Goonstation Forums
Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. (/showthread.php?tid=23032)

Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - Lefinch - 08-06-2024

Real simple, you know how you can walk around in lockers, right? We all love lockers here. Who hasn't spent a round welded in one? 
So, why not take things a little further: With some tools: Weld down and beat a locker into shape around a person: Become the Locker Knight. 

Why?: DIY slow, awful but strong body armour. Because it's funny. Because the addition of a brick and a washing machine has revolutionized staff assistant lifestyle and I feel like this could too, but it could also be great for "In a complete pinch" situations with extremely limited resources. Why -wouldn't- someone do this? Also the locker has nice little slats for the eye visor. I'm just saying the idea is right there. 

Specifics?: Depending on how good or bad it is, I would suggest the armour itself seals the user in: no snapping in and out of it until it's destroyed. Perhaps it's something you can build yourself, if it's a little too good perhaps it needs outside help to "beat" it into shape. I would suggest no prone, or for funny points, prone causes them to get stuck like a tortoise and need to rock back up into shape. 

This is very much a DIY, low-quality route into the heavy armour big leagues. We have the cyborg chest piece at the moment but I don't think we have anything that reaches the upper tiers of "Make yourself" gear. 

If the concept is just too silly to treat as a one-piece uniform, allow people to cut up lockers to use it as a set of armour. 

Problems?: Someone who can actually sprite has to sprite it. People actually think this idea is dumb and stupid. The heretofore silent locker appreciation society calls for my blood. Nobody cares. Those are all fine options but if I post it here and the thread doesn't go anywhere I can rest easy knowing I suggested the idea. Thanks for reading.

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - OutbackCatgirl - 08-06-2024

Hell yeah, this one's a banger! it will also confuse the non Australians at all the ned kelly refs which is even better

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - Kotlol - 08-06-2024

I don't really want to give staffies more ways to make weapons outside of scrap weapons or armor.

Don't get me wrong it's funny and gives something to do.. but i fear of a staff assistant rush to build this stuff so they can be more robust.

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - Chasu - 08-07-2024

It'd be funny if the armor got stuck occasionally, making you fall over or roll a chance to just not drop items when pressing Q. Maybe the chance of these effects could get lower depending on some factor during construction?

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - meaow589 - 08-07-2024

Funny idea I like your creative

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - NanoDano - 08-07-2024

Make it slow you down A LOT and vulnerable to shocks

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - Lefinch - 08-07-2024

I'm good with all of these ideas. The key thing is to respect the fact that this is fundamentally not a route one upgrade for your staff assistant. It should absolutely have downsides. Getting stuck makes sense (it's hardly articulated) and frying the hell out of your locker knight is absolutely hilarious. But something that plinks off the lower calibre rounds and can take a physical pounding while this extremely slow man moves towards you? I don't know, I still like the idea.

Bonus points: Add bird feathers for a nice plumed lockerhelm.

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - Glamurio - 08-08-2024

Thematically love this idea. Like people have mentioned, you should still be super slow, but just gain the resistances of regular lockers. Make it break entirely after sustaining X amount of damage. I'd personally make them very weak to fire / shock, because you literally get grilled alive in there.

This could be a neat last resort thing to fend off as a lowly staffie against a syndicate or zombie horde or whatever have you.

RE: Locker-Knight: Ned Kelly DIY, Staff assistant built this in a maint, with scrap etc. - colossusqw - 08-08-2024

I was working on something on the way of staffie armor a few days back, with the following concept:
- it takes a big-ish amount of metal plates to make(with a welder)
- it can't be stored in backpacks on account of being too big
- it has close melee damage reduction to the sec vest, but less ranged protection
- it has a slight movement debuff, but as it gets hit by attacks, it becomes more and more bent, slowing movement speed by a lot
- to fix it, one needs to put it on the ground, and apply more steel sheets to it with a welder