Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Reduce the access to med dispensers and lockers to only medstaff
Eh, I don't see a real reason for Sec not to have access. That's not to say that I haven't read the points listed in this thread: I have. I just dont think it's that much of an issue and if you really don't play MD, as you say, thrn I don't even understand how this is not a kneejerk thread to one round you played as a doctor.

I can safely say that a majority of the time I make my way to medbay and the doctors ARE sitting around BUT they aren't even wearing prodocs to see that I'm hurt and ignore my plea for help. It's only when I make my way over to the medkit table to get supplies for myself that they acknowledge my existence and try to push me down and throw me out of the medbay as I enter crit.

Okay, the janitor doesn't need access and I think everyone agrees. Sure, geneticists don't "need" it but they're medical staff. Security should have more access in my opinion. Seems silly that the law enforcement on the station needs permission to enter the kitchen, botony, and engineering. It should be the same as Destiny security.
Look, at a 30 player round, there is *at best* 1-2 security players on average. Them running in and nabbing a few supplies isn't draining on resources in the slightest. Them looking after themselves doesn't effect you, at worse all they are doing is getting in the way. At best they're probably after someone who is likely to make your job hell. If you see a lone officer run with a charred individual, perhaps instead of making a thread about why they can they heal that guy, how about actually doing your job and helping that person not die?
Because you see, that's literally what it boils down to. Captain/HoP already start with all access. Roboticist needs medical supplies. Geneticist are so-so, peeps feel they're medical staff so I cant argue with that. Janitor everybody agrees they probably shouldn't have access, and afaik an oversight, as "medical storage" or w/e its called IS a seperate category. Detective, probably could also do without, as he just needs into medbay and should remain in the sidelines and actually do his job.
So who are you left with? Secoffs. The 1-2 that spawn on average. You can hopefully see how I'm not really buying your stance. Whatsoever.

I do agree that there are too many medical stuff lying around, especially seen as there is med vending machines. This is a problem, as pointed out, with not only medical items and is putting some woe on QM too.
I firmly believe medical needs to be expanded on and self surgery removed, with the cave-at that there are plenty of stop-overs to REALLY make MD's of worth.
I also wouldn't be averse to medbay being rejigged so it's not so... self service.

Edit:
Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:Eh, if it were up to me I'd swap the medkit storage with cryo, people want to heal themselves, let them use that.

This is a very good example of a rejigging of medbay.
(12-17-2016, 03:55 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: After thinking about it,

Agreed.

The Janitor doesn't need to be a better doctor than a doctor. Secoffs only need access to emergency (defib, etc.) equipment with maybe a few choice autoinjectors (calo/atropine) thrown in sec.

IIRC, regular doctors are basically pointless.

How else can you RP former soviet brain surgeon turned janitor??
I feel like we've finally come full circle on this issue. I remember on Cog1 when the amount of medical supplies was increased significantly to the point where medical doctors filled the entire lobby up with medkits, even creating various patterns with them. "Need medical assistance? Do it yourself!" they said. Now on Cog2, there's simply an excessive amount of supplies in medbay. People have almost ALWAYS trusted themselves over the doctors in medbay, I know from experience because I'm often a doctor running around chasing people with patches "HEY GUY YOU STILL HAVE POISON IN YOU COME BACK PLEASE."

In my opinion this isn't an issue with medical doctors specifically but with the mindset of most players who play on #2. Many of us are happier to just break in somewhere to get what we need instead of having departments cooperate, and I don't think taking away medical equipment access from certain jobs (especially security, we barely have people playing security ever) is going to help whatsoever. Janitor? Sure, no reason he should have access.

I don't play on #1 but this seems very reasonable from an RP perspective. If I were a doctor on a RP server I'd lose my mind if everyone just barged in all the time and healed themselves. On #2? Not so much. On an average shift I still get a lot done in medbay as a doctor. Some of the suggestions in this thread, like getting rid of self surgery, I think are very good and would go far to fixing this problem.
(12-19-2016, 07:02 AM)Sundance Wrote:
Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:Eh, if it were up to me I'd swap the medkit storage with cryo, people want to heal themselves, let them use that.

I agree. That area should more or less be a public lobby/self-treatment room. It's weird to me people have to wait out in what's basically the hallway.
(12-19-2016, 09:08 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 07:02 AM)Sundance Wrote:
Dr Zoidcrab Wrote:Eh, if it were up to me I'd swap the medkit storage with cryo, people want to heal themselves, let them use that.

I agree. That area should more or less be a public lobby/self-treatment room. It's weird to me people have to wait out in what's basically the hallway.

And get treated in what's basically the hallway as well. Medbay should be more focused around the surgery, but the space and medkits right next to the entrance make it easier to treat people right there. Whilst it makes sense from a gameplay perspective, it makes no sense why a medical ward would put medkits on display like it's some kind of storefront. If you want people to pay more attention to doctors, shove those medkits in a ID locker and let the doctors distribute medicine themselves.

Bring the patient beds at the back of medbay to the front to get a proper treatment area, expand the surgery area backwards to accommodate more space, and turn the alcove next to chemistry into a cyro/pharmacy area.
The main medbay room should have nice couches for us to bleed out on as we wait. The hallway has some but they aren't really dedicated to medical use.
maybe botany will see increased med growth demand from such changes (doubtful)
I could see switching Cryo and medsupplies. I'd also like to see something done with the sleepers or something so people can put themselves in stasis while waiting to be healed. I'd also dig anyone who doesn't have medstaff ID having a chance to screw up healing and instead make things worse. The self service in medbay gets to be a bit much. I do remember back in the day mestaff used to lay out medkits, but I think we can agree medical has gotten more involved since then. I think a fair comrpomise would be to allow sec dispenser access for basic medical supplies while making the higher tier stuff Medical Doctor only? To be clear I play medical director quite a bit, just not medical doctor. Medical director gets access to some better meds and it makes the role feel more life saving, I'd love to see some of that moved to your average doctor, and it'd probably become my main role.

It would be interesting if the first aid kits only temporarily healed the damage, and the stuff in medbay and treatments in medbay were where you go if you didn't want the damage to start rolling back off.

Within a margin that you could actually heal so much that almost none of it rolled off. (six ss patches providing so much healing that you only rolled back ten health from healing back from orange in burns)

Just a couple ideas.
That's not a bad idea, having tiers of access to med dispensers. They could probably use a bit of a redesign as well to make things more user friendly, as well.

Maybe sort them by what kinds of damage and conditions they treat with a header, sort of like what was done with the HOPs ID access machine
All has been said about the 'Meds for SEC' topic.

I have mixed feelings about making the cryo-pods the go-2 for self-healing. On the one hand, it would invalidate all other forms of treatment.
On the flipside, despite that it really already should be the go-2 for all treatment, it's never used, and making it more accessible would fix that. On top of that, people queueing for the cryo-pods by laying in the sleeper pods would from a somewhat orderly que for the actual medical staff to review and treat, possibly with more conventional means to free the Cryo-pods for proper crit-patients.

Something else entirely:
What would adding extra sets of paramedic gear add to doctors job satisfaction? I know I like running around with a medkit and slapping the patches on people before they even reach medbay, but I rarely run into a proper paramedic when I need one myself, and frequently see that the paramedic-gear-racks are untouched.
Would more paramedics combined with easier access to health-implants result in a more de-localized Medicare and possibly more fun?
(12-19-2016, 08:16 PM)vampirate Wrote:  I'd also dig anyone who doesn't have medstaff ID having a chance to screw up healing and instead make things worse.

No. Never. Just... no.

DIrector and Doctors have the same access to meds currently, the Director just has the chem storage locker, which a borg will usually unlock for you if need be.

Being able to alter the sleeper's settings and then hop in would be nice but that's people self-treating, the entire reason for your thread here..
I'm all for having a publicly accessible cryo and clamping down on most medicines. There should be a few emergency kits around the place for like sec and workplace accidents but to get properly healed you should have to see a doctor, go to cryo, or break in.

I also do not believe that geneticists, pathologists, and roboticists should have full doctor access. Instead they should have access to a little bit of the basics plus a bit extra of whatever fits the job theme (spaceacilin for pathologists, neuro and rad meds for geneticists).
remember that roboticists double as surgeons for limb and organ replacement needs. dont cut them off too much, such procedures are already rare enough
Sticking to the original scope of the proposal, only 4 nonhead/MD jobs are especially affected/debated:

Roboticists: community generally seems to be on the side of 'keep access', I think enough of their job requires them to basically be backup doctors as well that I agree.

Janitors: Community generally seems to be on the side of 'remove access', a stance I more or less agree with.

Geneticists: Opinions divided, I don't think they especially require it but seeing as how they almost never interact with anything outside of genetics ever, am fairly neutral on the subject.

Sec/debt: the main sticking point of the thread, and since I don't play sec/MD often I'll stay out of that particular debate.