Goonstation Forums
The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin (/showthread.php?tid=16550)

Pages: 1 2

The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Mouse - 06-04-2021

It's absurd.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Cal - 06-04-2021

Sure sounds good to me theres biosuits in there already anyway

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Maegor - 06-04-2021

It is enough? I swear I once got poisoned when I made it without a biosuit.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - GORE - 06-04-2021

You spawn in a labratory with biousuits. Just put them on and don't argue to downgrade the depth of this game.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Mouse - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 02:21 PM)GORE Wrote: You spawn in a labratory with biousuits. Just put them on and don't argue to downgrade the depth of this game.

Uh, what?

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Azrun - 06-04-2021

What part is absurd?  That is a gas mask's job regarding the smoke.

Scientist: gas mask, white shoes, labcoat, and the jumpsuit give full immunity to skin penetration
Roboticist's: latex gloves, black shoes, labcoat, and jumpsuit give >90% immunity to skin penetration

You need 3 or more pieces of equipment to give immunity to skin penetrating chemicals.  Do you think there should be more required or that they should be less effective?

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - DimWhat - 06-04-2021

Labcoats don't seem like they reasonably would or should completely leave you chemically sealed considering it's a coat, not a full body suit. Hell I didn't even know they did till now.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Lady Birb - 06-04-2021

Chemical protection should be listed in item tooltips

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - zjdtmkhzt - 06-04-2021

Yes, this seems pretty ridiculous.

Permeability Coefficients:
Gas mask: 0.01
Lab coat: 0.25
Jumpsuit: 0.5
White shoes: 0.05

An issue is that the current calculation for this divides the values by 3, but you actually have 4 items that protect you.
So you end up with (4-(0.01+0.25+0.5+0.05))/3 = ~106% protection from touch effects in smoke.
If it were 4, you would instead end up with (4-(0.01+0.25+0.5+0.05))/4 = ~80% protection from touch effects in smoke.
Of course, that system instantly falls apart when you add something as simple as gloves or a hat with some permeability coefficient to your spaceperson.

The sensible thing then would be to do something like making a few different zones, like head, hands, torso, feet, with different slot clothing being able to protect different areas, so no matter how much your hat, gas mask, and goggles protect you, you'll still receive touch effects via your hands, torso, and legs if you are not wearing other protective gear.
Something like an outer suit could protect all areas in that case, there could be a field with a bitmask type thing for which clothing piece can protect which areas in addition to the permeability coefficient, in that way we could realistically model what percentage of a spaceperson should be exposed to touch effects.

Of course, someone would have to actually code that and then classify the items appropriately, and they might just end up with a system as understandable to the average player as the old pathology infection protection.^^

Anyway, my closing statement is: this is dumb and default scientist gear should not protect you from sarin smoke. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

(06-04-2021, 03:26 PM)Azrun Wrote: What part is absurd?  That is a gas mask's job regarding the smoke.

Scientist: gas mask, white shoes, labcoat, and the jumpsuit give full immunity to skin penetration
Roboticist's: latex gloves, black shoes, labcoat, and jumpsuit give >90% immunity to skin penetration

You need 3 or more pieces of equipment to give immunity to skin penetrating chemicals.  Do you think there should be more required or that they should be less effective?

I think the part that is absurd is that apparently none of the sarin is touching your skin, even though in this scenario you are not wearing anything on your head apart from the mask (which covers only the front part of your face), your neck is completely exposed, your hands are exposed, your jumpsuit is just a jumpsuit, so your legs and torso are probably not perfectly protected from smoke, etc...
All in all, it just makes no sense. (And I think it is questionable from a gameplay standpoint as well, because why do we even have the biosuits for the scientists then?)

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Technature - 06-04-2021

I remember when coming to the Ideas forum I would see wacky things that might be good ideas instead of an army of threads saying things should be nerfed.

I'm genuinely thinking of just posting a shitty idea just so there's some sort of balance here.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Mouse - 06-05-2021

(06-04-2021, 03:26 PM)Azrun Wrote: What part is absurd?  That is a gas mask's job regarding the smoke.

I think special gear should be required when handling fucking nerve gas.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - GORE - 06-05-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:01 PM)Technature Wrote: I remember when coming to the Ideas forum I would see wacky things that might be good ideas instead of an army of threads saying things should be nerfed.

I'm genuinely thinking of just posting a shitty idea just so there's some sort of balance here.

Good call.

Let's remove drugs.

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Mouse - 06-05-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:01 PM)Technature Wrote: I remember when coming to the Ideas forum I would see wacky things that might be good ideas instead of an army of threads saying things should be nerfed.

This is more of a buff to sarin, frankly.

(Also I'm reasonably sure that the combo blocking sarin was an unintended consequence of changes to labcoats that made them better at blocking chemsmoke.  I could be wrong but if I'm not the current situation is actually an exploit.)

RE: The labcoat/gasmask combo should not be enough to safely make sarin - Camryn - 06-05-2021

I could've SWORN you used to have to wear a biosuit with active internals to avoid the sarin poisoning.

Probably should be fixed if that's no longer the case

(06-05-2021, 04:52 AM)Camryn Wrote: I could've SWORN you used to have to wear a biosuit with active internals to avoid the sarin poisoning.

Probably should be fixed if that's no longer the case

You are correct.  Labcoat chem resist got buffed at some point and apparently it was enough to make you immune to sarin with a gas mask.