Goonstation Forums
[CLOSED PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: [CLOSED PR] Portable ID Computer implementation (/showthread.php?tid=17234)

Pages: 1 2

[CLOSED PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - github_bot - 10-07-2021

PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
Adds the portable ID computer to the hops office on manta and oshan. Adds in a note to all space maps about crashed luxary shuttle. Adds in debris field shuttle with hop equipment and a safe inside. Adds in hopcoat to hops locker on oshan.

Why's this needed?
Gives hop more control over Acess and allows them to do their job when power is out. Also allows them to visit their department and still do their job, along with making using the acess-pro much easier to use.
[Image: 136484424-788faa6d-a1e6-44b8-9226-e80c7c5111b5.png]
[Image: 136484440-19fdd539-8bd8-4069-98c3-29daaa8fa2e1.png]
[Image: 136484471-99f336ee-b5ed-479e-a71a-25eb2f405385.png]
[Image: 136868520-9ecf5e3e-8dc2-467c-ba46-d6d805ddbff3.png]
[Image: 136868637-b92d5f5e-e8ff-4c4e-a72d-699994f1ef20.png]
[Image: 136869185-dc852690-4735-40e6-919a-720e6ca2bfa0.png]

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Carsontheking
(*)Adds in a new portable ID computer, find it in the debris field or grab it from the hops office on manta and oshan!
(+)Runs off a internal battery, now you can visit your department on the go, and have a nifty tool to bash staffies heads in with!
(+)Adds the Head of Personnel's naval jacket to the hops locker on oshan!

PULL REQUEST DETAILS

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Mordent - 10-07-2021

Better as an item in a prefab. This trivializes getting it.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Theunsolved-puzzle - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 11:54 AM)Mordent Wrote: Better as an item in a prefab. This trivializes getting it.

In the initial PR, there was also a discussion of making it a prefab item, costing 35 metal, 15 glass, 25 conductive material, and 2 gold, but it was removed so the actual addition of the item could be its own separate PR. Though for the initial version of this PR I went with locker spawn because that’s what I believe is best and what I’d prefer to see implemented. As for it being in a prefab, I greatly dislike that idea, as it would essentially, (unless more items are created for this proposed prefab) create a location meant for one specific job (a job where it’s very essential to remain on station, and has little in the way of people to substitute for you when you go missing) to go to for items that significantly change how the job can be played. Sorry for the long block of text I’m doing this response off my phone, but I believe giving it round start inside a locker (like the better TG Tablet computer is) would be the best, as there it would see the most use, not be hidden behind a secret section or by a extreme material cost, and not cause unessecary prefabs or vacancy’s in the job.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - UrsulaMejor - 10-07-2021

One of HoP's roundstart crew goals is to "be off station wearing a space suit"

It's very much a job where one of the expected outcomes is that you man the desk for a bit, then leave to go explore or do whatever you want.

Its on-station function can be replaced by:
1) The Captain or HoS, who generally are more likely to stay on station
2) Gathering or scavenging supplies for hacking your way around the station

As for job-specific rewards in space fabs, we already have a few of those, with similar levels of "changes how the job is played" (see: tsunami)

It's also possible to identify space-fabs from the PDA map, so I don't believe it's too much of a burden to expect a willing and able space exploring HoP to memorize the shape and then go find it.

We really do need more space loot that's more interesting than combat gear, and this seems like a good fit in multiple ways.

I know that isn't really what you hoped for, but I think that most people prefer bureaucratic desk RP HoP to being able to swap out ID accesses on the fly (especially considering that, for the most part, I bet this would be in the hands of a traitor pretty quickly. All the pain of AA handouts but without the weakness of at least knowing where to go to stop it)

(10-07-2021, 12:26 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: As for job-specific rewards in space fabs, we already have a few of those, with similar levels of "changes how the job is played" (see: tsunami)

It's also possible to identify space-fabs from the PDA map, so I don't believe it's too much of a burden to expect a willing and able space exploring HoP to memorize the shape and then go find it.

I’d he somewhat open to the idea of it if it was a gaurenteed spawn like the tsunami bottle/antique mop are in the debris field (maybe I could squeeze it in somewhere?), I’d rather not have it be RNG if I’m being honest. Another slightly fun idea I had, is to make it grimy and dirty with vines at the begining, requiring a mini quest around the civilian department to clean it until it’s able to be opened, greasing it’s hinges with the chefs grease, sniping off vines with botanys chainsaws/weed killer, cleaning off the caked layer of dust and dirt with a janitors sponge and spray bottle,, and banishing it’s demons (angry clown spirit that wasn’t given AA) with holy water.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Ikea - 10-07-2021

My concern as prefab loot is that itd make the item basically impossible to get as HoP reasonably on RP (considering rushing prefabs is metagaming), and RP would benefit most by the HoP being able to go around the station and be able to make id changes (considering with Rps lower pop theres less id to change, and also going out and seeking interaction is a big part of rp). Personally Id be happiest with this being a thing you could fabricate only once, with a cost of something like high energy conductor, power source and sturdy metal or something like that.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Rilor - 10-07-2021

(10-07-2021, 12:26 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: One of HoP's roundstart crew goals is to "be off station wearing a space suit"

It's very much a job where one of the expected outcomes is that you man the desk for a bit, then leave to go explore or do whatever you want.

Its on-station function can be replaced by:
1) The Captain or HoS, who generally are more likely to stay on station
2) Gathering or scavenging supplies for hacking your way around the station

As for job-specific rewards in space fabs, we already have a few of those, with similar levels of "changes how the job is played" (see: tsunami)

We really do need more space loot that's more interesting than combat gear, and this seems like a good fit in multiple ways.

I know that isn't really what you hoped for, but I think that most people prefer bureaucratic desk RP HoP to being able to swap out ID accesses on the fly (especially considering that, for the most part, I bet this would be in the hands of a traitor pretty quickly. All the pain of AA handouts but without the weakness of at least knowing where to go to stop it)

here's an idea that could combat that fear about sec being unable to track someone whos handing out AA: it has a GPS built in or something so its location is visible on all the GPS's, meaning keep it on you and you get caught, hide it somewhere and secs going to take your toy

(10-07-2021, 01:41 PM)Ikea Wrote: My concern as prefab loot is that itd make the item basically impossible to get as HoP reasonably on RP

Hmm, maybe there could be a note and GPS located in the hops locker about a shipping accident, and the locater points towards the labtop/briefcase, with the briefcase itself locked in a hop access only crate? As for it being hard for sec to locate, it could also help solve that problem, though the briefcase isn’t exactly discrete, you can’t put it in a backpack or anything.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Ikea - 10-07-2021

Still seems bad to promote HoPs to fuck off to space every rp round if they want to play one specific playstyle.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - unfunnyperson - 10-07-2021

give the hop the computer roundstart, making the hop more mobile makes the job less boring

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Theunsolved-puzzle - 10-08-2021

https://imgur.com/a/cfETxEE

hmm what if its inserted as a sort of test obtainability wise, as in, in space maps its a item that you have to adventure for, I made a hasty proof of concept debris field location in photoshop, its likely to change though, but the idea was that theres a front desk area, and there would be a area that requires hop access, inside would be a bedroom with a naval coat, the labtop, a corgi with a faded name on its collar, and some other junk.

However, in water maps, its a item that spawns on the hops desk or in their bedroom.

That way, it can be tested as a "spawn with" item, and as a item which you would have to leave the station to go and get

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - FlamingLily - 10-13-2021

I can't think of a reason to not have it be accessible from roundstart, always.

If we're worried about making the HoP's office itself be completely useless, maybe have it so that the computer can only use the preset jobs? So you can't give people specific accesses while mobile, but you can change their job?

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Theunsolved-puzzle - 10-13-2021

I want it to be round start too TBH. RN I’m proposing more of a test/compromise where on water maps it spawns in the hops office, but in space maps it’s a quest the hop has to go on, and based on future player action and reception a change could be made, devs have yet to get back to me on this though.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - daedalus_10 - 10-14-2021

Is there any limiter on the device for potential traitors? If not, this feels like a really easy way to get AA as a traitor near roundstart. Especially if it starts in a prefab.

RE: [PR] Portable ID Computer implementation - Theunsolved-puzzle - 10-14-2021

(10-14-2021, 07:48 AM)daedalus_10 Wrote: Is there any limiter on the device for potential traitors? If not, this feels like a really easy way to get AA as a traitor near roundstart. Especially if it starts in a prefab.

Your misunderstanding it, it is just a ID computer in a briefcase, so it still needs a 2nd card with id computer access on it to actually use it.