Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Security Crackdown Community Edition
I used to play a lot of security, but i quit playing security because rude nerds kept pushing/stealing people i was arresting. >frown
(01-31-2017, 01:43 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: I used to play a lot of security, but i quit playing security because rude nerds kept pushing/stealing people i was arresting. >frown

That seems to have died down from what I can tell. Though in the past if someone did that to me I would track them down and arrest and beat them close to crit as punishment.
(01-31-2017, 01:43 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: I used to play a lot of security, but i quit playing security because rude nerds kept pushing/stealing people i was arresting. >frown

Port-a-brig. It's underutilized. Anyone tries to steal your prisoner away you can just zap them right back. I like to set the home turf directly in the brig so I can send people there and expedite their sentencing.
(01-31-2017, 12:33 AM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 11:20 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(01-30-2017, 07:47 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Sec also has some weird unspoken 'do no harm' rule. That throws a lot of people off. If somebody tries to kill you, kill them first and ask questions later. This is controversial somehow.
In my experience with robusting (rather limited, which may also be part of the problem), stun-cuff is much faster then murder. It's gotten to the point where I stun-cuff nuke ops, and drag them to some hallway, hoping that the unarmored Greyshirts can finish the job, while I go in and stun-cuff another operative.

Oh I don't disagree. Tasers/Stuns are vastly superior to raw damage in all but a few situations. I'm just saying don't be afraid of killing the guy trying to kill you and, please, don't jail and release the guy who killed 12 people in the open unless he was mindslaved or something.

Also don't forget about freedom implants because I swear to GOD every time I need to cuff somebody they always seem to have one. Banging head against the wall

(01-30-2017, 11:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: no one plays sec because it's the most antifun job in the game and acting like an annoying supercop will do nothing but make people hate sec more and put people off from playing sec

So people don't like playing sec because they're afraid of 'ruining the antag's fun' and getting some nerd angry at them? Sounds about right. In our current station a rampager would get more fight out of GTA npcs. Granted I'm part of the problem. butt

sec isn't very fun because of how reactive is. not many people derive pleasure from just sitting and waiting for stuff to happen so then they have something to do
As someone who'd gravitate towards sec, I suppose I've almost always been soft handed when it comes to crime. I prefer to extract salt from a player than to say, summary execution. I try to kind of put across to a player that they more they struggle, the more they waste their own time.
Following that line I don't agree with the whole idea that you should include the processsing in terms of brig time if the player is actively trying to get away. Resisting arrest around me will only make me INCREASE the timer. Well done clown, your 1 minute sentence is now 5. Buckle up, buckaroo.

I wouldn't really kill a player if they attempted to kill me, unless it was absolutely clear they were trying to kill me. I will chase that player down if I am cloned and give him no mercy. Although, it probably wouldn't revolve around murder. Removing both their arms and attaching shackles? More my style. Again, whichever causes them to expell as much salt is my preferred course of action, rather than the "common" justice. This would of course be toned down on #1, but for minor crimes that angle of "annoyance" over "justice" still would linger.

Cracking down on people who mess with the AI, that's also a big one. That compromises SO much security, you cannot operate a brig if there's a rogue ai.

One particular thing of note is "supercopping" which is really all down to dialogue, equipment and robustness. A robust cop probably doesn't need much equipment and is always ready to open a conversation, to show that you are an ear aswell as a fist, if you excuse the shit metaphor. I think a supercop is someone who, isn't particulary robust, has little to no dialogue but uses an assload of upgrades (robotics, implants, guns, genetics, chemistry, etc) to basically overpower opposition.
There's nothing wrong with upgrading your arsenal (especially if you are the lone secoff/hos) but if you're not ready to talk, then you might be labelled as a supercop. Of course there gets to a stage where, dialogue breaks down, but I think you get my drift.
I don't play security, but I still think security could be more active. Would make things more interesting if security would actually notice me breaking into everywhere and stealing everything not nailed down.
Also why are there eight lockers in security but only five slots for officers?
Brig suiciders is also a bit of an issue. I haven't really experienced this since I don't play on LLJK2 that often (Planning to as sec later today!), but what I'd do is simply space their corpse or donate it to the chef after having the roboticist cut out their brain and do what they want with it. Pretty fitting punishment for assholes who think that not cooperating and suiciding will give them a get-out-of-jail-free card. No, bud, it doesn't.

Also for the unrobust cops, try out the critter gauntlet! Practice your fighting moves against hoards of rabid tomatoes, martians, toolboxes, and zombies!

Also don't forget: Point-blank taser shots instantly stun.

But really, I think more people should be informed of how vital Security is to an enjoyable SS13 experience. They're not there to ruin the fun, the Sec team is there to stop you from either being murdered or make it rewarding to actually murder and much harder for Traitor McCunt to go on a c-saber rampage and steal the AI.
Security should definitely be more present, but it's easy to say that. I personally deplore playing security most of the time, despite having it on medium. It's just stressful, and half the time the security area gets greytided for no reason by people who know better.

Also, having a heightened security presence sounds good on paper, but the reality is the security officer will bust someone for breaking into EVA, and that person will declare the nerdiest form of vendetta against that officer. The officer will either get mugged, or the nerd will get arrested again and will likely suicide. Otherwise the cycle will keep going and going until the nerd wins or dies. And you know that turd is going to meta grudge the officer from now on.

Playing sec is fun!
Honestly, I don't think this thread is going to get anywhere unless it deals with the elephant in the room: 90% of the time, whenever a non-antag is making trouble outside of the standard breaking/entering, it's one of the same 4-5 robust nerds who dedicate their entire round to robbing people, tazing people with stolen sec gear, locking people in lockers and generally being as disruptive as can possibly be while doing everything short of murder. For the most part, sec rounds revolve on whether they decide to be more disruptive to you or to the antags, and a thread like this usually just makes them go 'hey, this sounds like a good idea', sign up as sec, then proceed to do the exact same thing, just with sec backing and weapons right off the bat. (see: half the post/ers in this thread)
Roomba raises good points. It'd be a little nice if there was a sort of button or something I dunno that was "this guy is a pretty extreme ass" and if a person got enough then an admin could review the claims. Though, that can probably be abused the fuck out of (but the admin part may prevent damaging abuse)

That's why I implemented a personal policy where if you "help" a criminal escape, I give you the exact same punishment they were going to get.

Also re: brig suicides. I tend to put their corpses on display in the sec lobby and announce what they did as a station announcement. Shaming is about all you really can do at that point.
I believe that button is called "adminhelp".
I don't think that's a good point roomba, and overly pessimistic.
If this thread is encouraging staff assistants / vigilante's / "sec-lite" to actually pick up the badge, then that's a good thing for several reasons:
- they get insight into why their behaviour can be a pain in the ass for sec in general
- they are under far more scrutiny as a secoff, and their behaviour could better adminhelped.
- it's one less vigilante in the round.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.
I'm saying that rounds pretty much revolve around said individuals and whether they play nice or not, and sec officers being meaner to the general populace does nothing substantial unless they actually address said dudes in a substantial manner. These guys have been playing for years and they know it's a pain in the ass - that's why they do it. As for adminhelping, I've more or less given up on that - I've seen at least two or three HOSes play exclusively to run around tasing people with an egun and robbing them with sec authority, and not once have the admins chimed in except to tell me that this isn't a matter for them.
Please name and shame these HoSes because they shouldn't be HoSes.