Goonstation Forums
Hypervigilant crewmembers - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Hypervigilant crewmembers (/showthread.php?tid=10069)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hypervigilant crewmembers - Moon Jesus - 02-26-2018

Hopefully people can relate to this.

You're a mechanic, you roll antag, as you beging assembling your teleporter trap of swirling doom, no more than 5 minutes into the round, Nerd Nerdington spots you and immediately raises the alarm. 

Or maybe not. Maybe he just stalks you for most of the round, follows you back to engineering as you attempt to look normal. The fact is your round is already ruined because this guy is on you like a tick on a hound dog. 

The very second you do anything he, and the entire crew, and the constantly-tracking all-seeing AI will be on you and your round will go from a carefully planned one to a round spent running all over the Z-levels to get away, most likely being forced to kill everyone you see.

Obviously this happened to me recently or I wouldn't be posting about it. At some point in this server's history, this wasn't typical. There was a mindset among general players that antags are meant to do something hilarious and should be given a chance. A select amount of crew and even sec feel this way and won't immediately apprehend antags. However I'm seeing a growing number of players who feel animosity toward antags and actively go after them any chance they can get. And I feel like this is only going to get worse over time. 

***OPINION ALERT !!!!!!! WEE WOO !11***
It seems to me like the server won't be far away from becoming like the ones that run /tg/ code. Soon antags themselves will have rules imposed on them. Security will have one-shot tasers, and armor that absorbs lasers. I hope i'm wrong.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - TheTrixRabitt - 02-26-2018

Vigilantes and crew paranoia is an unceremonious crew tradition. Of course that doesn't make it any less shitty. Honestly there wouldn't be many ways to dissuade this behaviour either. It's ridiculous, yeah, but it's mostly harmless until either Sec arrests you or they just straight up harm you.

Getting caught extremely early on in a round, or dying to antag early on (3 deaths within two minutes for me big grin) is just as frustrating. However there isn't much to do, I think most people would agree with me when I say it's just an unwritten rule to not call someone out or kill them until 20 minutes in, unless you're a Syndie or Wizman.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Maegor - 02-26-2018

(02-26-2018, 05:29 PM)Moon Jesus Wrote: You're a mechanic, you roll antag, as you beging assembling your teleporter trap of swirling doom, no more than 5 minutes into the round, Nerd Nerdington spots you and immediately raises the alarm. 
I particularly despise teleporter traps, so I report them whener I see them, but you can always bluff your way out or put the swirling doom part somewhere they won't go.
(02-26-2018, 05:29 PM)Moon Jesus Wrote: Or maybe not. Maybe he just stalks you for most of the round, follows you back to engineering as you attempt to look normal. The fact is your round is already ruined because this guy is on you like a tick on a hound dog. 
Why don't you set up an ambush and kill him? Or maybe just flee in a pod which is an easy way of fleeing? If he keeps following you, most people won't mind if give him a beating

(02-26-2018, 05:29 PM)Moon Jesus Wrote: The very second you do anything he, and the entire crew, and the constantly-tracking all-seeing AI will be on you and your round will go from a carefully planned one to a round spent running all over the Z-levels to get away, most likely being forced to kill everyone you see.
You can easily cut AI cameras, as a frequent AI I usually track whoever is talking on the radio so keeping quiet while doing your shady business may help. And whether the entire crew will be against you is dependent on how obvious you are and how good are you with bluffing. And if your plan didn't account for being discovered it isn't a good one.

(02-26-2018, 05:29 PM)Moon Jesus Wrote: Obviously this happened to me recently or I wouldn't be posting about it. At some point in this server's history, this wasn't typical. There was a mindset among general players that antags are meant to do something hilarious and should be given a chance. A select amount of crew and even sec feel this way and won't immediately apprehend antags. However I'm seeing a growing number of players who feel animosity toward antags and actively go after them any chance they can get. And I feel like this is only going to get worse over time. 
Validhunting is really annoying and shitty.
(02-26-2018, 05:29 PM)Moon Jesus Wrote: ***OPINION ALERT !!!!!!! WEE WOO !11***
It seems to me like the server won't be far away from becoming like the ones that run /tg/ code. Soon antags themselves will have rules imposed on them. Security will have one-shot tasers, and armor that absorbs lasers. I hope i'm wrong.
Did you spill space lube on that slope? Because where does "people valid hunting and making traitor hard" go to "antags need rules and sec gear needs to be buffed".

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - fosstar - 02-26-2018

I can see this thread going nowhere but good places

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Vitatroll - 02-26-2018

I generally ignore someone for 15-20 minutes unless they're doing something incredibly bland or OP.

Y'see, I get your argument. We did give a grace period for antags. Most of the regs still do, really. I just don't understand why you're trying to act like TP traps are fun. Did you have a gimmick attached? Most TP traps are just no-effort bs aimed towards silently taking out large portions of the crew, indiscriminately. Sorta like an automated, even more boring version of silent murderers.

Lots of people have great aversion to them and will fuck up your shit for even trying that route.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Roomba - 02-26-2018

(05-23-2017, 01:08 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Not even a month ago I was seeing players on these very forums saying "I want Security to crack down on antags and I want antags to get real punishment for getting caught like in the old days" I've come to the conclusion that nobody know what they want.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - NateTheSquid - 02-27-2018

(02-26-2018, 07:12 PM)fosstar Wrote: I can see this thread going nowhere but good places

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Readster - 02-27-2018

Antags are out to ruin my round by killing me or blowing up the station of course I'm going to ruin their round by raising an alarm.

Also yes nobody knows what they want.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Moon Jesus - 02-27-2018

(02-27-2018, 05:26 AM)Readster Wrote: Antags are out to ruin my round by killing me or blowing up the station of course I'm going to ruin their round by raising an alarm.

This is the exact mindset i'm talking about. It used to be "Antags are going to do something hilarious probably so I'll give them a chance but if they directly attack me then I won't hold back"

Now every traitor or spy might as well be a wizard to most of the people who play here

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Grek - 02-27-2018

Fuck teleporter traps in particular, though.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Mordent - 02-27-2018

(02-27-2018, 07:55 AM)Grek Wrote: Fuck teleporter traps in particular, though.

Yep. Low effort and high lethality is not a "gimmick", it's just being a nerd.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Readster - 02-27-2018

No offense but the crew aren't supposed to just let you do your gimmick because it might be funny. If you want to pull off some great gimmicky whatever you have to earn that. Traitors aren't supposed to be doing some grand big event every round they're supposed to fuck things up and upset the status quo.

I've seen more fun come from an idiot with a pipebomb and a bedsheet than a million teleporter traps.

And honestly if you think "That guy is trying to kill me I should stop him" is a shitty attitude then I don't know what to tell you man.

Also I don't know what you're talking about with this ""Antags are going to do something hilarious probably so I'll give them a chance" stuff because vigilantes have been a problem for as long as I've been playing the game dude. It's actuallly at its best right now we have way less than we used to.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Technature - 02-27-2018

I get where you're coming from.

It sucks when you start a round as an antag and you die less than 5 minutes in.

It sucks when you have an interesting gimmick (or at least think you do) and someone won't stop making it impossible to do it.

It sucks, but you learn to deal with it. You learn to be more subtle, more discreet, learn more places to suddenly lose someone if they won't leave you alone.

This thread is one giant knee jerk reaction. Just do what everyone else has and deal with it.

Also, I have to agree with everyone else, teleport traps are possibly the worst example you could have used, since not does everyone hate them, they're also rather obvious. You'd have to put them in hard to notice places without being called out on it, and that kind of defeats the purpose anyways. Not to mention it's more boring than a C-saber, which...man, that's an accomplishment right there.

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Gannets - 02-27-2018

(02-26-2018, 05:29 PM)Moon Jesus Wrote: ***OPINION ALERT !!!!!!! WEE WOO !11***

oh my god

RE: Hypervigilant crewmembers - Joefesok - 02-27-2018

(02-27-2018, 07:19 AM)Moon  Jesus Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 05:26 AM)Readster Wrote: Antags are out to ruin my round by killing me or blowing up the station of course I'm going to ruin their round by raising an alarm.

This is the exact mindset i'm talking about. It used to be "Antags are going to do something hilarious probably so I'll give them a chance but if they directly attack me then I won't hold back"

Now every traitor or spy might as well be a wizard to most of the people who play here

ah yes the hilarious teleporter trap, a staple of good gimmicks