Goonstation Forums
Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Forum: Bad threads / terrible or unusable ideas! (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Thread: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. (/showthread.php?tid=3682)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - atomic1fire - 12-02-2014

rulib Wrote:This is excessively thought policey, this community takes sexophobia too far sometimes, our roots are in SA.

This is a forum for a server that bans creepy sex things because it keeps the trolls out (ogres are fine).

I agree with removing the emoticons, primarily because anyone who uses them "as a joke" in a post probably wouldn't last long on the server anyway.

You can do whatever you want outside the game, it's just an issue of "why have them if we wouldn't allow it in the game itself"

Then again maybe people think I'm a dumb nerd for thinking that.

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - Klayboxx - 12-02-2014

because just like the irc isn't the videogame neither are the forums

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - Walrus - 12-02-2014

Klayboxx Wrote:because just like the irc isn't the videogame neither are the forums

Wow, the forums and the irc AREN'T the videogame? This is some heavy stuff, man. Never thought I see such deep insight coming out of your mouth. Oh hey, I even responded to a question exactly like this before, this has some weird parallels to the other "creepy" discussion doesn't it?

Walrus Wrote:Why should the forums be exempt from that rule? If there's no sexual content allowed on the server, what possible use would it have on these forums that we use to discuss what happened on the server? They could only exist to bring in more shit we don't want around here.

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - Winklabom - 12-02-2014

This is the Streisand effect at its finest: you guys want the removal of something that nobody even used/knew about and now everyone knows about them/uses them quite heavily.

This was a complete non-issue right up until this thread appeared.

On a completely related note, this was my reaction when I saw this thread:

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - LinkDaWolf - 12-02-2014

people literally arent allowed to use banned language/joke about rape in the forums i thought? so why would sexual stuff be allowed?
shrug

unrelated but was this one mentioned? it's not really ~~sexual~~ i guess but rape jokes are pretty distasteful so
:tvtropes:

Winklabom Wrote:This is the Streisand effect at its finest: you guys want the removal of something that nobody even used/knew about and now everyone knows about them/uses them quite heavily.

Yeah, It's weird how when someone brings an issue to light that people start paying attention to it, isn't it? You'd think that as soon as people start discussing it, it would fade away simply out of principle.

Walrus Wrote:
Winklabom Wrote:This is the Streisand effect at its finest: you guys want the removal of something that nobody even used/knew about and now everyone knows about them/uses them quite heavily.

Yeah, It's weird how when someone brings an issue to light that people start paying attention to it, isn't it? You'd think that as soon as people start discussing it, it would fade away simply out of principle.

Except it wasn't an issue up until everyone was told about the floppy dick emoticons.

Winklabom Wrote:Except it wasn't an issue up until everyone was told about the floppy dick emoticons.

Whether or not people knew about the floppy dick emoticons, they were in direction violation of the rules.

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - Klayboxx - 12-02-2014

lol Walrus you are so snarky, you aren't the master of debate or w/e you think you are

but the reason I bring it up is because the irc doesn't follow the server rules, which poopcrunch even stated himself, ergo, why would the forum either?

Hence why I said what I did

:yosbutt:

you are so funny how much you really care about all of this

Walrus Wrote:
Winklabom Wrote:Except it wasn't an issue up until everyone was told about the floppy dick emoticons.

Whether or not people knew about the floppy dick emoticons, they were in direction violation of the rules.

Well, if we're going for literal interpretations of the rules listed on the Wiki, then you are correct:

Floppy docks violate the "No sexual content" rule

Winklabom Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:

Well, if we're going for literal interpretations of the rules listed on the Wiki, then you are correct:

Floppy docks violate the "No sexual content" rule

Fucking phone posted before I could finish

ALRIGHT

The floppy dicks violate the "No sexual content" rule that is enforced on the SERVERS.

Nowhere in the rules does it say this also applies to IRC/the forums.

Technically speaking, the forums are exempt of those rules.

Klayboxx Wrote:but the reason I bring it up is because the irc doesn't follow the server rules, which poopcrunch even stated himself, ergo, why would the forum either?
Winklabom Wrote:The floppy dicks violate the "No sexual content" rule that is enforced on the SERVERS.

Nowhere in the rules does it say this also applies to IRC/the forums.

Technically speaking, the forums are exempt of those rules.

There's no reason to think that the forums don't follow the server rules, unless an admin weighs in on it of course. Does the forum allow sexual things as it is now? Why would it? Seeing as how the game explicitly has nothing sexual in it you would think that the discussion forum about the game would not allow sexual things either, yes? We already have outlawed bigotry/racism on the forums, which is A Server Rule, is it somehow that big of a leap to assume the rule directly under it applies as well?

Walrus Wrote:We already have outlawed bigotry/racism on the forums, which is A Server Rule, is it somehow that big of a leap to assume the rule directly under it applies as well?

I'd say it is since I can do this:

:dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong:

Re: Remove the creepy/sexual smilies from the forum. - DyssalC - 12-02-2014

I think there needs to be more administrative deliberation about these sort of things, because the community can't seem to discuss these things without turning it into a cycle of yelling at each other. I know this isn't the thread about creepy things in general but that's what this is becoming, and even after that was locked these threads are still appearing, so something definitely needs to be worked out to make these things clearer for everyone so the bickering (on the topic) can end.

Winklabom Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:We already have outlawed bigotry/racism on the forums, which is A Server Rule, is it somehow that big of a leap to assume the rule directly under it applies as well?

I'd say it is since I can do this:

:dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong: :dong:

The only reason the emotes are there in the first place is because they likely copied over the entire suite of emotes from SA.

DyssalC Wrote:I think there needs to be more administrative deliberation about these sort of things, because the community can't seem to discuss these things without turning it into a cycle of yelling at each other. I know this isn't the thread about creepy things in general but that's what this is becoming, and even after that was locked these threads are still appearing, so something definitely needs to be worked out to make these things clearer for everyone so the bickering (on the topic) can end.

Yes, I would greatly appreciate it if a Head Admin or whoever has the authority to make a decision on this would pop in and clarify.