Goonstation Forums
AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Server Appeals (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+---- Forum: Approved Applications (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application (/showthread.php?tid=12948)

Pages: 1 2

AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - AleksAdamska - 09-20-2019

Usual character name: Ella Presley/Hecksley, Marmalade Addison, Jimmy Twotoes, Amelia Danger, Miles Away
BYOND username: AleksAdamska
Discord username: aleks
Recommended by (if applicable): Hokie, Avack, UrsulaMajor, Joefesok, SaccharineChampion
Goon servers you play: Mostly Goon 2, I'll occassionally hop on RP but not often.

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum): To tell the truth, I'm applying because helping people is one of the most fun things in this game to me. The greatest rounds I've had have been ones in which I've spent a round teaching a new player how to do something, and at the end of it all, I got to hear the metaphorical ding of the, also metaphorical, lightbulb appearing over their head as they have that "Aha!" moment where everything clicks for them. It's also satisfying seeing players grow and mature into seasoned veterans after they're no longer learning the very basics - I had a roboticist, upon learning how to make a borg, go on to do their damndest to borg any corpse they got their hands on in the following couple of rounds, which made me quite proud of them. I believe becoming a mentor and having access to a dedicated channel through which I can answer questions would be a natural extension of what I already enjoy doing in-game.

In terms of my experience, I'm primarily a medical player with security being my second most played department, and I'd like to think I'm fairly competent at both of these, having put quite a bit of time into all of the facets of medical (genetics, pathology, robotics, and doctoring itself), and played with quite a few experienced sec players that have shaped the way I play it myself. Research is a mixed bag - I understand telescience and a decent amount of chemistry, but advanced chem mixes and artifact research elude me for the moment - and engineering is certainly a dark spot in my knowledge, in that I can set up the TEG and mess around with very basic packet and mechcomp nerdery, but the actual mechanisms by which the TEG works aren't clear to me. However, I plan to rectify these gaps in my experience as I play the game more, and to pass that newfound knowledge onto others.

In summary, it is thanks to mentors and experienced players taking time out of their day to help me in understanding the game that I can even write about my experience, and so I'd like to give back to the community, and be that player for someone else.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - saccharineChampion - 09-20-2019

I have personally witnessed aleks' new player teaching, and I have nothing negative to say about her methods of doing so.
She is quick to learn what she does not understand. Shortly after she learned pathology, I saw her teaching another player how to do it. I believe this willingness of hers to acquire new information is extremely valuable for a mentor to have, given how sometimes an mhelp about a relatively new feature will leave active mentors scratching their heads.
As for teaching the basics, she is among those I see leap into answering simple questions new players ask ingame or in ooc.

An important facet of mentorhood is whether they can be trusted not to metagame with the information mhelps provide. I can speak positively for her character in that way - I have no doubt about her trustworthiness with this information. She doesn't powergame and is very considerate of her actions' effect on a round.

I can hardly think of a +1 I'd be more happy to give.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Tarmunora - 09-20-2019

From my experiences with aleks (mostly in med), they are knowledgeable and responsible enough for the purple. The only concern I might have is about the gaps in knowledge, (didn't mention either way about botany either) but that's what other mentors are for, I suppose. +1 from me.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - AleksAdamska - 09-20-2019

Whoops, I knew I forgot to mention something. My knowledge of the civilian departments is mostly in bartending, but I've been learning botany and while I'm not exceptional at it I can Grow Things, including stuff like fiery chilis which require big stats. The only real experience I have with cooking is deep frying monkeys for reagents. Thank you for reminding me, Tarm.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - UrsulaMejor - 09-20-2019

Aleks absolutely has the right attitude for mentorhood. Double downing on my recommendation; I have every expectation that aleks would make a model mentor.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Sov - 09-20-2019

Aleks is an active member of the community, especially on the discord server where she participates both in chat as well as in voice. I expect to see a lot of support in this thread from the active voice channel users which includes myself, but will do my best to eliminate bias in my post in the pursuit of fairness.

Primarily my interactions with her have taken place when she is playing as a medical doctor role or as a staff assistant. She's been able to save me from dying a few times, and is familiar with the various medical chems, medical equipment, and station layout - all of which are essential parts of being a good medical player. As a staff assistant I have observed Aleks engaging in some light RP with other members of the crew, as well as finding new and exciting ways to get herself killed. Overall I haven't observed any notable negative behaviors or abuses in either of these roles.

I have limited experience with her in a sec role, and as such will defer to the observations of others. I think seeing how someone plays in sec can be very telling, as it introduces a very different dynamic of interaction between yourself and the rest of the crew. If anyone as any strong feelings in regards to this I'd encourage them to share.

She is a relatively new player by comparison to some of our other mentors, but has good general game knowledge, and learns relatively quickly. Pathology is often regarded as one of the more difficult (and broken) roles on the station. Yet through asking questions and observation Aleks has been able to make viable pathogens where as most players haven't even touched that aspect of the game. I bring this up as I personally find that some of those who make the best teachers are also those who know how to ask the right type of questions. By having gone through the learning process yourself you pickup on things that others are likely to get stuck on and are able to better explain those same topics to others.

There are some areas where she is lacking experience, but if she continues at her current pace she will be more than up to par with being able to answer just about any of the general questions we get in mentor help (assuming the rest of you nerds ever leave any for the rest of us...)

Among the most important roles of a mentor is being trusted with IC information and not acting upon it when you yourself are also playing the game. Being a mentor means that you might find out who the changeling is 5 minutes into the round, and yet be forced to not run away screaming when that player approaches you in the maintenance tunnels asking if you can help find their lost dog. I believe that Aleks understands the responsibility of this and can be trusted not to metagame; keeping what her character knows separate from what she herself knows. We may often times joke about "meat gaming" in discord, but I find that the players have done an overall decent job of policing both themselves and others in this respect.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Avack - 09-20-2019

Pleasant, helpful. Would trust with answer question. Yes from me.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - WhatATerribleUserName - 09-20-2019

Aleks is a very helpful and knowledgeable member of the community. I'd be happy to see them as a mentor.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Vextrom - 09-20-2019

one of my favorite players. absolutely deserves to be a mentor. +1

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - SageAcrin - 09-20-2019

Medcurity is pretty good knowledge and basic mechanic knowledge like "how to fix floor" tends to be easy to pick up as you mentor-fringe stuff like telesci never hurts.

It's weird how often I go "OH NOW I REMEMBER (oldest name)".

But yeah, +1 vote here.

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Adhara In Space - 09-21-2019

aleks is very good
*trustworthy
*driven to help
*knows how to help
*active in the (ew) community
+1 from me

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - MeWaka - 09-21-2019

Very good, +1

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Joefesok - 09-21-2019

Like I said in Aleks' HOS app, I feel like all of Aleks' characters have a positive effect on the round they are in. Just in general Aleks is super helpful and nice to players when they are trying to grasp new concepts, as well as just learning shit pretty fast.

+1

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - OMJ - 09-21-2019

Yes
Wordcount

RE: AleksAdamska's Mentor Application - Tribaja - 09-24-2019

Yes for Ella, always a good cop when I run into her and never had a bad interaction plus seen them helping players a lot as well.