Goonstation Forums
Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors (/showthread.php?tid=11425)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Flaborized - 01-11-2019

I bounced this idea around in Discord a bit, and I like it enough to post it here. There should be an application delay on medical patches if the person applying the patch doesn't have the medical training trait. 

Reasons this is a good idea:
-It makes doctors more useful as they can heal much more effectively than not-doctors, leading to situations where you'd rather have a doctor heal you when you could easily heal yourself. Access is supposed to cause this, but doesn't succeed because medical supplies is very easy to get littered around the station and sec officers, the upper-heads, detective. and janitor all have nano-med access.

-It significantly reduces the (currently MASSIVE) survivability boost having a single med-kit in your bag gives you, unless you are a doctor. It's very possible to pull out a patch and undo any brute or burn you may have taken in a fight currently, but if there was a delay the other person could run up to you and interrupt you, or take the time to run away or heal for themselves. Overall, it makes using medical gear in combat more of a strategic thing than "pull patch out, press C".

-It makes people who aren't doctors applying patches shady. If a non-doctor begins sticking a "styptic powder" patch onto your arm, you know currently that that patch is not only styptic. If there was a delay, it would be a gamble even if it was a perfectly fine patch. You would have no idea if that scientist is hitting you with silver sulfadiazine or sarin! This would allow for more devious sneaky evil to be done with tainted patches, or might encourage people to only trust doctors healing them. I think either option would be fun.

-It would make patches all around less effective at instantly healing very large amounts of damage unless a doctor was applying them. You wouldn't be able to tank several bullets as an assistant because you grabbed the mini-patch box at roundstart or run through a raging plasma fire as an engineer because you nabbed the burn medkit as an engineer.

I'd like feedback on the validity of the points I have made and also I want to be told why this is a terrible awful idea. I'm sure this idea wouldn't be very popular but I legitimately think it would be a large improvement that would have several interesting and fun gameplay implications.  a fancy greater domestic space-bee

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Flourish - 01-11-2019

I think it would be really interesting to see this implemented! How long of a delay would we be talking?

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Flaborized - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 08:33 PM)Flourish Wrote: I think it would be really interesting to see this implemented! How long of a delay would we be talking?

Ideally something like what the current delay is for non-medical patches or pills.

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Technature - 01-12-2019

This is good.

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Prichard - 01-12-2019

Would there be any way for the hop to job transition someone to a doctor?

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Lady Birb - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 02:38 AM)Prichard Wrote: Would there be any way for the hop  to job transition someone to a doctor?

If I recall correctly, roundstart Doctors, Geneticists, Roboticists, and the Medical Director all get a "medical training" trait that lets them preform certain actions faster and reduces the fuckup chance during surgery. This would probably be an effect added to medical training.

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - NateTheSquid - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 02:51 AM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 02:38 AM)Prichard Wrote: Would there be any way for the hop  to job transition someone to a doctor?

If I recall correctly, roundstart Doctors, Geneticists, Roboticists, and the Medical Director all get a "medical training" trait that lets them preform certain actions faster and reduces the fuckup chance during surgery. This would probably be an effect added to medical training.

the training was in fact mentioned in the first sentence of the OP. however yes maybe there should be a way to gain medical training, perhaps using a certain amount of medical equipment gives you the training? like using 15 patches or something

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Technature - 01-12-2019

Nah, that seems exploitable. Once people figure it out, they just put 15 patches on themselves before going on a rampage.
Maybe an implant of some sort? Could be a few in the medical director's locker or something so medbay can't just be raided by any asshole who doesn't have free all access for the round.

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - cyberTripping - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 03:28 AM)Technature Wrote: Nah, that seems exploitable.  Once people figure it out, they just put 15 patches on themselves before going on a rampage.
Maybe an implant of some sort?  Could be a few in the medical director's locker or something so medbay can't just be raided by any asshole who doesn't have free all access for the round.

I was thinking something comparable to a sleeper, where the general idea is that you get inside and have someone with medical access turn it on, and it downloads years of med school into your brain over the course of a minute or so.

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - NateTheSquid - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 03:32 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: I was thinking something comparable to a sleeper, where the general idea is that you get inside and have someone with medical access turn it on, and it downloads years of med school into your brain over the course of a minute or so.

maybe you could modify the brain swap machine from the void to duplicate someone's medical knowledge. or yeah just a sleeper kind of thing

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Sov - 01-12-2019

(01-11-2019, 08:18 PM)Flaborized Wrote: -It makes people who aren't doctors applying patches shady. If a non-doctor begins sticking a "styptic powder" patch onto your arm, you know currently that that patch is not only styptic. If there was a delay, it would be a gamble even if it was a perfectly fine patch. You would have no idea if that scientist is hitting you with silver sulfadiazine or sarin! This would allow for more devious sneaky evil to be done with tainted patches, or might encourage people to only trust doctors healing them. I think either option would be fun.

Best reason

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - MrMagolor - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 02:51 AM)Lord Birb Wrote:

Do geneticists actually get Medical Training? Sometimes I think I've messed up on surgery as a roundstart geneticist.

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Prichard - 01-12-2019

Haha what if the medical training trait was tied to the crew manifest

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Wisecrack34 - 01-12-2019

I like the idea of implants giving you medical training, kinda like how Prey (2017) has that thing you stab in your eye to get training in literally anything

RE: Medical patch should have an application delay for non-doctors - Adhara In Space - 01-12-2019

(01-12-2019, 08:12 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I like the idea of implants giving you medical training, kinda like how Prey (2017) has that thing you stab in your eye to get training in literally anything

lets shake things up
like old times