Goonstation Forums
cogblap v0.98 | beta testing will be happening occasionally - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Good ideas! (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: cogblap v0.98 | beta testing will be happening occasionally (/showthread.php?tid=221)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - Nitrous - 01-21-2013

OMJ Wrote:can't wait for this map
This, also happy 300th post

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - Cogwerks - 01-21-2013

More thermo engine tweaking, removed all of the stationary high-cap tanks and replaced them with labeled portable canister ports.
Added a little gas storage room, but unless you are super pro at rationing fuel, crappy engineers will need to pester Toxins and/or QM for more gas canisters. Gas canisters oughta be orderable. Also cut down the number of pumps from 16 to 8 and streamlined a bunch of the stuff so it's not quite so daunting to look at.

http://i.imgur.com/hJht5KQ.png

The newbie engineer method will keep a pretty solid 150-200 kilowatt output going without much effort. I was kinda bummed at first because my experimental hellburn is way harder to control and sustain now, but with another hour or so of testing in-game I got it right back into a nice sustained murderforge level. Takes some optimizing at the start and a lot of running back and forth hitting valves and adjusting pump strengths every minute or so but it'll keep boiling away like this for awhile if you know what you're doing.

http://i.imgur.com/K7F9jI9.png

It almost reached 2 megawatts while I was burning to death.

edit: got it purring and humming constantly now, a couple of looping audio clips that are picked by how much power you're generating.

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - Cogwerks - 01-22-2013

Two more things:

[Image: B2Io7cK.png]

Debating on whether the AI should have electrified grilles around it or maybe an IR beam inside that perimeter thing instead. That could be neat as heck too. No more insta-thermiting your way into the module storage.

[Image: YXowScg.png]

Changed the look of the engine a little bit. That grille above it is electrified directly from the engine current. This can go up above a megawatt.

Twisted bzzzzap

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - Ronnyfire - 01-22-2013

Hold up, does that imply that electrified grates shock you based on the current in the wire under them? Potentially nifty!

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - Anticheese - 01-22-2013

Are there any dirty engineer/electrician tricks that can be used to dump more current into an area of the wiring system?

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - h3half - 01-22-2013

Are electrified grilles based off if the APC is putting out power at the moment? Would be a cool way to "hack" into a secure area; cut the power using the Power Switchgear then just waltz right in.

Idea: let's tie Toxins into Engineering more AND make it feel more like an actual research job.
Give Toxins a sensor in the mixing chamber, a computer to read that sensor, and a program that will let you set a Start Recording point and then keep displaying gas readings. Use some of the same code we've already got for engine debugging and atmos debugging to display the combustion efficiency and a bunch of other calculated data.

As it is right now, toxins will already be able to supplement the new engine, but imagine being able to have some hard data printed out like "yo this mixture we're sending you will burn at 60% efficiency and yield X change in heat and Y change in pressure over Z minutes" without having to figure that shit out yourself.

It could also demystify bombmaking a lot, and make the bomb lab feel like it has a reason for existing on a space station.

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - atomic1fire - 01-22-2013

That actually sounds like an amazing idea.
Scientists get bored, make large bombs, tell engineering how much gas they need to turn the electrical grid into a death trap. Brilliant.

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - FrontlineAcrobat4 - 01-22-2013

It seems with every passing day this station sounds more amazing, this will be fun whether you like it or not Cogs.

woop woop networked IR beams around the AI perimeter
woop woop
hack the planet

[Image: b9ydNvA.png]

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - V12US - 01-22-2013

Won't that make changing the AI laws a bit too hard?

V12US Wrote:Won't that make changing the AI laws a bit too hard?

No, it'll just require a little more forethought. It's still full of planned weaknesses, but it'll cut down on the constant thermite wall -> write KILL EVERYONE law -> thermite another wall routine. Just adds a couple more steps that are a lot more interesting, like using the engineering switchgear to kill the defense grid, tk+engineering ID through the window, or network hacking to fuck with the emitters through their data port. Or you can just blow a hole through the thing and work fast if you're not worried about all the noise that will make.

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - Preid - 01-22-2013

The new map looks really interesting, but I'm a bit worried about whether anyone will take the time/ be competent enough to start up and maintain the engine when you get into the less populated times of the day.

Preid Wrote:The new map looks really interesting, but I'm a bit worried about whether anyone will take the time/ be competent enough to start up and maintain the engine when you get into the less populated times of the day.

It has a bunch of Easy Mode ports along the top that offer a lot less fine control but take less time to set up, and there are the solar panels too. Using the laziest setup I can have this engine running in about half the time of getting the singularity running.

Re: cogmap // v0.93 - current code update - FrontlineAcrobat4 - 01-22-2013

There will be fun right?