Goonstation Forums
The Strelka - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The Strelka (/showthread.php?tid=13418)

Pages: 1 2

The Strelka - Ryumi - 12-03-2019

I've seen a lot of discussion about this little pod in both many rounds and the Discord. So, I thought it would be appropriate to open up a forum discussion to maybe organize it a little more.

So, the Strelka is a one-of-a-kind pod you can find in the debris field. It's unguarded and anyone who knows its location can get there within just a minute of the round starting. The problem I very frequently see occurring is that the Strelka has special laser shots that are stronger than the normal light scout phasers that civilian pods use, AND it can be fired more rapidly.

In a few rounds, I've seen this pod get rushed by antagonists and used to murderbone basically anyone on the station they can reach. On maps like Cog1 this is incredibly easy to do because there are lots of open windows that lasers can go through. It also comes at little risk to the user because lasers have infinite shots, the user is out in space where players can't reach anyway and the user can retreat anywhere if they are fired at, and none of the on-station pods can challenge the Strelka in a fight because their phasers are too comparatively weak compared to it. A great answer to a "strelka nerd" would be to use the podbuster grenades and/or heavy phasers in the Armory, but that requires an HoS to be present so that people can access them, which isn't always the case because of the job's whitelisted nature.

What are some ways that we can deal with a Strelka as it stands? And if possible, what are some ways we can better balance the Strelka to prevent it from being an easy to get and risk-free mass-murder weapon? One method a Discord user suggested that I liked was to have the Strelka come in separate parts that a player has to assemble to create a Strelka. That way the player will have to dedicate some time and effort to get it.

RE: The Strelka - Unknownity - 12-03-2019

Keep the pod at the same place.
Remove the weapon part and place it in an adventure zone or the mining z level

RE: The Strelka - WhatATerribleUserName - 12-03-2019

The Strelka is fine to be honest. You can only really deal damage to people next to windows, who can easily move out of the way from fire. And a Sec Officer worth their salt can easily use a Security Pod and its basic taser weapons to knock a Strelka, which is only slightly tankier than a standard pod, out of the sky.

RE: The Strelka - UrsulaMejor - 12-03-2019

strelka is almost certainly not fine. have you ever tried to take on an indy pod with strelka lasers attached? no on station pod can really compete.

also, consider the effect the strelka has on blob rounds, with its high rate of fire absolutely decimating large areas of the blob, even going as far as to glitch through and kill reflective membranes

imo make the strelka lasers only function on the strelka itself. if you need an in lore explanation, cite the fact that it's Russian tech.

alternatively, replace the Stelka Lasers entirely with something more interesting, a la The captain's antique gun. it'd be cool to see it replaced with a build-your-own-pod-weapon kinda thing, the same way the captain's free second laser got replaced

RE: The Strelka - Lady Birb - 12-03-2019

I agree with the idea of leaving the pod itself but moving the lasers to an adventure zone. Trying for minimal spoilers, but there is a nice spot in meatstation I think the lasers could go.

RE: The Strelka - Unknownity - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 07:11 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I agree with the idea of leaving the pod itself but moving the lasers to an adventure zone. Trying for minimal spoilers, but there is a nice spot in meatstation I think the lasers could go.

Ainsley works too.

RE: The Strelka - Salami Sam - 12-04-2019

Keep the Strelka in tact but make the lasers have a slight chance to misfire and explode the ship.

But to be honest, I don't see the Strelka as much of a problem.

RE: The Strelka - Mouse - 12-04-2019

Make it start locked. You'd be surprised at how many people have no idea how to crack those.

RE: The Strelka - Camnui - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 05:53 PM)Mouse Wrote: Make it start locked.  You'd be surprised at how many people have no idea how to crack those.

Honestly that might work to deter at least the greytide in their efforts to abuse it, and it'd still allow some of the more savvy players to access the pod.

RE: The Strelka - Zafhset - 12-05-2019

the strelka is fine in my opinion. It can be pretty good in the right hands but is otherwise not hard to deal with most of the time.

If anything, having more pod weapon variations (affordable and accessible ones, not the crazy expensive stuff at the diner or the locked away laser ones in the armory) would help incentivize more approaches to pod combat.

RE: The Strelka - Camnui - 12-05-2019

Maybe a few buyable/ constructable anti-pod weapons that are handheld to help deal with the fact they can be a menace to anyone near a window.

RE: The Strelka - Leeanei - 12-05-2019

The primary problem with Strelka isn't so much the pod its the Prism lasers. And while there is an on-station weapon that's better, a strelka user worth their salt already shut down most of the station's ability to react beyond hopping in the sec pods.

The problem with Strelka is more how many round types it ruins/makes worse. Blob? Give up now if you are exposed to a window anywhere. Nukies just porting in can get wrecked because the frag cannons are so short ranged and the prism lasers have outrageous DPS. Or my favorite example, a traitor using prismatic that has cut the coms dish and is suppressing all attempts to call the shuttle after ruining most of the station. The problem with the prismatic lasers is that it just makes the game less fun, when things should really be judged by if things make the round more fun for everyone. Strelka seems to only have one case where it makes things better, which is the Y-drone fight but I know there's other equipment that can serve the same role.

RE: The Strelka - Technature - 12-05-2019

I've had three rounds in the last month that were ruined because a traitor grabbed this thing, destroyed every pod they could get to, and just shot everyone in space or near the window.

The most recent round was my own traitor round where I was lucky enough to surplus crate a mindslave cloner deluxe and some decent weapons.

At this point I'm willing to find where it spawns every round just so I can destroy the fucking thing.

RE: The Strelka - Zafhset - 12-05-2019

I'm not against having changes done to the strelka - the issue is that removing/changing it would further limit our current options to pod related activities (regardless of it being abused by people).

the big problem right now is that currently pod fights are basically 90% phaser duels, 5% laser/taser fights, and 5% the other rare/expensive weapon systems. Rather than remove a singular pod/weapon, why not spice it up by making it easier for people to get things to deal with it? I recall there used to be some fun pod weapons in the virtual arena thing - bringing some of them back might be fun.

RE: The Strelka - Sundance - 12-06-2019

(12-05-2019, 09:49 PM)Zafhset Wrote: I'm not against having changes done to the strelka - the issue is that removing/changing it would further limit our current options to pod related activities (regardless of it being abused by people).

the big problem right now is that currently pod fights are basically 90% phaser duels, 5% laser/taser fights, and 5% the other rare/expensive weapon systems. Rather than remove a singular pod/weapon, why not spice it up by making it easier for people to get things to deal with it? I recall there used to be some fun pod weapons in the virtual arena thing - bringing some of them back might be fun.

1001% this. I'm heavily against completely removing any features where a more subtle balancing approach can be taken. Sure, if something is flagrantly bad (i'm looking at you, TK Cthulhu wizard) then nerf away, but the Strelka isn't overpowered - it just has no competition if security/HOS isn't present. That can and should be changed.

Additional experimental weaponry for pod weapons could absolutely be dotted around z-levels or bought from traders. More types of pods(& subs) too! This should naturally encourage pod fights where just a straight ol nerf kind of leaves a void in its stead.