Mentor Application: Chase_1
Usual Character Name:Patton Compton
BYOND Username:Chase_1
Recommended by (if applicable): Hufflaw, Sourcielle trustscience, UrsulaMajor
Times Available:5pm-10pm PST M,W,F. Most of the day otherwise due to phone IRC allowing me to quick chat. 

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):
Well I've been playing Goonstation on and off for about 4 years now I think since Donut 2. SS13 and especially Goonstation is a wonderful sandbox game with plenty of potential for fun and mischief. I've done my best to try and learn the mechanics during my stay on the server having figured out as examples, how to set up the engine on a hellburn, multiple secret chemicals, basic bomb making and other dangerous/constructive things. I've also dabbled in the dark arts of fry and sandwich making as well as the loafer. Hydroponics is also under my dominion although not my favorite thing.

The reason I'm applying for mentor is that while I didn't have much of an issue starting out, it was because of my semi-obsession of reading the wiki of this due to the reputation of goonstation being obtuse. Goonstation has definitely improved in it's interface over the yeras but there are certainly things people don't understand, like using c to activate something in their hand, how to access a container in a container without removing it and so on. I want to be mentor to help people with this and to become the best menaces on the station they can be. Maybe they'll end up good. 

Also I'm very consistent on being on the IRC and interacting with everyone on their so they can vouch for me being semi-reliable and not being a complete asshole. 

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):Once by BlackrayJack that I don't even remember why/how it happened. I don't think it's even under my notes. 
bit shy of 300 words and i don't think i've seen you much at all to vouch for you
(09-27-2016, 07:05 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: bit shy of 300 words and i don't think i've seen you much at all to vouch for you

if its not yes or no then dont make a reply. i dont see you in game much but i see you in ooc a lot and you seem pretty knowledgeable, yes from me
(09-28-2016, 01:51 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 07:05 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: bit shy of 300 words and i don't think i've seen you much at all to vouch for you

if its not yes or no then dont make a reply. i dont see you in game much but i see you in ooc a lot and you seem pretty knowledgeable, yes from me

People can post their responses how they like.

As for the application, I've given this some thought.
See I sit in the IRC a lot. Like, A LOT. One of the duties of Mentors (in fact, the only 'real' duty of a mentor) is to sit in the mentorchat and respond to things. As such, as I see it, how often someone is on IRC matters. While it's always possible someone could be in a non-goonstation IRC channel, I find it logical to presume that someone's presence within the goonstation IRC is a good indicator of their commitment to mentorship. This is how I view things, you are free to disagree.

I originally told chase when he asked that I'd not back him as I'd not seen him enough... but I've given it some serious thought, and while he's not online for hours and hours at a time, for days and days on end, I have indeed seen his name pop up often enough in the goonstation IRC that I do, in fact, believe that he does have the commitment needed of a mentor (however much that may be)
Additionally, I have seen him from long enough ago, that I do think he would have to know his stuff by now.

As such, after some being on the fence, I'm going to say I back this.
(09-28-2016, 01:51 AM)NateTheSquid Wrote:

go backseat mod somewhere else.  i base my opinions here and on other mentor apps on ingame experience with the person in question, which i don't have with this person and so i can't throw my support behind someone i haven't played with. anyone can just repeat what they see on the wiki and i don't think that alone is mentorworthy
All of you shut up.

Chase I thought you were already a mentor so it's a yes from me.
Yeah! I trust Chase!
I have known Chase forever and they've always been great. Yes.
Ascertaining a prospective mentor's viability mostly boils down to asking two question:
1) Do they know enough about the game?
-and-
2) Are they trustworthy with the metaknowledge gained from being a mentor?

For Chase, even if you don't know em, #1 is evident by just reading their posts on this forum. As for #2, well, it's less about 'are they trustworthy?' than it is 'are they a shitlorde?', because you can't prove trustworthiness without trust. Since Chase isn't a shitlorde and spends more time in IRC anyways, #2 checks out.

Basically anybody who's been around for a month and hasn't gotten the whole server to hate them can be a mentor.

The 300 word thing has been weird on here, though. Plenty of people have been turned down flatly in the past, while it didn't matter for other. I honestly think it should be done away with for mentors, as you're just relying on people's knowledge of you if you cut it too short.

Ye.
I vote yet

Oh god, I meant yes
Even when blowing me up, Chase is great. They seem really nice and knowledgeable.
I've seen you around for ages, you definitely know your stuff by now. A yes from me.
Hmmm. Doesn't look too good for you (sarcasm).

I can't recall seeing you in game; however, from what I've seen in the forums, you seem knowledgeable. I'll add my "yes" to the pile.
chase bribed me with a cute bird picture to vote in here

but he didn't say which way I should vote so I vote NO, OWNED FUCKO