Goonstation Forums
Feedback Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Server Appeals (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Admin Feedback (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Feedback Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. (/showthread.php?tid=19646)

Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Amoeba_Bait - 09-04-2022

"My name Jeff"  And other tales of the consequences of the centralisation of power

Boogiebot
Who banned you?:  hauntmachine
Byond Key:  Amoeba_Bait
Discord Username:  Unknown
Date of Ban:   2022-09-04
Specified Reason for Ban:   The correct response to being told not to say shit like "Please do not look at my cock and bulbs" is not to be flippant in adminPM's and then write down "my name Jeff" on a note when sent to the admin prison. Take some time off, and actually read the rules if you wish to keep playing on our servers.

When writing bans, Admins should include the rule broken. In the above ban no rule is referenced as being broken and issued ban is in effect only due to the writing of "my name jeff" on a piece of paper. There are no rules in place which outline the writing of "my name jeff" as a bannable offence. The only tangentially related rule  states that players "Listen to the admins". This rule does not state that layers must reply to admins, nor replay to admins with a specific phrase, nor in a specific way, other than treating admins with basic respect. Just because an admin can read he contents of a piece of paper, this does not mean any and/or all content is addressed to them,

I was sworn at by the admin in question, which indeed does not align with GoonStation values, as I was not afforded the same level of basic respect [ref. rule 2] that is expected I reciprocate.

Additionally, the locking of appeal threads by the admin who issued the initial ban is incongruent with the very existence of the appeals court. The inability for others to voice their opinion creates a dictatorial system in which power is centralised without checks and balances to ensure GoonStation values are upheld.

RE: Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Gerhazo - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 05:40 AM)Amoeba_Bait Wrote: When writing bans, Admins should include the rule broken. In the above ban no rule is referenced as being broken and issued ban is in effect only due to the writing of "my name jeff" on a piece of paper.

When a player joins the server, the first message in the chatbox is

[Image: unknown.png]

Sexual content is already covered here, but if this is too vague and "Please do not look at my cock" is not assumed to be included within it, for elaboration one can (and is instructed to do so here) read the rules at https://wiki.ss13.co/Rules 
The rule in question to read explicitly covers this specific scenario and is the only one to have an emphasising underlined "hard no"
The thread focusing on the note writing being the reason for the ban also suggests they still haven't been read.

Considering the circumstances, having clearly not read the rules, then upon breaking them dismissing the warning and being uncooperative suggests there's no interest in them being followed, at which point there is also mutually little interest in keeping such individual in favor of the other players not having to deal with their behaviour.

RE: Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Leeanei - 09-04-2022

I reviewed the ban and the appeal with Angel's permission. After doing a deep value-focused analysis, I have rendered judgement:

The golden value of Goonstation is not arguing with admins. You broke rule 4 with the cock and bulbs comment, we have a zero tolerance policy on the matter. We also do not need to list the rule broken, it is expected that you have read our rules and will follow them in exchange for access to our server. The rules are something you implicitly agree to while playing. One of the rules is that you should not argue with admins because our words, in true GoonStation values, are the final interpretation of the rules on all matters.

Yes, this is a dictator-oligarchy-ship. Yes, it will remain this way. Angel's actions in this matter were correct and within the True GoonStation values.

edit: It has been brought to our attention that you are actively streaming our feedback forum. That's extremely funny.

RE: Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Amoeba_Bait - 09-04-2022

Writing "my name jeff" is not a bannable offence and was the only listed offence in the specification for ban field.

Leeanei Wrote:edit: It has been brought to our attention that you are actively streaming our feedback forum. That's extremely funny.

Hahahha it's super fun

RE: Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Leeanei - 09-04-2022

(09-04-2022, 06:03 AM)Amoeba_Bait Wrote: Writing "my name jeff" is not a bannable offence and was the only listed offence in the specification for ban field.

Your ban was for rule 4 and arguing with the admins. The my name jeff line, which you've fixated on, was not the main thrust of your ban. It was the break of rule 4.

RE: Issuing of bans for reasons outside of, and unrelated to server rules. - Gerhazo - 09-04-2022

As it doesn't seem to have been clarified and to address your most recent reply:

Because there might be some vagueness for non-english speakers and it may or may not be a non-primary language, which I assume may be the source of confusion:

The sentence "The correct response to being told not to say shit like "Please do not look at my cock and bulbs" is not to be..."

Carries with it implication that the response to being warned to avoid these kind of statements was negative/uncooperative and is the primary focus of the sentence, as well as in this context the ban reason.

If this is the source of your confusion, then it can be argued that the ban reason could've been written less ambiguously, that being said it is descriptive of what happened and the ambiguity seems to have been cleared up in the appeal and/or here if it wasn't gleamed from the reason.