Goonstation Forums
Syndicate Borgs at round start - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Syndicate Borgs at round start (/showthread.php?tid=2637)

Pages: 1 2

Syndicate Borgs at round start - Sundance - 06-10-2014

Variety is good. Rogue borgs can be fun.
What is the issue of someone spawning as a syndicate borg at round start instead of a normal borg, and given some interesting objectives to follow?

I can't see any cons to this whatsoever bar the fact that that the AI may notice that antagonist Omicron-43 isn't showing up on the robotic computer, but a simple workaround for this IS for Omicron-43 to show up on the computer, but the kill-switch does absolutely nothing.

So yeah. Vote Yes for Syndicate Borgs at round start.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - LinkDaWolf - 06-10-2014

itd be neat if the killswitch pretended to activate but at the end of the count down it just wouldn't work. would stop people from trying to killswitch all the borgs at round start and yelling that "omg cyborg alpha 231 wont start killswitch kill them now"

then again, i'm not sure how many people WOULD try and run in at round start to do this so it'd probably be ok.

but yeah, i like this idea. more traitor options and more ways to have fun as a borg other than hoping someone gives you a one human law

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Sir Stabby - 06-10-2014

Yes please, borg is my favorite job and I would love to be a proper antagonist like him. Maybe he should get some new borg specific items/modules?

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Sir Stabby - 06-10-2014

Yes please, borg is my favorite job and I would love to be a proper antagonist like him. Maybe he should get some new borg specific items/modules?

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Sundance - 06-10-2014

LinkDaWolf Wrote:itd be neat if the killswitch pretended to activate but at the end of the count down it just wouldn't work. would stop people from trying to killswitch all the borgs at round start and yelling that "omg cyborg alpha 231 wont start killswitch kill them now"

That would be fairly meta, but that's not what I meant by not activating.
I'm talking about where the countdown actually starts, but when it reaches zero, it does nothing and the borg remains on the computer.
Any AI killswitching borgs to find out if they are syndicate could potentially be murdering an innocent borg. Simple solution to the problem.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - LinkDaWolf - 06-10-2014

Sundance Wrote:
LinkDaWolf Wrote:itd be neat if the killswitch pretended to activate but at the end of the count down it just wouldn't work. would stop people from trying to killswitch all the borgs at round start and yelling that "omg cyborg alpha 231 wont start killswitch kill them now"

That would be fairly meta, but that's not what I meant by not activating.
I'm talking about where the countdown actually starts, but when it reaches zero, it does nothing and the borg remains on the computer.
Any AI killswitching borgs to find out if they are syndicate could potentially be murdering an innocent borg. Simple solution to the problem.

ah okay that makes sense yeah

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - atomic1fire - 06-10-2014

My only concern is that Syndicate borgs would be over powered for what they are, and much more likely to rampage on the crew by causing gas leaks or starting fires.

Give them some cool traitor toys and some objectives that aren't boring and good reason not to go crazy go nuts immediately. Something like a chameleon projector disguised as a medical analyzer, when used it can copy someone's identity as a hologram. Everyone sees it but on close interaction it's actually an evil borg.

Maybe give them some fun objectives, like convince the crew to arrest or kill someone. Aid an existing traitor. Sabotage telescience. etc.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Zamujasa - 06-20-2014

atomic1fire Wrote:My only concern is that Syndicate borgs would be over powered for what they are, and much more likely to rampage on the crew by causing gas leaks or starting fires.

Give them some cool traitor toys and some objectives that aren't boring and good reason not to go crazy go nuts immediately. Something like a chameleon projector disguised as a medical analyzer, when used it can copy someone's identity as a hologram. Everyone sees it but on close interaction it's actually an evil borg.

Maybe give them some fun objectives, like convince the crew to arrest or kill someone. Aid an existing traitor. Sabotage telescience. etc.
Round-start borgs are Light versions that you can brain with two or three hits from a fire extinguisher, or even one/two shots from a basic laser gun.

Unless there was a way to fully upgrade a borg like that (you can't switch out the chest, from what I understand) they'll always be comically weak if you can stun them or just land a really good hit on the chest.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Xeram - 06-20-2014

Zamujasa Wrote:Round-start borgs are Light versions that you can brain with two or three hits from a fire extinguisher, or even one/two shots from a basic laser gun.

Unless there was a way to fully upgrade a borg like that (you can't switch out the chest, from what I understand) they'll always be comically weak if you can stun them or just land a really good hit on the chest.

Even a standard borg with a standard head will die in 2 derringer shots (about 200 or so damage right? So maybe 4 ish laser shots) And are rather slow. Not to mention they are permanently weak to flashes, and harmbatons.

That said, god help you if Faff-o-tron is a chemist syndieborg. There will be no survivors.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - APARTHEID - 06-20-2014

Zamujasa Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:My only concern is that Syndicate borgs would be over powered for what they are, and much more likely to rampage on the crew by causing gas leaks or starting fires.

Round-start borgs are Light versions that you can brain with two or three hits from a fire extinguisher, or even one/two shots from a basic laser gun.

Have the Syndieborg turn the tables! Starts out with a bargain mindslave implanter in its Syndicate module, so it can snatch non-antagonists to be its subordinate. Turns the tables a bit for the usually subservient borgs and gives you an implanter to dork around with.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Sundance - 06-26-2014

Tbh, syndicate borgs aren't that overpowered at all. They have alot going against them:
A) They're non-human and can't be arrested, so chances are they'll be killed.
B) A flash stuns them and they have no way of protecting themselves of getting stunlocked.
C) They can be debrained very quickly with the right ID

Remember: Syndicate borgs see everyone as non-human UNLESS they are syndicate. This is an interesting mechanic because that means they CANNOT kill other traitors. With this in mind, traitors and syndicate borgs can find themselves in a very mutual allegiance.
For this matter, syndicate borgs should be able to tell who's syndicate (like wearing sunglasses back in the ol' days)

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - KikiMofo - 06-26-2014

I like syndie borgs but before we make something like round start syndie borgs can we make it so borgs can't stunlock people with sonic and flash powder? That is really strong.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Newt King - 06-27-2014

Sundance Wrote:Tbh, syndicate borgs aren't that overpowered at all. They have alot going against them:
B) A flash stuns them and they have no way of protecting themselves of getting stunlocked.

Remember: Syndicate borgs see everyone as non-human UNLESS they are syndicate. This is an interesting mechanic because that means they CANNOT kill other traitors. With this in mind, traitors and syndicate borgs can find themselves in a very mutual allegiance.
For this matter, syndicate borgs should be able to tell who's syndicate (like wearing sunglasses back in the ol' days)

Syndie borgs actually can do this, they and nuke ops are some of the few who still can see who the traitors are.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - Paineframe - 06-27-2014

Sundance Wrote:Tbh, syndicate borgs aren't that overpowered at all. They have alot going against them:

Syndieborgs can see who traitors are, since otherwise it'd be impossible to carry out their laws. Their effect on inter-traitor relations seems pretty neutral, though - they can't help a traitor kill another traitor, but they can't meaningfully intervene to stop it either. They'll obey any traitor, so there's no need to keep the original builder alive. It's not like a mindslave, who is loyal to ONLY the implanter.

One thing about round-start traitor borgs is that if people see one borg acting rogue, they tend to assume that all the borgs are rogue, which can often have nasty consequences for the other borgs.

Re: Syndicate Borgs at round start - CaptainBravo - 06-27-2014

make the borg's objectives their new laws. if someone spends all round making sonic and flashpowder when their lawjectives say "clone 50 ravenous human eating owls" then just jobban them from borg and antagonist.