Goonstation Forums
PDA viewing effect - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: PDA viewing effect (/showthread.php?tid=22974)

Pages: 1 2

PDA viewing effect - CalliopeSoups - 07-23-2024

There was some discussion in the discord around PDAs. Apparently it's an occasional thing where someone will silently call for security over their PDA using messages instead of the alert, stalling while not really roleplaying. This got me thinking that because of moments like these and several others, I would like to be able to see if someone has a PDA window open.

My original idea was to just close PDA windows if you put it into your ID slot, bag etc, but people like the QoL of drag clicking it open or keeping a window open with the PDA in your bag etc. My suggestion would then be to add some sort of visual effect to humans if they have a PDA window open.

Interested if many people are opposed to the former idea and if anyone has ideas for the visual effect.

RE: PDA viewing effect - aloe - 07-23-2024

My gut reaction is that this is more of a solve-via-rules thing than a solve-via-mechanics thing, but i do concede that it's a bit difficult to report ("hey sec showed up suspiciously quickly" probably doesn't feel like a very convincing ahelp as a player). so, not sure overall.

also this would probably out spies at times, and maybe traitors? due to uplink stuff.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Cal - 07-23-2024

Personally I like the idea of being aware that a player is *doing something* and not just standing around. I would even want this for people interacting with computers, including borgs

Hide PDA use from spies and traitors maybe? Idk

RE: PDA viewing effect - Kotlol - 07-23-2024

I like to point out... you can open your PDA in your hands and then put it in a pocket or ID badge to keep the window open for us.

Cause it works on "Player next to console" logic as I call it.
As long as the PDA isn't in a bag or 2 tiles away from the player. They can do what on it.

So while revealing they are on PDA by well.. having a PDA icon. We also need to add that the PDA has to be in the player's hand to be able to be used.
As someone who rather roleplays and thus closing it insted of keeping it in hand. Will close the window regardless for roleplay purposes.

As for traitors/spiefs, have them have a "PDA" uplink in their brain or something lorewise so they can do the same hands free mechanic that exists now and avoid detection of using it.

Infact have them able to use the PDA remotely in general would be a cool antagonist mechanic.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Lefinch - 07-23-2024

You could play it like a MAD scenario: make using PDAs out of hand really obvious like:
$name's hand rummages around in a pocket and you hear a telltale sound of a PDA's little blips and bloops
Honestly until this thread I've never even thought of using the PDA out of pocket this way. I figure that was the gamble when someone's holding you up in that the sprite is obvious. It's got me shot in the race to get a crisis alert out and taking that gamble feels like it should be calculated.

RE: PDA viewing effect - JOELED - 07-23-2024

I don't really care strongly either way about an indicator being added or not outside of traitors and spies, which I really really don't think should have an indicator. Having your PDA out in hand during spy rounds is already a known "this is probably a spy" thing that leads to people getting caught, being unable to view the bounties at all without people knowing would be a huge blow to the gamemode IMO. Also, if going in the direction of a visual icon over people with their PDA out, it's worth keeping in mind how cramped the real estate is already for visual icons with sechud/prodoc goggles, antag icons, typing and custom emote indicators, and offline status indicators. There's not much room to work with that wouldn't be getting in the way of something else

RE: PDA viewing effect - Rmeaper - 07-23-2024

Maybe make sending a message with your PDA make a noise. This wouldn't get in the way of spiefs or traitors.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Lord_earthfire - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 06:43 AM)Rmeaper Wrote: Maybe make sending a message with your PDA make a noise. This wouldn't get in the way of spiefs or traitors.

I really like that idea. That would get that scummy behaviour under control really fast.

RE: PDA viewing effect - JOELED - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 06:43 AM)Rmeaper Wrote: Maybe make sending a message with your PDA make a noise. This wouldn't get in the way of spiefs or traitors.

I like this.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Kotlol - 07-23-2024

A simple sound is probably the better idea.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Angel - 07-23-2024

Really like the sound idea aswell, would also allow you to know the person is messaging someone with their PDA, allowing for more roleplaying between you and whoever you might be holding at gunpoint tryin' to ask for help via PDA.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Frank_Stein - 07-23-2024

(07-23-2024, 04:52 AM)Cal Wrote: Personally I like the idea of being aware that a player is *doing something* and not just standing around. I would even want this for people interacting with computers, including borgs

Hide PDA use from spies and traitors maybe? Idk

Occasional emotes like *glances or *fidgets, maybe with some proximity based tiers where being closer to them tells you more about what they're interacting with or where it might be located on them

RE: PDA viewing effect - Mouse - 07-24-2024

Require the PDA to be in your hand to send messages.

RE: PDA viewing effect - Zamujasa - 07-25-2024

i like the idea of simply playing a sound when someone sends a message, but you can also disable ringtones or set custom ones (it's one of the menu options, remember?) even though i think nobody ever bothers since it's not saved between rounds.

but is this really a big enough problem that it requires a fix? any change would impact a ton of other interactions, not just "guy quietly calling security".

you can similarly bypass the typing indicator by using the command bar at the bottom, and can even speak over radio channels if you aren't in whisper range.

RE: PDA viewing effect - CalliopeSoups - 07-26-2024

(07-25-2024, 10:31 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: i like the idea of simply playing a sound when someone sends a message, but you can also disable ringtones or set custom ones (it's one of the menu options, remember?) even though i think nobody ever bothers since it's not saved between rounds.

but is this really a big enough problem that it requires a fix? any change would impact a ton of other interactions, not just "guy quietly calling security".

you can similarly bypass the typing indicator by using the command bar at the bottom, and can even speak over radio channels if you aren't in whisper range.

Yeah I think I agree with you for the most part. I think the main takeaway from this thread is what Cal said, I'd like to be able to see when people are doing things generally. An effect for looking at consoles and, imo, item satchels would be my choices.