Goonstation Forums
Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 (/showthread.php?tid=10672)

Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - fosstar - 06-17-2018

I think this would be a cool way to encourage RP and let people talk with the 'mins without it being pray/adminhelp, Example:

Mscott@DWAINE - 07:17 17/06/52: mail --msg “Oh god a terrorist is blowing stuff up please send help” [email protected]

Broadcast Message from mailalert@DWAINE:You have unread messages

Mscott@DWAINE - 07:17 17/06/52: mail *

Mail version SMI 24.1-OWV3 Sun Jun 17 07:17:24 GMT 2056  Type ? for help.
 "/usr/spool/mail/centcomm": 1 message 1 new
     1 mscott       Jun Jun 17 07:17 "Get security to do their job"

Or something to that sort idk but i think it would be cool.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - kyle2143 - 06-17-2018

But admins are space-gods. The people at Centcom are just other humans that work for nanotrasen.

We should have players running on a z level you can't reach with player bureaucrats running centcom. Filing reports, making spreadsheets, and having conference calls. They can answer that email.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Technature - 06-17-2018

(06-17-2018, 11:18 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: But admins are space-gods. The people at Centcom are just other humans that work for nanotrasen.

We should have players running on a z level you can't reach with player bureaucrats running centcom. Filing reports, making spreadsheets, and having conference calls. They can answer that email.

I think this would be good if it was a ghost option, kinda like what some of the other servers do?

Maybe give them cameras so that if shit hits the fan, they can confirm and call the shuttle themselves in case the station is lacking anything willing or able to.

Let them have cameras to watch shit hit the fan too.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - John_bigless - 06-18-2018

(06-17-2018, 12:20 PM)Technature Wrote:
(06-17-2018, 11:18 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: But admins are space-gods. The people at Centcom are just other humans that work for nanotrasen.

I think this would be good if it was a ghost option, kinda like what some of the other servers do?

Maybe give them cameras so that if shit hits the fan, they can confirm and call the shuttle themselves in case the station is lacking anything willing or able to.

How about if someone on the RP server dies with no option of revival, how about they "switch character" and become a Nanotrasen Official?

Just realized that this could cause metagaming, nevermind.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - warcrimes - 06-18-2018

(06-18-2018, 04:40 AM)John_bigless Wrote:

How about if someone on the RP server dies with no option of revival, how about they "switch character" and become a Nanotrasen Official?

It would allow metagaming on Goon2, but you're talking about RP1 which is already slathered in good faith trust exercises and a "fun first, winning later" mentality (we hope). 
I think of all the places to add a new interactive observer role, that's gonna be the best.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - John_bigless - 06-20-2018

(06-18-2018, 09:04 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:

It would allow metagaming on Goon2, but you're talking about RP1 which is already slathered in good faith trust exercises and a "fun first, winning later" mentality (we hope). 
I think of all the places to add a new interactive observer role, that's gonna be the best.
Application only Centcom official role? I can't think of a purpose however.
Declining the self destruct sequence?
Recalling the shuttle autocall?

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Wisecrack34 - 06-20-2018

I like the ghost idea, perhaps just role-ban it if people start meta-gaming and let em goof off at centcomm

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Frank_Stein - 06-20-2018

I mean, if ghosts are gonna act as Centcom, they ought to be bogged down with bureaucracy and have to vote for everything

60% majority in favor of to take action on requests

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - warcrimes - 06-21-2018

(06-20-2018, 06:10 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I mean, if ghosts are gonna act as Centcom, they ought to be bogged down with bureaucracy and have to vote for everything

Make it 2/3rds majority with 2/3rd Quorum and you've got the makings for a parliamentary deadlock!

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Recusor - 06-21-2018

(06-20-2018, 05:59 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I like the ghost idea, perhaps just role-ban it if people start meta-gaming and let em goof off at centcomm

Worst case if meta ends up being a regular issue and if the role is popular enough maybe another whitelist with an application process like HoS could be added. This sounds like a fun idea, it would be interesting to see how it would play out.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Frank_Stein - 06-21-2018

(06-21-2018, 06:09 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 06:10 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I mean, if ghosts are gonna act as Centcom, they ought to be bogged down with bureaucracy and have to vote for everything

Make it 2/3rds majority with 2/3rd Quorum and you've got the makings for a parliamentary deadlock!

Make a Centcom tab that has a few actions for carrying out procedure
  • Declaring present: Announces you're there and makes you eligible to vote
  • Present a motion: Let's you propose an action to be carried out. Action must be voted on first to be presented, then again to pass
  • Vote Aye: Vote yes on a motion
  • Vote Nay: Vote no on a motion
  • Nominate: A special motion that picks a person to actually carry out motions that have passed, giving them additional admin like tools to do things like call and recall the shuttle

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - atomic1fire - 06-21-2018

Not if the person doing the support call is instructed to pretend as if they're a support line person and do the bare minimum to send backup to the station, and they have buttons that only activate after crappier buttons have been pressed with a cooldown in order of least to most useful.

"Best I can do right now for your murderer problem right now is I can send you a single meatball"

"Can I speak to your supervisor"

"uh he's conveniently gone"

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Technature - 06-22-2018

(06-21-2018, 04:10 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:

Not if the person doing the support call is instructed to pretend as if they're a support line person and do the bare minimum to send backup to the station, and they have buttons that only activate after crappier buttons have been pressed with a cooldown in order of least to most useful.

"Best I can do right now for your murderer problem right now is I can send you a single meatball"

Legitimately talking, I will start frequenting Goon 1 if I can do this.

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - Flourish - 06-22-2018

(06-21-2018, 04:10 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Not if the person doing the support call is instructed to pretend as if they're a support line person and do the bare minimum to send backup to the station, and they have buttons that only activate after crappier buttons have been pressed with a cooldown in order of least to most useful.

That sounds amazing. What if it were some random off-Earth corporation that Centcom offloaded all their employee service calls to?

RE: Make it so the CENTCOMM terminal in the bridge lets you contact centcomm on 1 - warcrimes - 06-22-2018

(06-22-2018, 02:14 AM)Flourish Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 04:10 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Not if the person doing the support call is instructed to pretend as if they're a support line person and do the bare minimum to send backup to the station, and they have buttons that only activate after crappier buttons have been pressed with a cooldown in order of least to most useful.

That sounds amazing. What if it were some random off-Earth corporation that Centcom offloaded all their employee service calls to?

Space Tech Support Call Center, located in beautiful tropical Space Detroit, staffed exclusively by genetically-humanized monkeys.