Goonstation Forums
New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations (/showthread.php?tid=10321)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Nnystyxx - 04-20-2018

(04-20-2018, 08:58 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I like the idea about chalk color selection. It could work where not only do you need the words, but the right color.

Chaplain could start with a box with what they need and the book with all the words, but if someone else wanted to cast they'd need to scavange for the right shade of crayon or something

I figure the code for checking the words would just also include the accented versions, but not anything else like stammering or slurring

What do we prefer for incantations?
- Butchered latin?
- Things that look vaguely like words, a la the Wizard (GIFF-ME-BEEZ, KEE-PUH-WAE)?
- Sumerian, for the sol nerds?

Cast your votes now folks!!

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Recusor - 04-20-2018

Increasing the presence of Sumerian sounds awesome

(04-20-2018, 09:04 AM)Recusor Wrote: Increasing the presence of Sumerian sounds awesome

Admittedly, the issue with that is that written Sumerian is pretty heavy on diacritic marks, and I'm surprised those even fuckin work properly coming from the Darkness mobs/etc. That and there's probably tons of concepts it doesn't cover.
Wow actually ignore most of this, it's wrong. Sumerian could work.

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Frank_Stein - 04-20-2018

I personally like the idea of Sumerian for the Sol connection and because lore wise that feels like the source of real magic as opposed to the tech theatrics wizards do

(04-20-2018, 09:18 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I personally like the idea of Sumerian for the Sol connection and because lore wise that feels like the source of real magic as opposed to the tech theatrics wizards do

In that case, here are some relevant ones:

spooky akkadian & other things but mostly not sumerian tome' Wrote:Darkness: ETUTU or ASBU
Light: NURU or IMMARU
Metal: ANBAR
Imprison: ESERU
Soul: SHI
Ghosts: BU'IDU
See: AMARU or NURU
Speak: QABU
Disease: MURSU
Forbidden: IKKIBU
Fire: GIRRU
Food: AKALUM
Gate: BABU
Remove: TEBU
Currency: KASPAM

And so on, from this site:
http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/40_Language/SumerDictionaryEn.htm

EDIT: Avack has told me that this is pretty much not Sumerian!! Look at their post after mine for more, correct details

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Avack - 04-20-2018

(04-20-2018, 09:35 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 09:18 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I personally like the idea of Sumerian for the Sol connection and because lore wise that feels like the source of real magic as opposed to the tech theatrics wizards do

spooky sumerian tome Wrote:[words]

Don't trust that word list. I've seen it around before and most of it is seemingly not Sumerian. Of the list you've provided, the only word I can find in the Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary is "ANBAR". Eleven of them are actually Akkadian, and four are from other sources. While it's true that Akkadian and Sumerian mingled a lot, that doesn't really explain what's going on here.
 Sources:
The Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary, which is a great resource for finding actual Sumerian;
and this Akkadian dictionary.

(04-20-2018, 12:50 PM)Avack Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 09:35 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

spooky sumerian tome Wrote:[words]

Don't trust that word list. I've seen it around before and most of it is seemingly not Sumerian. Of the list you've provided, the only word I can find in the Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary is "ANBAR". Eleven of them are actually Akkadian, and four are from other sources. While it's true that Akkadian and Sumerian mingled a lot, that doesn't really explain what's going on here.
 Sources:
The Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary, which is a great resource for finding actual Sumerian;
and this Akkadian dictionary.

Wow god I was completely wrong, thanks.
That first one does reassert my concern about using Sumerian, because again, accents, diacritic marks, special characters/etc are N O T G R E A T for keyboards/BYOND.

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Avack - 04-20-2018

(04-20-2018, 02:53 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: That first one does reassert my concern about using Sumerian, because again, accents, diacritic marks, special characters/etc are N O T G R E A T for keyboards/BYOND.

It should easy enough to work around. Ĝ can easily become NG, Š to SH, etc.. Any other diacritics are essentially optional and can simply be left out, IIRC.

Edit: I've spent a while poking the ePSD and put together a new version of that word list. I tended towards words with more attestations.

Spooky Sumerian Tome Wrote:Darkness: SUMUG
Light: NGESHNU
Metal: ANTASURA
Imprison: UR
Soul: ME ("Being, divine properties enabling cosmic activity" - seemed appropriate)
Ghosts: GIDIM (May be the singular or plural form, depending on if this counted as animate)
See: IGI GUB (Literally "eye-stand", which I think is neat)
Speak: DUG
Disease: TUR
Forbidden: AZAG
Fire: IZI
Food: NINGGU
Gate: KAN
Remove: BE
Currency: KUGSIG (Gold, the closest I could find)

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Frank_Stein - 04-20-2018

Idea about the incantations: They could include invoking the names of Gods to borrow power. The Gods names would be references to coders and admin handles

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - poland spring - 04-21-2018

I vote whoever comes up for the majority of this idea gets to code it

Yes do this thing

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - atomic1fire - 04-21-2018

Sigil of Caine: Sets people who step on it to arrest.

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Keelin - 04-22-2018

Work is already being done on this.
The framework took a buncha time to do, unfortunately.

I've gone with latin over sumerian because sumerian was too hard to work with.
I couldn't get the words for the meaning i needed frown

It's proving a bit difficult to form one cohesive thing out of all the ideas that are floating around. (Not just in here but on discord as well etc.)
One example being that some people want the symbols to be the main operating mechanic and others incantations. Having both at the same time dictate the logic of things is very hard to do.
Currently it's likely that the symbols will set up the basic spell and then sometimes incantations may be used to adjust the spells ... settings?

Hopefully i can figure something out.

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Gannets - 04-22-2018

It looks really neat too!

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Lady Birb - 04-22-2018

I was thinking that runes would start out inactive when first drawn, and you need the incantation to activate them.

RE: New Chaplain abilities: Sigils and Incantations - Keelin - 04-22-2018

Currently it looks like we'll probably end up with a hybrid system that allows for fixed "spells" and the (currently implemented) system of essentially building your own spells.
It'll probably be like "Does this match a fixed ritual?" "No? okay lets do a freeform spell then"
It's bit hard to explain but i hope i can get people something to play around with soon