Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Insecurity Officers
(05-15-2017, 07:27 AM)poland spring Wrote: Sec should be auto populated like the AI and Captain because otherwise we have to have Rambo be the only sec officer each round

Having captain and AI being auto populated usually results in the station having a noob captain and a noob AI, with the AI going braindead 5 min into the round because they could not handle the boredom of being an AI or being overwhelmed with "AI DOOR" "AI OPEN THE DOOR! "AI STATE LAWS" AI IS ROGUE".
And being put in a role you do not want to play simply because you did not set it to unwanted.
Still better than never having sec
(05-15-2017, 07:52 AM)poland spring Wrote: Still better than never having sec

It is not, They will go braindead, suicide or be a general shit, forcing you to do something you do not want to do is bad.
Captain is the only role I know of that will chose someone even if there is no one with it set to on, while AI IS optional.
(05-15-2017, 10:19 AM)Maegor Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 07:52 AM)poland spring Wrote: Still better than never having sec

It is not, They will go braindead, suicide or be a general shit, forcing you to do something you do not want to do is bad.

I still don't get this view
Ok so if they go braindead oh well we tried to at least have some sec
If they suicide, see above.
If they are shit, ban them. Just because people don't feel like playing a role doesn't give them a free pass to be shit and they should be banned anyways.
If sec is auto populated then more than likely there will be at least one sec officer who will actually stay and be sec, which is more than I can say now because 95% of rounds there is absolutely 0 security.
Captain is required because of the whole nuke disk spawning thing.

Edit:

I also support autopopulating sec.
(05-15-2017, 11:09 AM)Crazyabe Wrote: Captain is the only role I know of that will chose someone even if there is no one with it set to on, while AI IS optional.

if everyone has cap set to unwanted i think it doesn't? same with ai. it might just yank someone into cap but theres always someone with cap on for easy all access traitoring
I mean it's not like you have to do your job as a secoff. You could just spend your entire shift drinking in the bar, dragging people to medical, or quoting The Simarillion; there's no 'secoffs must arrest people' rule, afaik.
Yeah as of right now not having sec is fucking up the flow of the game way more than someone rolling sec, shrugging, then changing into a different outfit and being a staff assistant with better access

Like oh no you didn't get the exact job you want

Guess what we have a job dedicated to solving that!!!!

Like there's a ton of ideas in the game modes thread that rely on there actually being sec, please let it just make ONE DUDE sec
Thought: should the HoS also be subject to autopopulation from available whitelisted players?
Oh man that's a spicy meatball. I say yes but we need to give them a way to instantly deputize crew (with access)
Nah on that. Even HoS guys have times where they just wanna kick back in botany and smoke pixel weed. You can 'escape' from being a secoff by just ignoring your job, but you can't really do that as HoS.

'sides, HoS is just the cherry on top of the sec sundae.
I'm all for forcing a staffing for sec, though I think it should be based on round start population.

Say, 1 officers for every 10 people, starting at 10

Below 10, maybe just make it so the Captain can't be traitor and have them act as the sole security force.

(05-15-2017, 02:04 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I mean it's not like you have to do your job as a secoff. You could just spend your entire shift drinking in the bar, dragging people to medical, or quoting The Simarillion; there's no 'secoffs must arrest people' rule, afaik.

(05-15-2017, 02:10 PM)poland spring Wrote: Yeah as of right now not having sec is fucking up the flow of the game way more than someone rolling sec, shrugging, then changing into a different outfit and being a staff assistant with better access

Like oh no you didn't get the exact job you want

Guess what we have a job dedicated to solving that!!!!

Like there's a ton of ideas in the game modes thread that rely on there actually being sec, please let it just make ONE DUDE sec

Truth. Being Sec doesn't mean you can't have fun or even have to be all that competent. Sec is and should be held to a higher standard as far as being a griefer is concerned, but don't think you have to go into it with any sense of real responsibility. I try my best to be helpful in the role , but being a bit lazy or shady is okay too as long as you aren't a prick about it, and you can always dump the uniform and gear and no one will be the wiser
I like Frank Steins approach of the auto-population and I would not be too against it from that perspective but I must raise the query:

What do you want from security?
Is it just good enough having a shit officer? Is that as good as existance?
I'm getting conflicting information from this thead and the other thread that was necro'd, that you want a more "strict" security that follows "laws" and then this thread where any oaf will do once he's in uniform.
security is kind of like the ai, a mildly unpleasant position. much as ppl would complain at the ai for being a "supercop", its also easy for security boys to get unpopular and in turn make their play experience unfun.

what if roundstart security officers had their identities scrubbed and replaced with numbered callsigns like nukeops are? then you can be more of an asshole cop and youd only get blowback if you really stepped out of line and got the admins on your ass