Goonstation Forums
Changes to flash - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Changes to flash (/showthread.php?tid=10476)

Pages: 1 2 3

Changes to flash - Frank_Stein - 05-11-2018

It's always bothered me that this is a relatively common item that can easily stun you long enough to be killed unless you're wearing shades

I was wondering if maybe it should be nerfed a bit? Instead of a full stun, it temporarily slows the target while giving them the item drop status. Sorta more like what it's like after being hit with a few taser shots.

So it's not completely debilitating, but still gives you and advantage

RE: Changes to flash - Vitatroll - 05-11-2018

Sounds alright; stuns are OP. Temporary blindness is also an option. That said, I never really had a problem with flashes, but that's mostly because I run away from, like, everything.

RE: Changes to flash - LuigiThirty - 05-12-2018

I agree with slow + temporary blindness + oops you dropped your items. Flashes are common enough and death swift enough that I’d be fine with someone needing a taser (a harder to come by item that’s still available to sec or heads) to actually stun you. Flash should be for when you need someone to stop what they’re doing now.

RE: Changes to flash - Ed Venture - 05-12-2018

I think item dropping is completely awful and unneeded. I really hate that stun weapons just equal a instant win in most cases because you either can't move or cant defend yourself. It's awful balancing and either makes players use nothing but stuns in combat, or use nothing but chems or lastly never try to get better at combat at all cause why bother? One click and you lost in most cases. It's really off pointing and is the reason lots of players today say the combat is shit. But when you strip chems and stuns from your arsenal and just use melee in a equal fight it's so much fun and satisfying.

Yes, I am aware that being good at movement is a counter to stuns. Movement is my number one weapon in a fight. But that's just for me. Not everyone can do what I can as I've had almost a decade of playtime to learn and master the combat in this game.

I do not see how impeding someone's movement and taking away their ability to defend themselves as a nerf. It sounds just as bad as a full on stun to me.

RE: Changes to flash - babayetu83 - 05-12-2018

more counterplay is good but i think so that flashes don't become worthless it'd be interesting for their effect to become graduating

ie flash someone once and their movespeed goes down, blinded but not stunned
flashed twice, movement speed dropped even lower, item dropping
flashed thrice and you go down

RE: Changes to flash - poland spring - 05-12-2018

I vote in favor of graduated stuns. Means you get two full stuns per flash max and you gotta earn em

RE: Changes to flash - Ed Venture - 05-12-2018

(05-12-2018, 08:53 AM)poland spring Wrote: I vote in favor of graduated stuns. Means you get two full stuns per flash max and you gotta earn em

I like this or make it so the bulb breaks faster.

RE: Changes to flash - Lady Birb - 05-12-2018

As long as flash/cell assemblies still instastun and set people on fire I am good.

RE: Changes to flash - Noah Buttes - 05-12-2018

Personally, I'd be in favor of flashes being removed entirely so I can finally wear something other than sunglasses in the eyewear slot.

RE: Changes to flash - Frank_Stein - 05-12-2018

(05-12-2018, 01:11 AM)Ed Venture Wrote: I think item dropping is completely awful and unneeded. I really hate that stun weapons just equal a instant win in most cases because you either can't move or cant defend yourself. It's awful balancing and either makes players use nothing but stuns in combat, or use nothing but chems or lastly never try to get better at combat at all cause why bother? One click and you lost in most cases. It's really off pointing and is the reason lots of players today say the combat is shit. But when you strip chems and stuns from your arsenal and just use melee in a equal fight it's so much fun and satisfying.

Yes, I am aware that being good at movement is a counter to stuns. Movement is my number one weapon in a fight. But that's just for me. Not everyone can do what I can as I've had almost a decade of playtime to learn and master the combat in this game.

I do not see how impeding someone's movement and taking away their ability to defend themselves as a nerf. It sounds just as bad as a full on stun to me.

I'm generally not a fan of the instant stun either

Sec's tasers are at a decent place, and stun batons aren't too bad since they're so large and carry a greater risk

It's the flash that's just a bit too common, and not as noticable in someone's hand

I figured, it's still a valued Sec tool because it's low risk and Sec tools generally make you drop items so the person doesn't shoot you or something

I can concede that item dropping is probably not needed since Sec do have batons and a taser, but it does need to debiltate the target somehow for the average person. Slowed movement allows a person to use it to either get an advantage in a fight or to run away, so I think that's valuable.

Graduated stuns are nice though

RE: Changes to flash - Frank_Stein - 05-12-2018

(05-12-2018, 08:59 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: As long as flash/cell assemblies still instastun and set people on fire I am good.

Oh yeah. Honestly, we need jerry rigged  items like that made from sticking junk together

RE: Changes to flash - LuigiThirty - 05-13-2018

Oh yeah, I forgot about batons. Just make the flash do some wacky slow/blind and force people to find a baton (or improvised weapon) if they want to stun someone.

RE: Changes to flash - poland spring - 05-13-2018

You can use it for an area of effect slow or take a couple seconds to aim it in someones eyes to blind them temporarily

RE: Changes to flash - MrMagolor - 05-14-2018

If they make sunglasses less easy to get then sure the flash should be nerfed.

Maybe it should be changed to just confuse for longer, or make it mess up your HUD.

RE: Changes to flash - Xeram - 05-14-2018

Unless there's going to be changes to in general how fast people are able to move around the station I think we need to stop persecuting things for being able to stun people, seeing as it is downright near impossible to kill someone who is so much as moving around with a melee weapon unless said weapon either, of course, stuns them or does enough damage to only need one good hit.

Like if you changed the flash to do anything besides stun your target, I'd just punch them instead because it takes like 2/3 punches on average to put someone in a completely helpless state while doing damage on top of it unless you're punching a security officer and even then you still might be able to knock them out if you get a crit or 2.