Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Port slime raising and such from /tg/code
If it's possible, of course.
As much as I like the slime raising mechanic, we won't port things wholesale from other codebases. We're not open source and we won't be, so taking things from others who are would be highly unethical.
Ye, plus i think it's usually more interesting when we do our own take on other server's popular features, instead of just straight rippin' em. I'm sure we could puzzle out our own kinda critter raising.
(05-25-2017, 12:49 AM)Gannets Wrote: Ye, plus i think it's usually more interesting when we do our own take on other server's popular features, instead of just straight rippin' em. I'm sure we could puzzle out our own kinda critter raising.

BIRDS
(05-25-2017, 12:50 AM)zewaka Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 12:49 AM)Gannets Wrote: Ye, plus i think it's usually more interesting when we do our own take on other server's popular features, instead of just straight rippin' em. I'm sure we could puzzle out our own kinda critter raising.

BIRDS

Space Chickens. Sell their eggs and meat for profit. Train them for fights and beauty pageants. Breed them to develop special traits.

Chicken Stats

Gruff- How strong they are
Scruff- How much damage they can take
Munch- How tasty their meat and eggs are
Crunch- How many eggs they make
Glamour- How pretty they are
This is goonstation. Obviously, it has to be space bees.
we already discussed this, and i proposed plasma spores be the primary subject of our study. we're supposed to be researching plasma shit after all. and plasma's good stuff, you know? station runs on it, burns people to death, etc.
(05-25-2017, 03:20 AM)misto Wrote: we already discussed this, and i proposed plasma spores be the primary subject of our study. we're supposed to be researching plasma shit after all. and plasma's good stuff, you know? station runs on it, burns people to death, etc.

But spores are booooorrrriiiiiiing
they dont have to be. they can be changed to exhibit all sorts of behaviors besides "float there, explode if hit". any critter that is being subjected to breeding code is going to be receiving some extent of rework anyways, so

you could still cross them with bees to make plasmabees, and their juicy plasmahoney
(05-25-2017, 12:22 AM)Spy_Guy Wrote: As much as I like the slime raising mechanic, we won't port things wholesale from other codebases. We're not open source and we won't be, so taking things from others who are would be highly unethical.

Plus we use a different license, so it'd be a pain.

(05-25-2017, 03:17 AM)Berrik Wrote: This is goonstation. Obviously, it has to be space bees.

Agreed. We are, and always have been, that weird bee station. The fact that we don't have bee breeding already is a crime!
Why not just create the groundwork for a taming system and slowly introduce critters into it, eventually ending with funnier critters like wendigos with an insanely high taming difficulty.
Perhaps some critters have worse hostility which makes it harder to tame.

Alternatively make it possible to find baby critters/eggs and tame them.

Abduct baby wendigos and raise a small army of overfed wendigos

Critter obesity could be a thing too.
(05-25-2017, 12:00 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Critter obesity could be a thing too.

A wendigo that's too slow and easily winded to catch you and eat you, despite how much they want to
tamable weird machines when

On a more serious discussion: Make ferrets do weasel war dances every few minutes or so.
I'm going to say spores over bees because we're probably going to be doing a lot of horrible experiments on these things that's going to result in them dying painfully

Also, spores oughta be the base creature, and plasma spores one of many mutations from that
Does this mean I could finally tame a cat to ride? Jones the cat