Goonstation Forums
zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Server Appeals (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Approved Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application (/showthread.php?tid=14777)

Pages: 1 2

zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - zjdtmkhzt - 08-02-2020

Usual character name: Malcolm Curry, rarely D.R.A.G.O.N. as AI
BYOND username: zjdtmkhzt
Discord username (if you are on our discord): zjdtmkhzt#1748
Recommended by (if applicable): kyle, adhara, Tarmunora
Goon servers you play: Goon #2 and Goon #4, may play RP in the future

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
Greetings, spaceperson!
I started playing this game in late February of 2018, picking the goonstation server because it was said to be both zero-rp and friendly to new players.
Since then I've played quite a lot, though sometimes having moderate periods of less activity.

During my time playing, I've acquired experience in most departments. In an effort to be thorough, I have decided to take a more structured approach to this section than most other applications.

Science:
  • I can pretty reliably identify and activate any artifact. I know both the artlab ways and the "ghetto" ways to achieve this. I have taught new players this on several occasions.
  • I frequently mess around with chemistry (though often not in the chemistry department) and I understand most of the interactions between various chems. I know where some rarer chems may be found and I sometimes dabble in finding secret chems.
  • I am quite quick at calibrating and using telescience. Sometimes new players ask me to show them how telescience works, I try to tailor my explanations for this according to their knowledge of linear equations (With varying success.). Thankfully the wiki page on this is also quite in-depth!
  • I used to be pretty good at making TTV and single tank bombs, but semi-recent changes in the way TTVs work have partially made my knowledge obsolete. I intend to learn this again in the future, though I never really took the time to learn how to make canister bombs.
Medbay:
  • I am familiar with all of the medical chems and I like to think I am quite good at keeping people from dying most of the time.
  • I also know how to do all kinds of surgery and I have on occasions taught this to new players, which is always a good time, especially if your patient is having fun as well.
  • I have played a fair amount of Genetics, I feel confident in saying I know pretty much all there is to know about that department.
  • I have played enough Robotics to know how to put Cyborgs and AIs together and how to fix them if they break. I've also built a bot or two from scratch on occasion, though I mostly use the fabricators for this.
  • I have a moderate amount of experience in the (currently disabled) Pathology department, so I believe I will be able to answer the only question about it that matters. ("Why isn't Pathology working?" "It's disabled at the moment.").
Silicon:
  • I do not usually play as a Cyborg (unless made into one), but I have played quite a few rounds as AI, so I think I know an ok amount of Silicon related things, though there are probably some tricks to be able to do things in an efficient manner as Cyborg, that I am not aware of.
Engineering:
  • I understand the theory behind the TEG and I can set up a pretty ok hellburn, though I usually just copy the setup that someone once showed me.
  • I know how to set up geothermals well enough so that Oshan does not run out of power. I am also familiar with the theory behind stacking hotspots, but every time I try I end up falling down a hole, so I usually do not. : )
  • I know how to set up a Singularity Engine, and apart from one embarrassing incident containment has never failed because of me.
"Engineering":
  • I have played some rounds as QM and I think I know how to make some money and how to get requested items to where they need to be.
  • I have played some rounds in Mining and I have some knowledge of how to get materials and what you can do with them. (Though the matsci system is woefully underdeveloped.)
Civilian:
  • I play a fair amount of chef and bartender, so I know how to make the sickest drinks and how to prepare the most delicious meals.
  • I occasionally play botany (it's actually the job I started out as when I first played). I know the theory of how to get plants and how splicing and traits work, though my methods are probably often somewhat inefficient.
Nerd Stuff:
  • I have done a fair amount of mechcomp, packet and Dwaine silliness, though some of the higher scripting stuff still eludes me.
  • I have completed most adventure zones and have occasionally taken less experienced crewmembers along. I try to let them discover things for themselves, possibly giving small hints if necessary. Sometimes all of us die, but that is fun too!
Security:
  • I have played little Security, really only occasionally as Detective, so this is probably one of my blind spots. I do know how all the weaponry works and how to obtain it.
  • I also have a good grasp on forensics, due to my time playing as Detective.
Antagonists:
  • Probably my biggest blind spot, I only really have traitor enabled. I also played a fair amount of nukie and wizard in the past, but I know little about how things like Changeling, Vampire, or Blob work from the perspective of the antagonist.
When I am asked a question and I do not know the answer, I will often check the code, though I try to be careful not to reveal too much and spoil peoples experience.

As for my reasons for applying:
  • I already try to teach things to people when I notice that someone is new, I believe being a mentor would allow me to do this more efficiently.
  • Through my time playing this game, lots of people have helped me learn things, I believe that sometimes you just need a little bit of help to really get started with a department or to discover how to do things much more efficiently. I would like to also help other people in this way.
  • I think that learning new things is really the main draw of the game for a lot of people (next to roleplaying with others). I think that reading mentorhelps may help me learn new things too, because I am sure other people ask questions I may not even think of.
  • I wanna be a purple mouse.
Thank you for reading my long monologue, have a nice day. ^_^
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): none

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Carbadox - 08-02-2020

Terrible name and terrible person, didnt even put me down as a recommendation when I asked them to
+1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - RichardGere - 08-02-2020

yes make 'em purple +1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Drago156 - 08-02-2020

(08-02-2020, 01:36 AM)Carbadox Wrote: Terrible name and terrible person, didnt even put me down as a recommendation when I asked them to
+1

Wow, you too? I mean come on, how much bulli much one do in a day to get put as a recc!?
+1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Caro - 08-02-2020

Yes, zjfhuwshfpkf is one of the friendliest people in goon community, and I definetly remember Malcolm helping me out in the past, when I was still a relatively new player
+1 from me

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - kyle2143 - 08-02-2020

Zjdktkeld is a real good and fun player from what I've seen. Super helpful to people on discord like in ss13 discussion and imcoder. Never had a negative interaction with em. I'm sure they'll be a fantastic mentor.

If only zjhdktlejd was name that was possible to pronounce or spell.

+1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - UrsulaMejor - 08-02-2020

Is already a mentor in everything but title. +1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Lurkey - 08-02-2020

about time this nerd applied

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Tarmunora - 08-02-2020

A good nerd who would make a good mentor. Maybe he'll teach us how to pronounce his name

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - SimianC - 08-02-2020

Should have applied months ago.
Great player that knows their stuff.
They're a pathology nerd, but I'm willing to look past that.
+1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Tiggersaurus - 08-02-2020

Yusyusyus super good and nice +1

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Adhara In Space - 08-02-2020

good nerd. is helpful and good at communicating. nice to be around, top 10 least likely people to abuse mentor meta information. also smart and knows stuff. i think they should be a mentor :smile:

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Couturier - 08-02-2020

They are a good person and very helpful. Terrible haircut though. Just awful.

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - pali6 - 08-02-2020

My only critique is the absence of my name in the recommendations. Yes.

RE: zjdtmkhzt's Mentor Application - Flourish - 08-02-2020

Zjd is really helpful and nice, both ingame and on Discord. They'd be a great mentor!