Goonstation Forums
Best way to be a tough but fair det? - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Best way to be a tough but fair det? (/showthread.php?tid=20714)

Best way to be a tough but fair det? - weezerfan2001 - 02-15-2023

I really love playing det, but i often find myself in situations where I wince at the idea of using force because I don't wanna fuck with someones game, even if they're breaking rules. Is there any perameters I should follow to know when it's neccessary to use force? and do yall got any tips to get over my passive det mindset?

RE: Best way to be a tough but fair det? - NanoDano - 02-16-2023

I typically play det like you would play a security assistant, arresting people is the last thing you wanna be doing. If you see someone doing THE CRIME, you can always call it out on the security channel. While its a niche role, detective can keep looking for crimers even while secoffs are pursuing someone, try to make sure the officers always have someone to look for!

Edit: You are also one of the only people that spawn with lethal bullets, try to save those for real threats like a rampaging traitor, wizards, flockmind, things like that

RE: Best way to be a tough but fair det? - Kotlol - 02-17-2023

Alright I been thinking of how to write this but as a DET MAIN. I can say this.

The detective is the MOST POWERFULL Security member on the station.
YES even more then the HoS.
Their trade off is the fact they have less access then most security, but that is NOT a problem for them.

So what is a detective?
Basicly the mix of a Civilian and Security member. They are seen as "Private Detectives" hired by NT to solve murders while they drink alcohol and their live won't care.
Detective's are seen as "non cops" and the "missing link" of security to the civlian department.

So why are they the most powerfull security member?
It's their universal use of tools that even would make the HoS drool.

Let me introduce you to the tools of the trade:

- Revolver.
Be it the standard or the peacekeeper. This is your main way of dealing with rowdy folks.
Comes with 2 sets of stuns and 2 sets of lethals AND preloaded with 7 stuns.
You can always get more stuns from the Security vendors.

- Purple/Red Goggles.
THEY HAVE NAMES! But these 2 goggles are amazing.
The red Infra Goggles allows you to see really well in the dark as well as "Stealthed" antagonists. But you are SUPER vunerable to flashes.
I wear them most of the time since it helps when maintance diving. You see more then anyone without any mutations.
Your purple goggles are used by science to see what liquids are found inside things and such
Really useful for autopsies or checking for poisoned drinks.
The only way for Security to even get their own infrareds is by taking Nightvision goggles or raiding the armory.

- Bloodtrak
The only gadget of it's kinda.. if someone murders someone brutally and the blood was spilled. You can take a blood sample and track any blood.
Even ones that are on those who were spilled on it.. even the killer. Security wishes they had it.

- Luminol
Allows chemical reactions of blood to be seen even if it's wiped. Great use in combo with our "purple goggles" If a perp walked through blood puddle, you can track it this way too.

- Det-Gadget Hat.
This thing used to be a hat you can stuff 2 items in and call them out with a key word. It looked cool and added 2 more spots to your inventory.. but.. now the thing isn't just protection, 2 extra pockets, but also a HANDY TOOL no one else has.
You can deploy the hat as a handy "Hat bug" and take control of it. Now you got your personal drone to go into places you cannot phyiscally go like a critter.
This thing can take pictures and scan for prints as well. Also usefull to break in and spy on a possible ransom situation or enemy base.

-Det-Net Glasses
OH LORD! This thing to me is the most powerful item in security.
Why you ask? Cause you can hear security radio and general in it, as well as your spy stickers (more on that later)
But you can also access security records and alter them WITHOUT sending an alarm.
This VR space even allows you to check the cameras on station!
And guess what? You can use them from ANYWHERE! Even the HoS has to go a SecMate or Security Records.
Let alone those security records aren't clunky Secmate! So you are fast.

-Spy Stickers
This is "technically" a traitor item, but detective don't care. These stickers can be turned on to listen into things but also have the neat feature of being a tracking bug.
Put this thing in hidden location to spy into conversation on crucial locations or on an item or person to track em too!
So spying and tracking... who doesn't want that?

-"Cool" Foreinsic's Scanner.
What's the difference between a normal scanner and a COOL one?
The normal scanner has a 2 square range...
The Cool one has around 4. Thus you can scan things from a distance as well as print a result.
It's not the most amazing item of the trade but still an ADVANTAGE over security.

And with that... there is one thing the Detective has over security.
"The possibility to be an antagonist"
And my lord... the base kit of a detective makes them ONE DANGEROUS ANTAGONIST.
Being able to turn off your arrest status and turn beepskies against security..
A lethal gun without using any TRAITOR CREDITS.
Cuffs and anything a security vendor can get...

Now how to be a good Detective?
On RP you can run detective gimmicks, but in Classic? KEEP YOUR GEAR SAFE! Anyone who has access to your gear is a threat to the station.
Use your tools wisely to find suspects and gun em down.
And in RP... be wise and interact.. Use your drinks and smokes too to ease someone into talking.
You can afford being a bit reckless as a detective, but mostly... just have fun. Don't lose that coat it's STRONG ARMORING!

With that... go be the detective space needs! Or... the scourge of the station when you are an antagonist.

RE: Best way to be a tough but fair det? - Frank_Stein - 02-17-2023

(02-15-2023, 06:53 PM)weezerfan2001 Wrote: I really love playing det, but i often find myself in situations where I wince at the idea of using force because I don't wanna fuck with someones game, even if they're breaking rules. Is there any perameters I should follow to know when it's neccessary to use force? and do yall got any tips to get over my passive det mindset?

I agree as a Detective you don't want to actually be the one to do the arresting. Instead, gather the evidence against them and use that to prove they should be arrested by working with Sec.

If you're onto them but you still want to let the round play out longer, try toying with them a bit. Keep showing up where they are nonchalantly, drop hints, use innuendo, etc

RE: Best way to be a tough but fair det? - Froggit_Dogget - 02-18-2023

replace your arm with your revolver and spam *twirl until you shoot yourself.

RE: Best way to be a tough but fair det? - Silent Majority - 02-20-2023

If a det has spear headed a case i usually let them lead the arrest as a treat.