Goonstation Forums
[Feature] New cloning modules - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Patches (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Forum: Implemented (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: [Feature] New cloning modules (/showthread.php?tid=11027)

Pages: 1 2

[Feature] New cloning modules - Firebarrage - 08-31-2018

Hi all,

This is a patch that expands some of the things you can do with cloning. It includes several new cloning-related items, including one new traitor item. Also includes some great new sprites from Eibel!

Summary of changes:

Speed module (SpeedyClone2000) - Doubles cloning speed, but you use 150% of the usual biomatter per clone. Found via QM traders.

Efficiency module (Biomatter recycling unit) - The cloning pod will use 50% of the normal biomatter per clone. Found via QM traders.

DNA Injector Module - Insert a DNA injector and then install into the cloning computer. All clones that come out of the linked pod will have the relevant mutation. Found via QM traders.

Mindwipe module - A hidden module that has the potential to give traitorous crewmembers a new outlook on life. Youll have to explore to find this one.

Mindslave module - A new traitor item, costs 7TC. Add this to a cloning pod and anyone cloned will be your loyal mindslave. This is a VERY obvious process - you may want to build a secret cloning lab lest you get discovered immediately!

[Image: ahkWI21.gif]

PR: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/pull/76

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Stryxic - 08-31-2018

The Mindslave module - Is it a traitor item for all medical personal, or just doctors? I really like the idea of it. It might even be worth ambushing sec, killing them, then stealing their cloning disks to have yourself a force of mindslaved security, assuming it's a permanent thing.

I'm always a fan of ways that antags can include others in their round (I.e. hive mind or mindslaving) so it's a great idea in my opinion.

On the subject of the other modules, can they be removed? How about the DNA injector being swapped out? I can see particularly rude traitors sticking something in like reinforced radioactivity or other harmful mutation.

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Firebarrage - 08-31-2018

(08-31-2018, 05:22 PM)Stryxic Wrote: The Mindslave module - Is it a traitor item for all medical personal, or just doctors? I really like the idea of it. It might even be worth ambushing sec, killing them, then stealing their cloning disks to have yourself a force of mindslaved security, assuming it's a permanent thing.

I'm always a fan of ways that antags can include others in their round (I.e. hive mind or mindslaving) so it's a great idea in my opinion.

On the subject of the other modules, can they be removed? How about the DNA injector being swapped out? I can see particularly rude traitors sticking something in like reinforced radioactivity or other harmful mutation.

The mindslave module is a geneticist-only traitor item. I didn't think about using sec's cloning disks. That is devious. I love it.

Module removal - yes. Use a screwdriver on the pod. Replacing the DNA injector module requires you to insert a new module. Doing this changes the mutation to the new one (i.e., each one is single-use). The mindslave module can also be screwdrivered off. Doing this causes it to self-destruct.

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - New525 - 08-31-2018

This is sweet!

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Technature - 08-31-2018

DNA Injector Module
Does this have the same personal stability issues as being injected with the gene per normal injection?

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Firebarrage - 09-01-2018

(08-31-2018, 11:48 PM)Technature Wrote: DNA Injector Module
Does this have the same personal stability issues as being injected with the gene per normal injection?

Yes

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - MrMagolor - 09-02-2018

(08-31-2018, 05:33 PM)Firebarrage Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 05:22 PM)Stryxic Wrote: The Mindslave module - Is it a traitor item for all medical personal, or just doctors? I really like the idea of it. It might even be worth ambushing sec, killing them, then stealing their cloning disks to have yourself a force of mindslaved security, assuming it's a permanent thing.

The mindslave module is a geneticist-only traitor item. I didn't think about using sec's cloning disks. That is devious. I love it.

Module removal - yes. Use a screwdriver on the pod. Replacing the DNA injector module requires you to insert a new module. Doing this changes the mutation to the new one (i.e., each one is single-use). The mindslave module can also be screwdrivered off. Doing this causes it to self-destruct.

Honestly, given the whole secret cloning-setup-in-maint thing, maybe it would make sense to also be a mechanic thing?

(09-01-2018, 08:03 AM)Firebarrage Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 11:48 PM)Technature Wrote: DNA Injector Module

Yes

Chromosomes will still work with these injectors, yes?

Also, a thought: maybe the injector module should work like a hypospray, with only dangerous mutations being admitted if its emagged.

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Firebarrage - 09-02-2018

After chatting a bit on discord we thought that mechanics should not get this item. 

Yes, it should work with chromosomes.

I'm actually fine with it giving dangerous mutations because 1. I dont see that happening too much and 2. They can be easily removed

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Stryxic - 09-02-2018

Unless they stick in a reinforced radioactivity DNA injector.

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Technature - 09-02-2018

Then bug somebody to stay in genetics to remove mutations from any poor bastard that comes out.

Preferably someone given radiation resistance.

(09-02-2018, 09:59 AM)Technature Wrote: Then bug somebody to stay in genetics to remove mutations from any poor bastard that comes out.

Preferably someone given radiation resistance.

Or just screwdriver the console to remove it

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - MrMagolor - 09-02-2018

Would giving people bad mutations via cloning i.e. the example of reinforced radioactive as a non-antagonist be ahelpable? I imagine it would be.

(09-02-2018, 02:57 PM)MrMagolor Wrote: Would giving people bad mutations via cloning i.e. the example of reinforced radioactive as a non-antagonist be ahelpable? I imagine it would be.

I'm not an admin, but this is functionally the same as injecting someone the old fashioned way. I would assume anything that is illegal now is illegal with this as well.

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Recusor - 09-04-2018

This is so, so cool. That sprite is fucking awesome too. Does it make a red light, similar to the AI light? In that it can show a bit through walls etc. making it harder to hide in a secret area?

RE: [Feature] New cloning modules - Firebarrage - 09-04-2018

No red light, unfortunately. But come on now, we dont want to make it so difficult it never gets used!