Goonstation Forums
Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze (/showthread.php?tid=12648)

Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze - Veilivel - 07-27-2019

I'm not sure if I should even post this since I can't begin to imagine how it'd be replicated.  Tonight, I joined a round late as an engineer on Cogmap 1, around ten minutes into the shift.  When I got to the engine, it was on a weak char burn, so I set up the combustion chamber.  At this point I think the computers were already stuck at about 300 kW on the engine output, but I didn't think anything of it since that was pretty much correct, possibly actually higher.  after running the engine for a bit, I got ready to turn on the PTL.  I also started dumping a plasma canister into the hot loop after setting the pump input to 1 on the control computer.  

At this point the power was roughly 50 MW, but I noticed the computers still said it was 300 kW.  When I came into the PTL room, I saw it flicker on and off, since someone had set it to 200 kW input 1 MW output.  When I tried turning the input up to around 40 MW, it stopped charging, despite how the engine output was still rising.  If I turned it down to 300 kW, the total engine output on the computer, it would charge normally.  It seems like its input was limited by what the computers said the output was, and I think the same may be true for the SMESes.  Also it's notable that the power checker on the PDA was completely accurate through this.  

Afterward, I gave up on that, and went to check on the engine.  The power output was starting to fall rapidly, and I had no idea why.  I checked the combustion chamber, and it was still running fine, and all the valves on the hot loop were still open.  Then I noticed that the temperature of the gas in the hot loop was stuck at about 937000 Kelvins, and it didn't fluctuate a single degree.  Since there was no temperature increase, the gas leak killed the engine pretty fast.  The shuttle was called a little later, and when we arrived at CentCom, I checked my PDA one more time and the gas was still stuck at the same temperature at 12 kPa.  

I've never run into this before, so I'm not sure if it's new, or maybe it just happens under very specific circumstances.  I don't know if they were related at all, or if maybe there was just some server lag that caused these issues.  It didn't seem too laggy though, and the two bugs occurred at different times in the shift.  Maybe the Temperature issue was related to my pumping gas in?  Since it happened pretty close to when I hooked up the plasma can.  I don't have a good guess as to the computer bug though, or if was actually a feature and people can tamper with that?

Sorry that this doesn't help much with identifying the origin of the problem, and also if I'm breaking rules since I've only seen this once and don't know how to replicate it.  Thank you for reading!  Also it was Round #76137 on Goon 2 if that's important at all.

RE: Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze - polivilas - 07-28-2019

It happens when pipe runs out of gas. Just stick another can in and it will unfreeze.

RE: Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze - Veilivel - 07-30-2019

While I’m not sure when exactly this happened, it was definitely soon after I stuck another can in the loop and closed the purge valves.  I’m certain there was still gas being pumped in when this happened; I don’t remember if I ever tried putting even more gas in though.  

Since you said it happens when a pipe runs out of gas, I wonder if it could be related to the purge valve being closed by any chance?  I dunno

RE: Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze - ThersitesPorter - 08-05-2019

Did some testing tonight. It definitely seems like its tied to shutting off the purge valve pumps. Engine locked up every time I shut them off, but worked fine whenever I didn't mess with the pump settings at all.

RE: Hotloop Temperature Freeze and Engine Output Freeze - Veilivel - 08-08-2019

(08-05-2019, 11:23 PM)ThersitesPorter Wrote: Did some testing tonight. It definitely seems like its tied to shutting off the purge valve pumps. Engine locked up every time I shut them off, but worked fine whenever I didn't mess with the pump settings at all.

Thanks, I remember you mentioning it over the radio one round, and it's consistent with what I've seen.  I'm curious why it happens.