Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Reduce the access to med dispensers and lockers to only medstaff
I think there's something to be said for distinguishing medbay door access from medical vending access and not giving vending access to security/the janitor/non-medical staff. Security can limit themselves to the medkits laid out for them.
Erm? But I thought most were locked. I can't use the nanomeds or open lockers if I'm not a doctor/don't have medaccess.
I know for a fact the Detective can vend whatever medical supplies they want. I'd assumed Sec in general could.
also i really dont like this idea because: what if there's no one staffing medbay? this idea is built around the concept that there is always doctors in medbay ready to heal you but really it just fucks over people when there aren't
(12-17-2016, 07:22 PM)Grek Wrote: I think there's something to be said for distinguishing medbay door access from medical vending access and not giving vending access to security/the janitor/non-medical staff. Security can limit themselves to the medkits laid out for them.

This is my main point here
(12-18-2016, 12:24 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: also i really dont like this idea because: what if there's no one staffing medbay? this idea is built around the concept that there is always doctors in medbay ready to heal you but really it just fucks over people when there aren't

This is arguably any key position. no HoP? No id changes unless the captain's doing it. No Sec? Well no armed protection (for the sake of time let's say outside captain for all this). Medbay has the largest number of staffing positions with five doctors, two roboticists, two geneticists, and an MD.

As I've mentioned before anyone with any amount of cash on them or on their account can heal using the hall meds. There are medkits sitting out. 100 unit tanks of the big healing chems. If you don't give the doctor something you may as well remove them.

And ultimately, death was always meant to be a reality of this game. You screw up, you might die. You attacked by a guy with a gun, you're probably going to die.

The game's been made user friendly enough in my opinion that "only allowing medstaff to use their own dispensers and lockers" should not be game breaking. I mean hell, there's even ghost drones and antag roles so even dying isn't that big of a deal anymore.
(12-18-2016, 02:09 AM)vampirate Wrote:
(12-17-2016, 07:22 PM)Grek Wrote: I think there's something to be said for distinguishing medbay door access from medical vending access and not giving vending access to security/the janitor/non-medical staff. Security can limit themselves to the medkits laid out for them.

This is my main point here
(12-18-2016, 12:24 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: also i really dont like this idea because: what if there's no one staffing medbay? this idea is built around the concept that there is always doctors in medbay ready to heal you but really it just fucks over people when there aren't

This is arguably any key position.  no HoP?  No id changes unless the captain's doing it.   No Sec?  Well no armed protection (for the sake of time let's say outside captain for all this).     Medbay has the largest number of staffing positions with five doctors, two roboticists, two geneticists, and an MD.  

As I've mentioned before anyone with any amount of cash on them or on their account can heal using the hall meds.  There are medkits sitting out.  100 unit tanks of the big healing chems.  If you don't give the doctor something you may as well remove them.  

And ultimately, death was always meant to be a reality of this game.  You screw up, you might die.   You attacked by a guy with a gun, you're probably going to die.

The game's been made user friendly enough in my opinion that "only allowing medstaff to use their own dispensers and lockers" should not be game breaking.    I mean hell, there's even ghost drones and antag roles so even dying isn't that big of a deal anymore.

see i think this is a shitty argument because what you're telling me is "well these guys have it bad so these people should have it bad too" and those vending machines just offer baseline stuff. lucky enough to be near a vending machine and but also be unlucky enough to be hit with sarin? you're sol since they have no atropine. get hit with radiation? too bad there's no potassium iodide in those, either. also, anyone can just up and change ids. just mug the captain (or hos if youre feeling bold) for their id and get to work. this applies to every job, too. wanna make your own chems, bombs or go on your own solarium adventure? break into research and do that. doesn't make scientist  useless. want to cook yourself something? go ahead, break into the kitchen. again, this doesn't devalue the chef, either or any other job role. again it seems like this whole idea was born out of pettiness and spite.
Well, if we're talking about breaking into places, hacking a medical vending machine isn't that hard.
(12-18-2016, 03:56 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: see i think this is a shitty argument because what you're telling me is "well these guys have it bad so these people should have it bad too" and those vending machines just offer baseline stuff. lucky enough to be near a vending machine and but also be unlucky enough to be hit with sarin? you're sol since they have no atropine. get hit with radiation? too bad there's no potassium iodide in those, either. also, anyone can just up and change ids. just mug the captain (or hos if youre feeling bold) for their id and get to work. this applies to every job, too. wanna make your own chems, bombs or go on your own solarium adventure? break into research and do that. doesn't make scientist  useless. want to cook yourself something? go ahead, break into the kitchen. again, this doesn't devalue the chef, either or any other job role. again it seems like this whole idea was born out of pettiness and spite.

I don't play medical doctor, there's no pettiness. You keep trying to attack me because your arguments are so weak.

So let me break it down.

Limited access is simply a baselines part of jobs.

Not having access to medical vendors but still having access to medical supplies still leaves you generally able to keep yourself out of crit and stitch yourself up.

The chef comparison is weak at best because it is not a common need and most chefs will kick your ass right out. In fact all those comparisons are weak because their job is not interactive with other players.

Your argument that if you get hit by sarin you can't heal yourself? Sorry but too fuckin bad. That's kind of the doctors job and the point of Sarin. You're not supposed to have every option available in your toolkit. Part of this game is making due with the access you have and improvisation. Sarin was not made to be easily negateable by half the station. And security does have syringes of atropine in sec.

Implying that this is out of pettiness negates the fact that I don't play medical doctor but DO play security and janitor. I'm in fact asking for more limited access to two jobs I often played for the health and enjoyment of another job, and for practical reasons.

Lastly if a sec officer DOES feel they need that access, they can take a trip to the HoP like everyone else.
(12-18-2016, 04:09 PM)vampirate Wrote:
(12-18-2016, 03:56 AM)babayetu83 Wrote: see i think this is a shitty argument because what you're telling me is "well these guys have it bad so these people should have it bad too" and those vending machines just offer baseline stuff. lucky enough to be near a vending machine and but also be unlucky enough to be hit with sarin? you're sol since they have no atropine. get hit with radiation? too bad there's no potassium iodide in those, either. also, anyone can just up and change ids. just mug the captain (or hos if youre feeling bold) for their id and get to work. this applies to every job, too. wanna make your own chems, bombs or go on your own solarium adventure? break into research and do that. doesn't make scientist  useless. want to cook yourself something? go ahead, break into the kitchen. again, this doesn't devalue the chef, either or any other job role. again it seems like this whole idea was born out of pettiness and spite.

I don't play medical doctor, there's no pettiness.  You keep trying to attack me because your arguments are so weak.

So let me break it down.

Limited access is simply a baselines part of jobs.

Not having access to medical vendors but still having access to medical supplies still leaves you generally able to keep yourself out of crit and stitch yourself up.

The chef comparison is weak at best because it is not a common need and most chefs will kick your ass right out.  In fact all those comparisons are weak because their job is not interactive with other players.  

Your argument that if you get hit by sarin you can't heal yourself?  Sorry but too fuckin bad.   That's kind of the doctors job and the point of Sarin.   You're not supposed to have every option available in your toolkit.  Part of this game is making due with the access you have and improvisation.   Sarin was not made to be easily negateable by half the station.   And security does have syringes of atropine in sec.  

Implying that this is out of pettiness negates the fact that I don't play medical doctor but DO play security and janitor.  I'm in fact asking for more limited access to two jobs I often played for the health and enjoyment of another job, and for practical reasons.  

Lastly if a sec officer DOES feel they need that access, they can take a trip to the HoP like everyone else.

arbitrarily making the game more difficult for no reason other than you think the game is too easy does nothing for "the health and enjoyment" of the medical doctor and instead just fucks over other people and at best this would be like a bandaid over a gaping wound for the inherently flawed doctor job
But it's not arbitrary, the change is sensible and I've provided points on how it the game is still playable, as have others. Insulting adjectives only work when they're right. Do you have anything else to add that I or someone else hasn't already addressed? I get it, you don't like it, but if most people had their choice their id would have HoS level access
if you want more medicine you can see your friends down at qm :3 they can order more medkits easy for everyone. im sure they will be glad to help out

perhaps qm should get some new med supply buyables considering some of the updates, such as fresh blood+saline drip supply crate, atropine+defib for heart failures, etc.
(12-18-2016, 05:43 PM)vampirate Wrote: But it's not arbitrary, the change is sensible and I've provided points on how it the game is still playable, as have others.    Insulting adjectives only work when they're right.  Do you have anything else to add that I or someone else hasn't already addressed?  I get it, you don't like it, but if most people had their choice their id would have HoS level access

i've got plenty more that you conveniently chose to ignore/not respond to
(12-18-2016, 06:20 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i've got plenty more that you conveniently chose to ignore/not respond to

Everything's been responded to by me or someone else.  Please don't be offended if I just point you back to old posts from here on out.

Anyhow.  So far some of the ideas so far to counter the deficit were

1.  Give Qm expanded medical ordering access
2.  Make sleepers put a person in complete stasis for at least thirty seconds, while pda'ing a person's status to medstaff.
3. Give sec a small helping of extra meds in security.
4.  Make a couple of medical implant boxes spawn in medbay at the start of the game (no matter if this thread gets implemented or not I think this is a good an awesome idea.)
We already had a huge discussion a few months back about the ubiquity of medical supplies outside of Medbay and how it was affecting the game, so the argument of "but what if there's no doctors????" is a dog that won't hunt.
Eh, if it were up to me I'd swap the medkit storage with cryo, people want to heal themselves, let them use that.

As MD the kinds of injury that require the machines to fix are one of the few reasons you'll actually be able to do your job, aside from wandering the station looking for people too injured or dead to overreact to you getting close enough to heal them.

The mentality of injured players right now goes like this; head to medbay, ignore every healing item on the way, help yourself to the medkits and vending machines, run from the medical staff when they try to do their job and then leave the place in a state that's tedious for everyone to use. There have been times when I've ordered medical crates and left them in the lobby, taken tons of patches and pills and put them on the front desk, even stood outside medbay trying to help, people just walked straight past and ignored everything, going through or standing by the medbay doors waiting for them to open.

So yeah, you feel about as useful as a cardboard box with a smiley face drawn on it playing MD.