Goonstation Forums
Some fun things science would like - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Some fun things science would like (/showthread.php?tid=1826)

Pages: 1 2

Some fun things science would like - Weavel - 11-19-2013

1. More camera helmets, in different colours too!!!
2. More transfer valves in toxins, with Zeta gone there's nowhere to scavenge from
3. Smaller font on the Chem Dispenser window so all the scheme actually fit properly
4. more bees

Re: Some fun things science would like - Weavel - 11-19-2013

Autocorrect aaaaaa

*chems no scheme

Re: Some fun things science would like - APARTHEID - 11-19-2013

Weavel Wrote:1. More camera helmets, in different colours too!!!

If the Mechanics could manufacture more of these...

Re: Some fun things science would like - Lainge - 11-19-2013

Ahem.
1. Pathology
Thank you for your time.

Re: Some fun things science would like - atomic1fire - 11-19-2013

You sure giving Science Pathology is a good idea.

I mean sure the number of plasma fires has gone down, but that's because nobody watches plasma research anymore unless engineering needs fuel (and engineering is far more likely to get on fire)

My point being is giving science both chemistry and pathology, I'm thinking if diseases are still reagents someone's going to turn smoke powder into the ultimate disease catalyst.

I'm not even sure the admins want pathology back yet.

Giving scientists chemistry, pathology, and toxins seems like a bad idea mixed with a worse idea.

1. Set something important on fire.
2. Watch as people collect in one area trying to avoid the fire.
3. Make as much disease ridden smoke as possible, and infect everyone in a small area.
4. Pathology, toxins and chemistry are instantly swarmed with bees or exploded.

Could be fun, but also result in the wild west that was Donut.

Re: Some fun things science would like - icarus - 11-19-2013

controversial opinion: we should replace toxins with something

the only real non-traitor purpose of toxins is to mix gases for engineering and that can be moved to engineering without much trouble

toxins has turned into the only science department (and one of the only departments on the station in general) that does more harm than good, 9 times out of 10 if you see someone working in toxins they're a traitor

replace it with pathology or brainstorm a ~new science~ that can be both dangerous and have helpful uses

Re: Some fun things science would like - VictorMAngoStein - 11-19-2013

Geology-go into space, process minerals into unique reagents, Traitor geologists can raise baby rockworms like maneaters (except they eat doors and walls instead)

Re: Some fun things science would like - Lantern - 11-20-2013

icarus Wrote:controversial opinion: we should replace toxins with something

the only real non-traitor purpose of toxins is to mix gases for engineering and that can be moved to engineering without much trouble

toxins has turned into the only science department (and one of the only departments on the station in general) that does more harm than good, 9 times out of 10 if you see someone working in toxins they're a traitor

replace it with pathology or brainstorm a ~new science~ that can be both dangerous and have helpful uses

I really like this idea actually. It would give engineers something else they can work on after the engine is set up.

Re: Some fun things science would like - Embolism - 11-20-2013

If Pathology gets implemented it will likely be a Medical discipline, like Genetics and Robotics; not a Science one.

I don't see any reason to touch Toxins, it may not be a very benign discipline but it's very much a part of SS13.

Re: Some fun things science would like - Sundance - 11-20-2013

Weavel Wrote:1. More camera helmets, in different colours too!!!
2. More transfer valves in toxins, with Zeta gone there's nowhere to scavenge from
3. Smaller font on the Chem Dispenser window so all the scheme actually fit properly
4. more bees

1. Letting it be electrician scannable would be sweet. Although that takes time, I'd be cool with tele starting with 2 more. Also, paint
2. There are ways to get more.
3. Sure why not.
4. *groan

Re: Some fun things science would like - Weavel - 11-20-2013

Having to paint electrician-made helmets would suck, having lots of helmets would not suck

Also yes you could fuck off into space for the suitcase or whatever but that isn't fun

Re: Some fun things science would like - Sundance - 11-20-2013

Weavel Wrote:Having to paint electrician-made helmets would suck, having lots of helmets would not suck

Also yes you could fuck off into space for the suitcase or whatever but that isn't fun

I wasn't saying that, I was saying that if you wanted more than 3 helmets you could get them scanned, and of you wanted the helmets different colors, you could simply paint it.
Also, I'm totally not talking about the briefcase bomb. There are other ways. I shall say no more

Yes but that's far more extra effort round after round for something that would just be ultra simple and fun to just have, I don't think there would be any negatives at all to adding more of both

I really don't understand that mindset about things, "oh you could just scan and paint it" could be applied to simple things that we all passively enjoy, like having multi-coloured boxing shorts available or having the Jazzy Turtleneck on station.
Yeah you definitely could go get paint and put it on jumpsuits, or fuck off into space to get a proper turtleneck, but why not just have them there to start with? No negatives, just positives

Re: Some fun things science would like - Captain_Bravo - 11-20-2013

Why does it have to be a Binary choice? Making helmets scannable by mechanics would not in any way impede the ability of coders to add in extra helmets. How about two positives instead of one?

Yeah that'd definitely be awesome Bravo, that's what I'm trying to argue for, should have both positives instead of one