Goonstation Forums
Space LAWWW - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Space LAWWW (/showthread.php?tid=1639)

Pages: 1 2

Space LAWWW - Sundance - 09-20-2013

I think the Captain and the HoS should start with a space law book in their room.
Now your probably thinking, "no, fuck space law, fuck space law forever" and I'd totally agree with you, but this book is different.
This book is blank. It can be filled in with a pen. It's has always been in the spirit of goon that security makes up its own law once it is fun, so this can be solidified with this book.

Pro's:
  1. Make up whacky laws and state them to the crew, or for the hos, make up what you think is proper security etiquette, like "Minor offenses such as breaking & entering, possession of stolen goods, etc, may be acquitted if the offender makes a contribution towards security funding" v
  2. There's a reason why I said two books. The captain may write some laws up, and so may the hos, and if they conflict, sure they might edit both books to look similar, or (preferably) they may argue bitterly and raise the already pretty tense relationship between the captain and the hos. Semantics v
  3. May increase the odds of people picking lawyer, and perhaps increase the occurrence of the ultra rare court case. Any reason for people to pick more obscure jobs like lawyer is only a good thing
  4. I was thinking the book should have similar properties to a bible, so you can beat people over the head with it and it makes the slapping noise. The person getting hit could get a message:
    You feel more obedient
    The actual effects of this are undecided, maybe causes them to talk in a different accent? Or reverse the effects of brain damage (and thus reverse the effects of the bible?) or both?
  5. Super easy to code I would imagine. It's just a resprited piece of blank paper to look like a book with scales on it and with a different name, and has properties like stated in 4.

Now your probably thinking, bar 4, this isn't really any different than getting a piece of paper and labeling "SPACE LAWWW" and then writing stuff on it. But any assistant could do that. This makes it look a bit more official, even if the laws in it have massive loopholes/encourage corruption/are pure and utter bollox.

Re: Space LAWWW - Spy_Guy - 09-20-2013

While the idea in itself seems alright, I can't imagine someone taking the time out of their day to fill in the space law book when there are crimers to catch / eguns to lose.

Not to mention on rounds when there is no HoS and Officer Crappenstein finds the empty law book and decides that "since there are no laws, I AM THE LAW" before spacing the detective for having a revolver.

Would this not be more trouble than its worth?

Re: Space LAWWW - Marquesas - 09-20-2013

Giving this to public access captain is a terrible, terrible idea and you know it.

Re: Space LAWWW - Admiral jimbob - 09-20-2013

Every shithead Captain (most Captains) who cares about security will use this as an excuse to tase/brig every single person who disagrees with his awful /tg/ rulebook

Re: Space LAWWW - Goton564 - 09-20-2013

I don't really know what's the point of it. It's just a book which can be written on. And absolutely nobody would read it.

Re: Space LAWWW - Sundance - 09-20-2013

Spy_Guy Wrote:While the idea in itself seems alright, I can't imagine someone taking the time out of their day to fill in the space law book when there are crimers to catch / eguns to lose.

Not to mention on rounds when there is no HoS and Officer Crappenstein finds the empty law book and decides that "since there are no laws, I AM THE LAW" before spacing the detective for having a revolver.

Would this not be more trouble than its worth?

I actually in a rather nerdy way have written some eloquently worded do's and don'ts that in a random text file on my desktop.

For me, it would be literally just copying and pasting. Many people have similar text files, for chem lists or w/e.

Admiral jimbob Wrote:Every shithead Captain (most Captains) who cares about security will use this as an excuse to tase/brig every single person who disagrees with his awful /tg/ rulebook

Marquesas Wrote:Giving this to public access captain is a terrible, terrible idea and you know it.

*groan* You may be right. I've been wearing rose tinted glasses with captains as of late as for most of the time people who picked them are players well versed in how goon works. The whole point of leaving the book blank was essentially a big middle finger to /tg/ space law, when people work fine without it.
If you truly believe the craptain will abuse this, then it'd be best to leave inside the HoS's locker, so when there IS a hos on board and he wants to do a written law gimmick, then he can.
Goton564 Wrote:I don't really know what's the point of it. It's just a book which can be written on. And absolutely nobody would read it.
It's a prop, essentially. If you were security and you saw the hos put it on security table, you'd probably read it. If you wanted to do a lawyer gimmick, you'd most definitely read it. If you were a traitor, you'd be probably wondering why the hos is smacking you with it.

Re: Space LAWWW - Goton564 - 09-20-2013

Sundance Wrote:If you truly believe the craptain will abuse this, then it'd be best to leave inside the HoS's locker

This is a better idea. New people rolling security jobs won't go "the book that i found on the table says blah blah i must kill you its the law" which was written by a bad captain.
A HoS can make better space laws than a captain.

Re: Space LAWWW - Spy_Guy - 09-20-2013

Sundance Wrote:[...]
If you truly believe the craptain will abuse this, then it'd be best to leave inside the HoS's locker, so when there IS a hos on board and he wants to do a written law gimmick, then he can.
[...]
This I am alright with. Seeing as how the HoS is pre-screened against shittiness I can see the usefulness of this.
Sundance Wrote:[...]
If you were a sec officer, you'd be probably wondering why the hos is smacking you with it.
[...]
I think that'd be more accurate. Lots of sec officers need a good smacking with such a book.
Still slightly bitter over being accosted by sec and the King Craptain himself when I was just doing my job as a detective. *grumble

Re: Space LAWWW - ClockworkCupcake - 09-20-2013

I'm in favor of this, if only because it would make it possible to literally throw the book at criminals.

Re: Space LAWWW - Admiral jimbob - 09-20-2013

Sundance Wrote:If you truly believe the craptain will abuse this, then it'd be best to leave inside the HoS's locker, so when there IS a hos on board and he wants to do a written law gimmick, then he can.
Yeah, put this way, it's a fun idea and shouldn't be any trouble to implement. Don't see any reason not to put it in. Hey, it might even actually be legitimately useful - if the HoS writes "don't automatically publically execute everyone who gets caught with an emag you shitlords" then fucks off and dies somewhere, I can throw the rulebook at the supercop HoP while *screaming until he leaves!

Re: Space LAWWW - Lavastage - 09-20-2013

I like this idea a lot, it would be fun seeing security beat traitors over the head with the book, and it would be useful to people to not be spaced/electric chaired/disposal-ed because the HoS put a law banning security from doing that to you.

I'm totally with this. Minus the part where the captain has the book, this is a fun idea.

Re: Space LAWWW - epicdwarf - 09-20-2013

I am full support for this! As long as "it sez In da book dat i cam murdor" is not an excuse to break the rules, I see no problem.

Re: Space LAWWW - Embolism - 09-20-2013

I'm not so sure about leaving it blank, I don't think many people would bother taking the time to fill it out. Why not just fill it out with very basic rules (things like security should "preserve human dignity", i.e. no stripping prisoners naked). And if you really feel like writing extra laws that no one but you is going to read sure.

Re: Space LAWWW - Kubius - 09-20-2013

Perhaps a save/load system that allows you to copy down your favorite set of space laws serverside and call it up instead of having to retype it (think ABC-U).

Re: Space LAWWW - Clarks - 09-23-2013

The only thing a space law book should contain is a list of crime codes.

So rentacops can yell over the radio stuff like "501(clown beating) in progress at the bar, requesting immediate backup".