Goonstation Forums
HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Server Appeals (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Denied Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: HoS Application - Hailey Marshall (/showthread.php?tid=20017)

HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - LordApple - 10-24-2022

Usual character name: Hailey Marshall
BYOND username: Lord_Apple
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Lord Apple#4954
Recommended by (if applicable): ftlaudeye
Goon servers you play: Goon 3 & 4

Reason for application:
Over the past however many rounds it has been for me playing Security Officer on the RP servers, I’ve noticed that it happens pretty often that the security department can fall apart or even make rounds worse when there is no HoS. I’m throwing my hat in the ring in the hope that I can do my part to make the shifts more fun and less frustrating for everyone involved in the round.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
Security and more specifically the job of Security Officer is something I was introduced to well over a year ago. Though it did not initially click with me as my favourite role on the station, it did eventually become that over time. There’s generally always a good balance of ‘things to do’, versus downtime to chat with your fellow Security staff and the rest of the crew, and it’s one of several things I enjoy most about Officering, the wide variety of interactions you can have with pretty much the entirety of the crew at one point or another.

But that balance, and the other aspects of Security that people often talk about as being some of the main draws of the department, be it the experience of working intensely with a team, the plentiful opportunities for roleplay or even occasionally combat, cannot come about without a lot of effort on the part of every Security staff member, and I try to do my best to make every round I do Officering in enjoyable for not just the other Security staff, but the rest of the crew and of course, the antagonists also. There are a lot of factors I learned that go into accomplishing that.

One of the most important things that Security staff must do is communicate- Communication and Organisation on the security radio comms or, failing that, the shared PDA channel, is key. After all, a noncommunicative Security department often becomes an ineffective team at best- a disruptive influence, at worst. I always try to report on what I’m doing when I deviate from a regular patrol- be it to report a strange or amusing occurrence that could cause trouble later, or to report on giving out tickets and brig times accompanied with reasons why. And when Security comms do fall silent for too long, I will ask others if they maybe saw anything worth briefly discussing. And of course, being friendly on comms and some bantering back and forth, be it off or on comms, always helps with making things fun.

Preparedness leads to Organisation, and trying to keep general tabs on what is going on in a shift and the flow of the story. But it’s hard to do consistently, and missing things is easy, as is getting overwhelmed with the overstimulation that this game can sometimes create for a Security Officer. I do my best to keep a level head, learning that losing my cool or acting rashly can quickly make someone else’s round turn sour. It’s not been easy, but nothing that’s worth learning ever is, and I feel confident in my ability to keep my cool in a stressful situation now.

Stepping up to lead among other Officers, dealing with Antagonists and being fair to them, de-escalation of fights, are all things I’ve gotten better at over time. The story of a round is always deeply important to me. I would always rather brig an antagonist and confiscate their equipment over executing them! It is more fun for them and the rest of the crew when they put their comeback plan into motion. Antagonists can make or break a round just like Security can, and when both treat each other fairly, it is all the better for everyone involved, so that we may arrive at CentComm with smiles on our faces, excited to talk about our favourite moments that happened, which is what I love seeing most of all!

Answer two or more of the following:

• What advice would you give to other sec players?
One of the most overlooked things I’ve noticed ties into communication as well, and it is something I struggle with doing consistently as well, and that is communicating on Security comms that you are responding to an alert or a call for help. So often do people just not do it, which is a problem most alerts and calls do not warrant the presence of four officers. It spreads security thin, it makes moving around a space tricky, and is borderline impossible and thus unfun to deal with for most antags.
Another bit of advice especially for new officers is to relax. Seriously. When you are able to take issues as they arrive and are a calming and relaxed presence when dealing with a problem, it’s so much more likely for that interaction to turn out positive. Even if the roleplay escalates and the antags and security get increasingly violent with each other, staying relaxed is so incredibly important, because while your character might be upset, you yourself should not get that way.

• What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
One of my favourite moments as a security officer was dealing with a true murder mystery. A miner had been found murdered out in space, but rather than stay preserved in the vacuum, it was a desiccated husk. The autopsy in Medical revealed the usual space death suspects- frostbite and oxygen loss. Yet neither me nor the other Security staff were convinced that this was a mere mass driver incident. The janitor who initially reported the body possessed the only prints on the body aside from ours, and we questioned the man more than once. More strange evidence arrives in the form of a strange photo camera equipped with a flash module that had previously belonged to the dead miner. Though we never were able to collect enough evidence to confirm our suspicions despite getting so close to the truth, it was nevertheless one of the most enjoyable rounds of Security I ever played. And yes, it turns out that the janitor was in fact a changeling in the post-round screen, who defended himself against a spy thief miner.

• Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
I have been in both these very different positions many times. I think when part of a full security team, delegation and communication become so much more important than individual ability, for the simple fact that you’re never really alone. When I am part of a full security team, I tend to relax a lot more, barring any more extreme cases of a station-wide threat, due to having so many allies I can count on. Staying informed of the barrage of security comms likely going on and responding to calls while making sure not to overcommit on those calls with too many officers on duty become my focus.
When I am the sole officer on duty, I tend to zone in more, focusing on staying alert. I try to quickly form good ties with the presiding Captain and AI to aid me in making sure things don’t go south too quickly- losing the entire Security department in one fell swoop in the shape of my death can really change the dynamic of a round! I do feel a lot more pressure when I’m solo, feeling like I am a lot more needed than normal.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
What is there to get in space more tasty than a Bartender’s Blue Lagoon?
I cannot withhold the answer much longer, I will tell you, soon!
It creates more joy than a dozen Timberdoodles!
Why, what else but the sight and smell of Discount Dan’s Quik Noodles?!
Trademark of NanoTrasen All Rights Reserved.

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
One security gimmick that I have been dying to run is one that I have seen others talk about- a Security wide training session. It may not be the most original idea, but I think I could give it my own spin! I would get the HoP involved in getting half of Sec ‘Blue Team’ cards and the other ‘Red Team’ cards, with the uniforms to match. I would set some kind of objective aside from arresting the other side- perhaps a hostage rescue, or trying to get something or do something for every department. I think it could be very fun!

• Draw a picture!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None.

RE: HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - Wrench-1 - 10-24-2022

Ok, so I must preface this with the fact that I've known and been good friends with Apple for around 7 years now, so I want that to be taken into account. As a person, I know Apple to be a kind, sensible and very genuine person with a good attitude towards a lot of things.

When it comes to Officer work, I am always happy to have him on my team as Hailey, as I know they will be a very productive and communicative member of the team. They frequently keep us updated with their activities, and make sure everyone is ok keeping everyone on the team at a good level of communication. They're frequently helping newer officers with understanding the ropes, and are fair with the Antags.

One hold up however, this sentence, "I’ve noticed that it happens pretty often that the security department can fall apart or even make rounds worse when there is no HoS" is not a mindset I'm not a fan of. A HoS does not necessarily make a Security round better, nor does not having a HoS make it worse. Sure a HoS helps, however so does having a communicating Sec team, or a Sec Officer putting themselves in a team leadership position if things are looking extra spicy. I would recommend while this app is up, to start taking up a leadership position in order to attempt to put things back on track. It'll help a lot.

But I'll +1 for now. Lets see where it goes!

RE: HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - nefarious6th - 10-24-2022

second the mindset thing from wrench, but apple is a really strong officer; I actually didnt realize they were the same player for James Whitlow and was really impressed by seeing hailey pop up, ready to talk, guide, and lead. Consistent positive presence on the team and always willing to rope in everyone to conversations and events

RE: HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - Silent Majority - 10-25-2022

My only issue is in my many rounds with Hailey i have not seen you leading or teaching a lot. You are a competent officers and I'm always happy to have you on team.

Also again as wrench ans nef said:

A HoS doesn't make a round fall apart. Someone just has to step up and give directions. And you can do thst even if a HoS and NTSC are there.

RE: HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - flyingcow01 - 10-25-2022

Hailey is always great to have on the team. They're communicating very well and always making sure the team is up to date on current events, which helps a lot with coordination. They're fair when dealing with antagonists by letting them have some room to breathe. Additionally I noticed they can handle stressful in game situations well, which I think a good HoS should be capable of. The only thing I'd like to see more from you is some more leadership, I haven't really seen you take on a leader role during the shifts I played with you.

In conclusion, I think Hailey would make a fine Head of Security, +1!

RE: HoS Application - Hailey Marshall - Katzen - 12-28-2022

We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to lack of community feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days!