Goonstation Forums
Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Mapping (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout (/showthread.php?tid=10731)

Pages: 1 2

Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Kubius - 06-26-2018

Basically what the title says. I have an idea for a map called "Venice" where the central premise is that the main hallway has a pod highway integrated right into it; my problem is that I have no idea what to put where, so I'm looking for ideas from the community in visual form. Any level of detail is welcome, but having departments and rough maintenance/halls laid out in the sketch would be preferable.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - warcrimes - 06-26-2018

you talkin vacuum hallway, or pod floor hallway ?

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Frank_Stein - 06-26-2018

I'd make pod hallway the fastest, most direct way to get to where you want to go, while making the foot traffic hallways a lot more narrow and twisty and involve cutting though other departments.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Kubius - 06-26-2018

(06-26-2018, 08:18 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: you talkin vacuum hallway, or pod floor hallway ?

Pod-floor hallway.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - warcrimes - 06-26-2018

(06-26-2018, 10:54 AM)Kubius Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 08:18 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: you talkin vacuum hallway, or pod floor hallway ?

Pod-floor hallway.

A Pope culture icon. A Pope culture icon. A Pope culture icon.
PODS IN THE HALLS THIS IS THE FUTURE

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - kyle2143 - 06-26-2018

[Image: dSWptkS.jpg]

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Frank_Stein - 06-26-2018

I'm working on something, but just wanted to share a few design ideas I'm going to try to incorporate
  • "The Loop" A big ole multilane highway designed to be the main transit track that you can quickly get on and off at the district you want. It loops around and has a few key exit points
  • Districts - Trying to block off the main departments into zones with a central hub. The idea is you take an exit off the loop into a district, then disembark in a designated parking area for foot traffic. Some districts like the Civilian area favor foot traffic
  • Parking lots - Areas to stash your pod at when you're visiting a department or district
  • Roundabouts - I just think they're neat and wanna stick at least one somewhere
  • Traffic shutters -  Shutters that open and close traffic lanes to let people through. Alternating timers would be great, but a button you can hit for crossing the street would be fine
  • A kitchen drive through -  For meals on the go
  • Street names - Would be fun to name the hallways the same way you would street names. Electric Avenue. Livingston Drive. Melons Parkway

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Grek - 06-27-2018

[Image: RU6yJG2.png]

The lines with thin baby blue lines would be 4 tile thick pod-friendly zones. The ones in grey and maintenance shafts.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - warcrimes - 06-27-2018

here's an idea i'm sure you've already thought of:
use your cool custom airbridge technology to create crosswalks.
temporarily replace some of the podfloor with steel tile for full safe spessboi crosszones

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - LovelyMimic - 06-27-2018

[Image: zNniw0sr.jpg]I'd go more in-depth with my reasoning here but im violently nauseous right now

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Eibel - 06-27-2018

On mimic's idea I'd switch out medical and chapel, having medical basically shoe-horned into a tiny space makes it very difficult to treat folks and we end up walking all over each other.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - LovelyMimic - 06-27-2018

Oh, yeah, do feel free to switch things around or straight-up delete some of those road/hallways if you end up using that. The main idea behind this was more about how a┗┓shape, with arrivals at one end and escape at the other, might make for a layout of main hallways for a station. The other paths i added kind of last minute without thinking about how boxed in medical would be.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Frank_Stein - 06-28-2018

(06-26-2018, 07:31 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm working on something, but just wanted to share a few design ideas I'm going to try to incorporate
  • "The Loop" A big ole multilane highway designed to be the main transit track that you can quickly get on and off at the district you want. It loops around and has a few key exit points
  • Districts - Trying to block off the main departments into zones with a central hub. The idea is you take an exit off the loop into a district, then disembark in a designated parking area for foot traffic. Some districts like the Civilian area favor foot traffic
  • Parking lots - Areas to stash your pod at when you're visiting a department or district
  • Roundabouts - I just think they're neat and wanna stick at least one somewhere
  • Traffic shutters -  Shutters that open and close traffic lanes to let people through. Alternating timers would be great, but a button you can hit for crossing the street would be fine
  • A kitchen drive through -  For meals on the go
  • Street names - Would be fun to name the hallways the same way you would street names. Electric Avenue. Livingston Drive. Melons Parkway

And here's the rough map. Dark blue is maintenance tunnels/catwalks, dark grey is pod based roads, light grey is foot traffic based.

Definitely forgot rooms, but left some big open areas for filling them in

You'll notice that the roads go through some departments. I figure we can use the pods to do pickups and deliveries, so the roads going through departments are to help facilitate that

[Image: S7mQSeQ.png]

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Technature - 06-29-2018

[Image: tumblr_pb2rpoDmSE1rpf6nso1_540.png]

If you think I did all this for anything other than a shitty meme you have no idea how much effort I am willing to put into wasting time.

RE: Help Doodle a Venice Map Layout - Gannets - 06-29-2018

I kinda wanted to do something to this effect with the new cars mbc/me did.