes through their first shifts. Keeping an overview of SEC's situation and what situation needs what attention is greatly rewarding and makes it all feel like a well oiled machine. Being the flip side of the antagonist dynamic is great fun if you know how to play along with antags who mean more jest than harm, but a good scrap with a handshake in dead chat is also nice. But it's important to know when to put your foot down.

To me, security is either the biggest hurdle to player fun or a facilitator of a great round. You get to shape a round's dynamic like few other roles can. I believe I can better do all these things I enjoy as a HoS and help not just my SEC team but the station and round at large. Furthermore, I've seen plenty of my old colleagues make the step-up to HoS and I feel like it's time for me to make a change and put on bigger boots with bigger responsibilities.

Security experience: 
I've been playing on goon for about 4 years now, and timidly put my toes into the security waters shortly after. I believe this was before secass was even a role, so my first few shifts were a bit overwhelming. But I slowly eased my way into the dynamic and culture of the department. I often took a secondary role, following the orders and directions of other officers at first. But even then I had great fun and knew this was what I wanted to do. Plenty of times the shifts either turned into pure chaos where you're more gib than officer, and other times a round is so quiet you do little more than warming a bar seat and watching staffies beat up on test subjects and kiss revolvers. "Janitorial to cafeteria." But I've learned that security is not just a set of batons and tasers to stomp down criminals. In my early days, I only conceptualized security as someone who rushes in to make a hard arrest and use any excuse at hand to slap some cuffs on a grey shirt and toss them into the brig. I learned that it's often better to engage with the person and try to purposefully avoid cutting down whatever gimmick or plan they have going on, even if it is illegal by the word of the law. What experience has really taught me is when somebody is an active danger to other players and the round at large, and when they are doing something actually fun and interesting that enhances the round. Sometimes you realize 2 minutes into the round that this bartender is a changeling or a spy, but instead of stripping them of everything and ordering blood tests and flamers, you should rather see if they can't do something fun. But always remember to not actively assist them or lose your gear on purpose. I also, luckily, learned how to be real robust and deal with most dangers and threats. I no longer go out to find a fight to pick, but there is a bit of pride knowing you can handle yourself, and it does feel good sending in the final report of 'changeling purged' after the station has gone to hell.

Another thing experience has taught me is the danger of a bad temper. Bad temper will turn the best officer into a nightmare. It can happen to anyone in a stressful round with too much stuff happening, or it can be that you had a hard day outside the game and carry it into the round. I want to be transparent and admit I've had problems with it in the past, but I like to think I learned how to realize that I'm not doing good at the moment and that I should take a step back in the office and chill. It might seem reasonable at the moment to make a fast and rough arrest in the middle of an intense round, but this clown might not even know about the two changelings and 4 spy thieves on station and will only remember that they got roughed up and slapped around with 3 words total.

What advice would you give to other sec players?
Everybody knows the basics: label your pin pointers, leave your data disc, get a clone scan, stay in communication, don't break into the HoS office to eat their spicy pasta, etc. etc. My advice to other sec players, new and old, is to be okay with losing. There is no real winning or losing in ss13, but sometimes you feel like you are losing. You have to be okay with being the losing party in situations, not getting that antag, being wrong about something and to move on from that. You have more authority than the average crew member, so it's important to not let it get to your head. But it's also important to know when not to get bossed around or be intimidated by wolf cries of shitcruity for actually doing your job. Even with roles that are higher in the pecking order it's important to realize when you should follow the orders of captain and HoP, even if they are roles anyone can play, and when not to listen to them because truly anyone can pick these roles and abuse their authority. If that happens, insist that they follow the chain of command. If the captain orders you to do something they technically have the right to do, but you know would ruin the fun of other players, have them take it up with your HoS. They will know what to do and whether you acted right or wrong. But then, really do listen to what the HoS says. Also, sometimes something that looks like a crime is also very much Ahelp worthy, even if you could handle it with an arrest. Don't be too shy to send a report stating you aren't sure but still want to alert them to the situation. 

Lastly, remember to have fun, be helpful, talk to people and try to make the best of a situation. Worst case, there is always another round coming up.

What was one of your favorite security moments?
It's hard to pick just one moment, but a specific round in particular comes to mind. Shift started as usual, full station, full security complement. I believe Silvers was the HoS at the time, but I could be mistaken. 20 minutes in, we get a crisis alert; an officer calling for help near escape. A few of us rush there, but no sign of the officer or any struggle taking place. We take a look at each other and fan out to search the surroundings to no avail. Suddenly the same officer radios in, saying they slipped out of the airlock fighting a monkey but are now fine and back at sec office. Good enough of an explanation for the team, but it doesn't sit quite right with me, but I still return to patrol. No point making a fuzz about a minor suspicion. 
Later we get called to the office, but that very same officer does not show up, radio'ing in that they are busy with something. Still plausible, and not everyone even listens to an assembly back to HQ in the first place. Throughout the round we get reports of people disappearing and hacked doors in critical areas. As I ask the AI about the location of various missing persons, I notice how evasive it was acting. I then think to myself: "When was the last time I've seen that officer in person, and not just hear them over the radio?" I inquire where they are, but the AI only responds "Not on Cameras". I get up and luckily find Silvers in HQ and ask them if I could speak to them in their office. Making sure no one else is within earshot, I share my concerns. If the officer has been replaced as I feared, then neither radio nor PDA messenger were safe. They agreed we should inspect the AI without informing anybody else, we don't know who is compromised. We make our way towards upload, trying to do so covertly and casually as we can. Inside, we stand between the dimly glowing lights and buzzing circuit of upload, only my burning out cigarette illuminating the rest. "Has anyone been inside upload besides us?" "I'm afraid I can't answer that." We exchange a look and turn towards the law rack. As suspected, it has been tempered with and given a freeform ordering AI to only listen to a specific crew member's orders, a crew member none of us have seen so far. After we remove it, we ask who placed it here. "The RDir has installed this module," but the RDir has been reported missing for half an hour now. I take another drag of my cigarette and look at Silvers. We nod at each other and start our hunt.

We eventually uncover the changeling and barely manage to exterminate it, but the actual lead up and suspense was far more thrilling than the eventful confrontation. It felt like an actually immersive story line, and things like this are the reason I roll for sec.

Draw a picture! Beepsky's revenge
[b][b][Image: 1d1928ad065c6b155f1dd3375e2aa9eca7ab1bb6.pnj][/b][/b]

Previous bans: 
-June 14, 2022: terrible round as changeling on rp on my part, no to little rping, toxic behavior to hive-mind members. 7 days
-April 29, 2021: responding poorly to an admin PM telling me to stop what i was doing. 3,5 days
not making any excuses, but i am sorry for my past behavior and i try my best to learn from my mistakes

thank you for reading my application!

RE: Violet Kirsch HoS Application - Glamurio - 09-03-2024

I've had a few rounds with Violet before, and have also recently observed some games to get a better understanding of them, because I didn't feel like I had enough to quite make a judgement yet. From what I have seen, I'd like to say Violet is competent as an officer. She tries to respond to calls when they're made, checks in with the team after periods of silence and encourages talking with antagonists. No doubt this play style has been fostered over the years, and it's good to see that her application reflects that change of character which prioritizes a healthy antagonist round over trying to shut down a criminal the moment you become aware of them.

Additionally, I've seen them play captain too, in which they have shown an awareness of duty, but also a respect to not overstep boundaries. I think it's always good when Security players get some "captain time" in, because it's a healthy trial run for the authority and responsibility that comes with being the HoS. From my in-game experience, I think Violet is qualified for the beret.

RE: Violet Kirsch HoS Application - Finnalin - 09-03-2024

i'll be honest, I don't see them often. but when I do they're always kind and know what they're doing and how to do it professionally.

RE: Violet Kirsch HoS Application - Shiiba - 09-08-2024

I recently observed a round where you were likely the most experienced secoff on the team that desperately needed someone to lead and organize and I was really hoping to see you do that and you didn't. It seems like you only focus what's going on in front of you and not what else your team is handling.

I really would like to see more improvement in communication and leadership, you're a decent secoff but I feel I only see the good effort you put in when there's already a HoS around.

-1 for now.

RE: Violet Kirsch HoS Application - Silent Majority - 09-12-2024

Ive seen lots of great qualities. I've seen responsiveness, communication, and giving antagonists breathing room.

Ive also observed completely ignoring large scale destruction for extended periods because theyre doing one particular thing. Ive seen sometimes not responding to calls but just going to them.

I think you're talented and capable. I suggest working on awareness. Training is well and good, and important, but if the crew and tram are adrift and suffering its okay to bring the assistant along for some on the job!

RE: Violet Kirsch HoS Application - jan.antilles - 10-17-2024

We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to insufficient positive community response. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be 12-17-2024. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!