Goonstation Forums
Telescience ease of life suggestion - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Telescience ease of life suggestion (/showthread.php?tid=1539)

Pages: 1 2

Telescience ease of life suggestion - VictorMAngoStein - 08-23-2013

Players should be able to type their algebraic equations into the telescience computer. That way, if they have the correct formulas they will be able to enter real-world coordinatees into the computer instead of converting them every time.

The telescience room could also use extra space GPS's incase you fuck up while learning the math and can't recover one.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Marquesas - 08-23-2013

The earlier I do not agree with.

The latter I do.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Embolism - 08-23-2013

Well, there's three GPSes there already for one screw-up, and if you do it right there should be zero chance of losing any GPS unless the formula resets (which I never see nowadays if you don't input invalid coordinates after discovering it).

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - VictorMAngoStein - 08-23-2013

The way the wiki tells it you need all 3 of them (teleport 2 and use the 3rd to read their locations) and there are no spares.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - david2222121 - 08-23-2013

Uh

Can't you just, you know, get the reading from the first tele spot, bring the gps back, then send it to the next? No need for the third.

Besides, aren't there even more GPS units in the tracking implant kit?

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - VictorMAngoStein - 08-23-2013

I tried that yesterday (sent it to z-level 3) but couldn't recover it even though I didn't change the coords. I guess that's one of the nonexistent z-levels that the space pigs and lions come from.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Marquesas - 08-24-2013

Okay, let's make this clear. You don't need *both* GPSes to extrapolate the functions, one will do just fine if you shoot it off and then retrieve it. If you can't, it's either bad luck (z-levels changed after sending the GPS) or your very own dumbness. That means you have a spare one.

And no, you don't have zero chance of losing a GPS. The first coordinates you try are pure guesswork, and if you're wrong a lot of bad things can happen. Such as the GPS on the pad being teleported randomly a short distance, which is quite enough to place it in a out of sight wall cluster or, more commonly, in space.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Weavel - 08-24-2013

The box on the table in telescience holds like four more GPSs anyway, how can you lose 7 gps things

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Embolism - 08-24-2013

Marquesas Wrote:And no, you don't have zero chance of losing a GPS. The first coordinates you try are pure guesswork, and if you're wrong a lot of bad things can happen. Such as the GPS on the pad being teleported randomly a short distance, which is quite enough to place it in a out of sight wall cluster or, more commonly, in space.

The way I do it, I only put a GPS on the pad when the computer tells me that the coordinates I am sending to (sending is completely safe if the shutters are closed) are not invalid. The only way I can lose a GPS then is if the formula changes, and as I said that never seems to happen anymore if you don't input any invalid coordinates.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Marquesas - 08-24-2013

Embolism Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:And no, you don't have zero chance of losing a GPS. The first coordinates you try are pure guesswork, and if you're wrong a lot of bad things can happen. Such as the GPS on the pad being teleported randomly a short distance, which is quite enough to place it in a out of sight wall cluster or, more commonly, in space.

The way I do it, I only put a GPS on the pad when the computer tells me that the coordinates I am sending to (sending is completely safe if the shutters are closed) are not invalid. The only way I can lose a GPS then is if the formula changes, and as I said that never seems to happen anymore if you don't input any invalid coordinates.

Oh I can assure you, it happens. To me. Every second time I use that thing. It's annoying.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - david2222121 - 08-24-2013

I once had the formulas change on me in the middle of sending supplies to an away team while recovering returning members and loot. Only it kept working until I tried to change the coordinates to something else. Not sure if it was a bug, or if that's how it's supposed to work. Mysterious happenings!

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - BlackPhoenix - 08-24-2013

Am I the only one who uses receive until I stop getting invalid coordinates...so I never lose a GPS?

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Kaet - 08-25-2013

BlackPhoenix Wrote:Am I the only one who uses receive until I stop getting invalid coordinates...so I never lose a GPS?
I do that too. Thought of it after losing my first couple of GPS' when I first started messing with telescience so I thought this was common practice

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - Embolism - 08-25-2013

BlackPhoenix Wrote:Am I the only one who uses receive until I stop getting invalid coordinates...so I never lose a GPS?

I use send so I won't get a nasty surprise when I open the shutters.

Re: Telescience ease of life suggestion - BlackPhoenix - 08-25-2013

Embolism Wrote:

I use send so I won't get a nasty surprise when I open the shutters.
Nasty surprises are the ~fun~ part of telesci.