Goonstation Forums
Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random (/showthread.php?tid=13622)

Pages: 1 2

Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Mouse - 01-15-2020

Right now, it's pretty hit or miss if you get a poison that would actually be useful.  Loads of the possible chems are disease reagents, most of which take too long to kill or disable in a firefight.  (And to add insult to injury, you can't even use all the contents of the poison bottle unless you also dissolve a cyanide pill in there - syringe guns need 15u to fire, and poison bottles have 40.)  One fix would be to simply have nukeops poison bottles pull from a smaller pool, but I think a different approach might work.

It's reasonably common for the medic to be the last nukeop left alive; they've got all the meds and they're easily the least dangerous class in combat.  So I suggest, instead of a poison bottle, the medic should get a 90u pill of curare.  That gives them six shots of a poison that's basically guaranteed to take the target out of the fight for some time.  The medic can use this to disable dangerous targets so they can be killed by someone else, the use I feel it would be best suited for would be as an emergency play when all the other nukeops are dead:  shoot every attacker you can, and you might be able to keep them down long enough for the nuke to go off even if they've already killed you.

And frankly, forcing the living crew members to watch helplessly as the bomb counts down is deliciously evil.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Carbadox - 01-15-2020

Silly, everyone knows that the only weapon a medic needs is the RPG launcher.

On a serious note, I wish you could choose what chem bottle of poison you got so that it wasn’t all rng, or at the very least make the bottles labelled as to their contents.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Gannets - 01-15-2020

Yeah, I should have done something about this ages ago

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - KikiMofo - 01-15-2020

I think the medic nuke op should come with a thing that lets you pick poisons but it costs a certain amount of....poison credits? Kinda like the traitor PDA. More dangerous poisons cost more and what not.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Studenterhue - 01-15-2020

I've entertained the thought of separating the poison bottle into a "disease bottle" with all the deadly disease reagents and a "poison bottle" with the regular poisons, because both are used differently as Mouse described. All the jobs that can buy poison bottles can then have a bit more leeway in getting the kind of poison they want, but that if it seems a little too powerful or whatever, perhaps we can just give Medic a special poison bottle with only regular poisons, similar to how the Infiltrator gets a limited-use cloaker.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Kovirii - 01-15-2020

Just collect all the cyanide pills All Ears

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Vengarr - 01-15-2020

Nuke Op medics start with a poison bottle??? Where?

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Podrick Equus - 01-15-2020

It's in their supply crate, Vengarr. Typically I put the 40u poison bottle and one 50u cyanide pill into my syringe gun.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Vengarr - 01-15-2020

Oh my god.

I play medic all the time and I never noticed that. Just loaded up all the cyanide and when that ran out, focused entirely on healing.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Sundance - 01-15-2020

I personally love the idea of curare being the poison of choice for the combat medic, as outlined in the OP. Combined with the cyanide pills + one other chem (Maybe not random??), would be a good and devious balance

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Gannets - 01-16-2020

When my baby gives me some free time, I'll probably add the curare at least. Also considering Juggernaut as an additional buff for medic kits.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - Vengarr - 01-16-2020

Medic kit is already a bit unwieldy with how many items it comes with. I would trade a good chunk of them for another box of Donk-Pockets. Those are the real heroes.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - KikiMofo - 01-16-2020

Whats Juggernaut?

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - cyberTripping - 01-16-2020

(01-16-2020, 09:53 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: Whats Juggernaut?
Juggernaut is one of the new secret chems. It's basically the king of all analgesics, and it stops you from taking a portion of the damage you receive until it leaves your system. If you're on juggernaut, people can't hope to cripple you through damage alone unless they have something real strong up their sleeve.

RE: Replace the Nuke Ops Medic poison bottle with something less random - KikiMofo - 01-16-2020

Ahh so its a Super Painkiller? Nice. Only way to kill someone with that would be with outright damage I assume?