Goonstation Forums
[Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Patches (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! (/showthread.php?tid=11377)

Pages: 1 2

[Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - qwertyquerty - 12-27-2018

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/pull/97

This patch allows you to hold some certain items in your mouth, but while they are there, you'll speech will be messed up. Useful for things like hacking, or if you need a place to put a screwdriver for a second but don't want to drop it, etc.

Just a few of the items you can hold in your mouth: Pens (And all subtypes like pencils, markers, etc.), Screwdrivers, Scalpels (ick), Wrenches, (and many more!!)

Fully bugtested.

Example:

[Image: sJjSIGn.png]
[Image: DKOUoPy.png]
[Image: ivhxewJ.png]

Also, thanks to InternetDweller for helping me make the speech changing code, by disinfecting a screwdriver, putting it in his mouth, and trying to say things, then recording them and analyzing the audio to see good changes.

Might make a followup patch a long time later adding in-mouth sprite for all of these (but probably not)

They WILL show up upon examining.

Just imagine handcuffing someone then forcing a screwdriver in their mouth...

You can't put any powerful-items (stunbaton/flash) in your mouth keeping it balanced.

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Spoodle - 12-27-2018

Seems like a good patch!

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - qwertyquerty - 12-27-2018

UPDATE:

- Added equippable flags (per mbc and somepotato's request)
- Moved the muffled voice over to a flag
- Added exceptions in can_equip for each of the equippable flags
- Tested everything, works!

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Recusor - 12-28-2018

Amazing work. Just to put it out there, scalpels can be powerful if dipped in chemicals. It might be interesting if there was a chance of cutting yourself and delivering the chemical payload if you put a scalpel in your mouth specifically? maybe 15-30%?

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - MrMagolor - 01-02-2019

You should be able to hold a toolbox/briefcase in your mouth at the cost of decreased speed in addition to the muffled speech.

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Frank_Stein - 01-02-2019

If something is kept in the mouth long enough, it should get an adgetive like "Lightly nibbled" "Slightly chewed" or "Greatly gnawed"

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Superlagg - 01-03-2019

Holding things in your mouth as a dog should make the item "slobbery".

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - qwertyquerty - 01-04-2019

(01-03-2019, 05:59 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Holding things in your mouth as a dog should make the item "slobbery".

I think I'd get fried if I tried to add another item flag. However items that can have reagents on them, I could possibly add some sort of slob reagent to them. I would have to toy around with it a bit.

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - warcrimes - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 06:54 AM)qwertyquerty Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 05:59 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Holding things in your mouth as a dog should make the item "slobbery".

I think I'd get fried if I tried to add another item flag. However items that can have reagents on them, I could possibly add some sort of slob reagent to them. I would have to toy around with it a bit.

slobber & drool reagents wouldn't be a bad idea, seeing as there's involuntary emotes that mention you drooling on yourself. Sounds like its own separate update tho

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - qwertyquerty - 01-04-2019

(01-02-2019, 10:28 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If something is kept in the mouth long enough, it should get an adgetive like "Lightly nibbled" "Slightly chewed" or "Greatly gnawed"

You throw the lightly nibbled slightly chewed moderately gnawed slightly nibbled lightly gnawed greatly chewed slightly gnawed screwdriver at the floor!

(01-04-2019, 06:57 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 06:54 AM)qwertyquerty Wrote:

slobber & drool reagents wouldn't be a bad idea, seeing as there's involuntary emotes that mention you drooling on yourself. Sounds like its own separate update tho

I might do this in a followup update then.

You take a sip of the drool!

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Erev - 01-07-2019

Is it set up so that you can spit them out? Otherwise remove arms, remove legs, remove headset, place wrench in mouth and suddenly a vampire has a round-long bloodsack and, presumably, a fairly unhappy player.

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Triacontakai - 01-07-2019

Making it so that the resist verb spits out the item after a few seconds seems like it would be good

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - kyle2143 - 01-07-2019

(01-07-2019, 08:49 AM)Erev Wrote: Is it set up so that you can spit them out? Otherwise remove arms, remove legs, remove headset, place wrench in mouth and suddenly a vampire has a round-long bloodsack and, presumably, a fairly unhappy player.

The same effect can currently be created with using a muzzle. And that I don't think has ever happened to anyonr with any regularity. I think this is probably a non-issue for this patch.

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - cyberTripping - 01-07-2019

(01-07-2019, 09:48 AM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(01-07-2019, 08:49 AM)Erev Wrote: Is it set up so that you can spit them out? Otherwise remove arms, remove legs, remove headset, place wrench in mouth and suddenly a vampire has a round-long bloodsack and, presumably, a fairly unhappy player.

The same effect can currently be created with using a muzzle. And that I don't think has ever happened to anyonr with any regularity. I think this is probably a non-issue for this patch.

True, but muzzles are specific items you get from specific sources, and outside of geneticists and doctors im guessing many people forget they exist. This seems to turn many common small items into something similar. I think a more applicable example could be getting cuffed and having a screwdriver stuck in your mouth. Simple, but still makes it impossible to talk over your comms until you resist for a solid 40 seconds to uncuff yourself, when realistically you could just spit the object out.

Actually, on that last point, being able to spit items out would probably also make rp1 nerds happy

RE: [Feature] holding certain small tools/items in your mouth! - Superlagg - 01-07-2019

That's way too much effort to ruin someone's round, one that's easily fixed by succumbing between feedings. Could get the same results by just nuking them with neurotoxin.

Plus you could just ask someone to be your bloodbag and chances are they'll let you if they're decent enough. And you promise not to kill them.