Goonstation Forums
HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Server Appeals (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Approved Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) (/showthread.php?tid=16074)

HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Annoyed Egg - 03-22-2021

Usual character name: Rube Quirin
BYOND username: Annoyed Egg
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Keanu#3854
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Main/1

Reason for application:
I find that a leader for sec greatly improves their coordination, helps stop bad practices, and is helpful for teaching newer members to the team and I hope to help fulfill this role. Anyway, even if it isn’t approved it will be a good learning experience and help me find out what I need to improve on.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I started playing security on Overflow/2. I got to learn the basic mechanics and how to deal with many types of antags, via playing against them and as them. It was nice to learn in a low-pressure environment, but as I got more adept, I found it less entertaining. I took a break from security to play other roles, such as scientist, engineer, doctor, and quartermaster.

After a while, I decided to play on main/1 more, and eventually primarily. I enjoyed the chaos and busyness of the station. I enjoyed having more officers to work with and being able to see how other officers and HoS' played the role. The biggest thing I noticed often was the lack of communication, often resulting in a disorganised and ineffective team, people being arrested repeatedly due to not being taken off arrest, people who should be on arrest not being set to arrest, and general confusion and lack of situation awareness.

I’ll focus more on my playstyle here. I try to be more relaxed with crimes, generally giving verbal warnings/tickets before an arrest, usually only in the case of a repeat offense unless it’s a more serious crime (putting people into crit, murder, having an officer’s equipment with little reason). Generally, I’ll give low brig times unless the convict is being a pain in the ass (repeated escape attempts, trashing the brig, ect.) and most of the time for minor crimes (theft for not dangerous shit, breaking and entering outside of sec and bridge) I’ll shove em over and fart on them a few times and tell them to not do that. If I am brigging/setting someone on arrest, I'll say who it is, for what reason, and how long they will be in the brig (if brigged).I’ll shout over radio if some officer is being shitty (generally carrying a flamer around with little reason, perhaps even using it on people), and if they don’t fix it via that I’ll find them and talk to them in person. In terms of capital punishment, I save it for only rampagers and people who are being a constant annoyance to the crew with many, many repeat offenses, and get permission from heads (or an overwhelming majority vote for doing it from other officers, in the case that the HoS/Cap/HoP is dead/not responding). I try to borg them if I am able, generally only exception being revheads if the station is in shambles. Also no perma or expelling to mining/debris/azones, not a big fan of them.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Talk. Nobody likes dealing with a voiceless officer, both crimers and other members of the team. Sure, if someone is rampaging or decides to run away after you start talking to them, then sure, stun em, but many things can be resolved though talking. Gangs? Make a set of rules of war and inform the gangs, once they follow them you don't intervene. Traitors/Spies? If the contraband is dangerous, ask them to hand it over if you can, instead of brigging. Vamps? Request that they drink bloodpacks and humanised monkeys instead of people. Need help? Either press the alert button for urgent help, or radio if you have the time. I've played rounds where it's ends up that I am the only secoff left alive after a rampager, with no knowledge other than what I have seen myself due to lack of communication.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    Either that time we got the whole sec team on a cargo tug and charged headfirst into a blob or the time or the time I prayed to be solo op, went on trial after I failed, and then became the stations local (relatively) friendly redsuit sniper.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
    Redsuits lie in wait,
    Prepared for brutal assault.
    The charge is in place.
  • Draw a picture!
    Enjoy this bad drawing of Rube
[Image: Untitled67_20210321005132.png]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None, but I got a note a few months back relating to the secrets rule.

RE: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Froggit_Dogget - 03-23-2021

Yes +1

RE: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Slazenger - 03-28-2021

While I'm a stinky RP player and thus haven't had a chance to work with you, from a strictly-application perspective, you articulated a lot of the key points that makes someone successful in the role and seem to be interested in getting the beret for the right reasons. I like the points you brought up regarding talking things out. Be it RP or Main, roleplay and verbal communication is inherently a cornerstone of SS13; situations only get more interesting and more involved once dialogue is opened up. With a nice haiku and impressive artwork added on, just wanted to drop a friendly note and a good luck!

RE: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Mysticmidgit - 03-28-2021

Get this man a lawbringer, +1

RE: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Drago156 - 03-28-2021

Rube's a pretty decent sec off when I've seen them around. Definitely has a unique and noticeable fashion sense. +1 here

RE: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - THISISANICEGAME - 04-05-2021

Good sec, always a pleasure to have them in the team. +1

RE: HoS Application (Rube Quirin) - Enakai - 04-08-2021

yeah i like seeing you around, good egg, would make a good HoS +1