Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spy_Theft gamemode feedbacks thread
(06-29-2017, 12:53 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: What about a Spy-themed camera disguised as something innocuous? Like a pen-camera or briefcase filmmaker. For extra style points.

Obligatory fake-beard camera suggestion

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/t...0704080315

EDIT: With the added benefit of potentially making barbers useful by needing a razor to get rid of it!
(06-28-2017, 10:33 AM)Sundance Wrote: ^^^ did you try where the guardbuddys are stored?

(06-28-2017, 02:02 PM)zewaka Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 01:42 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: isnt robot storage either the guardbuddy thing like sundance said or the thing under the ai upload/core on cog1, with the robotics terminal

It's the guardbuddy Depot.

MOTHER FUCKER!

I FORGOT GUARD BUDDIES WERE A GOD DAMN THING!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!

Suggestion: Change name to Guard Buddy bedroom?
apparently my post didn't show up: the little janitors room is just named 'janitors supply room' which sounds like the big one. also, you can get your own PDA as an item target, or at least as a clown you can. your own leg is achievable, but you literally can't get your own PDA
While amusing, it would be nice if there weren't requirements to steal other people's limbs. I don't even see how you can reasonably fulfil those unless they happen to wander into medbay/robotics.
(07-06-2017, 03:15 AM)Berrik Wrote: While amusing, it would be nice if there weren't requirements to steal other people's limbs. I don't even see how you can reasonably fulfil those unless they happen to wander into medbay/robotics.

Nah I like those, one time there was one of those and it was a hot item, I flashed this dude and dragged him to the medbooth and stole his leg black market style.
dunno if this has been suggested already but there should really be an item you can like, buy as a spy, maybe spend one item you've already collected to get it, that just is a pinpointer for the god damn locations you need. i just had a round where i spent half of said round looking for the cafeteria router (on cog1, checked all the cafeteria + kitchen maint with no success) and the PRIMARY tool storage. There's like, 4 tool storages and apparently the huge one near the bar isn't the primary one. Nor was the one near QM the right one.

I do like getting my own legs as objectives though, that's funny. I got my left leg in the first 10 minutes, so I went to cut it off and replace it with a tread, by the time I got it off, while fighting another spy who had no subtlety, the items had switched... to my right leg. Same thing for that 10 minutes
My experience with spy so far goes like this, spend thirty minutes to an hour doing fetch quests for items that are most of the time not worth the effort or completely unsuitable for stealth, then get given grave fever by a vampire and die.
theres a very low possibility that an admin was messing with the round, given they were afk and it was weird, but we just had a round with 11 starting crew, and EIGHT spies.
The quality of the bounty rewards varies wildy, a lot of the stuff is completely useless to your "murder all other heavily armed antagonists" objective, and the stuff that isn't is usually extremely robust. In the summary for a recent round one spy got an ammo box, kudzu seed, radio jammer, and a stimpack while another got two boxes of syndie donk pockets, a teleport gun and a safari set.

Matching a single spy up against 4 vampires (actually happened to me) or changelings and giving them unsuitable gear for spending 30 minutes doing *hot* bounties makes it feel like it isn't worth the effort, especially when you can make a backpack full of pipe-bombs and a flamethrower in five.
The other day I had an objective to deliver my own PDA (sorry i didnt grab a screenshot) I definitely consider that a feature, but found it very amusing all the same.
(08-02-2017, 04:07 PM)Dr Zoidcrab Wrote: The quality of the bounty rewards varies wildy, a lot of the stuff is completely useless to your "murder all other heavily armed antagonists" objective, and the stuff that isn't is usually extremely robust. In the summary for a recent round one spy got an ammo box, kudzu seed, radio jammer, and a stimpack while another got two boxes of syndie donk pockets, a teleport gun and a safari set.
I was the spy with the two donk boxes and the tele gun. I wasn't able to use the safari kit at all due to being too loaded down with random crap and didn't want to "go hot" by wearing an obvious traitor outfit.

That said, it was my first spy round, so I can give some feedback.

But yeah, the balance of rewards is a little odd.

Spy is hard to describe. It feels like it's almost there, but there's something missing. Some missing motivation between the crew and spies to interact. Like, spy might literally benefit from valid-hunting style paranoia, where anyone seen ransacking a place is perceived as a potential threat, but convincing the crew to act like that would be difficult.

As the moment, Spy might be a mode that works best mixed in with other traitor modes, rather than alone. In a sense, they act as the antagonists to the antagonists, a neutral third party there to ensure there is at least something going on for the antagonists.

That said, the highlight of my spy round was literally stealing someone's leg.
Mageziya Wrote:Spy is hard to describe. It feels like it's almost there, but there's something missing. Some missing motivation between the crew and spies to interact. Like, spy might literally benefit from valid-hunting style paranoia, where anyone seen ransacking a place is perceived as a potential threat, but convincing the crew to act like that would be difficult.

That's my main critique of spy mode as well. For the most part I was able to move around the station without anyone taking notice or caring about what I was doing until I was tricking people into coming with me to medbay where I would flash them and steal their limbs.

Maybe the spy could have minor espionage objectives as well? Something like "cut power to X area" or "disable the AI's camera in X location" would affect the crew and let them know something is amiss.

It helps if security is around and doing their jobs as well. Arresting/searching people who trespass and what have you.
(08-04-2017, 05:06 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote:
Mageziya Wrote:Spy is hard to describe. It feels like it's almost there, but there's something missing. Some missing motivation between the crew and spies to interact. Like, spy might literally benefit from valid-hunting style paranoia, where anyone seen ransacking a place is perceived as a potential threat, but convincing the crew to act like that would be difficult.

That's my main critique of spy mode as well. For the most part I was able to move around the station without anyone taking notice or caring about what I was doing until I was tricking people into coming with me to medbay where I would flash them and steal their limbs.

Maybe the spy could have minor espionage objectives as well? Something like "cut power to X area" or "disable the AI's camera in X location" would affect the crew and let them know something is amiss.

It helps if security is around and doing their jobs as well. Arresting/searching people who trespass and what have you.

Perhaps Spy might actually benefit from telling people what the gamemode is at roundstart, drive up paranoia and whatnot
Yeah, it feels like the main reason Spies can get around easily is because either security doesn't exist or people that do play security don't give a shit if people break in somewhere, as long as they're not murdering someone or breaking into security.

I always make sure people aren't where they're not supposed to be when I'm security, and I always investigate and yell at people if they break something to get in.  People yell at me for it saying it's not a big deal, and I'm sure 90% of the time it's not, but I'm more likely to look the other way if you ask for it than if you break in to get it.
^ if someone ever asks me for a thing i'm like 99% going to give it to them, unless its something i want, or a traitor item i stole from dead nerds.

if someone attacks me or breaks into somewhere to take my department's or my stuff, i'll kick their ass into submission and then steal it